Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Leaning Slide

After about 100 miles of driving, mostly two lane roads, but not bad and not nearly as bad as some interstates, I looked in the driver's side mirror and saw the kitchen slide tight against the rig at the bottom and the top leaning out about 10." Got off the road and went inside...it seems that somehow the slide tilted out and while it was out a pet's dish slide under the slide...so the slide could not tilt back in. That dish has been sitting in the same place on the floor for 2 1/2 years of travel and never done this before. I pushed on the top of the slide and the DW pulled the dish back out...and the slide came right back in where it should have been.

Anybody else have this or a similar experience?

Suggestions on causes??

Thanks.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've discussed this before - I think it happens a lot more than people realize.

As a routine I physically hold mine out at the top while it comes in to prevent the slide from rubbing the floor. Not that the rub hurts anything, but the lino will tear if anything is actually caught under there (screw-battery-fork).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
How do you do this?
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not sure what model you have, but on my 3400 I can push the slide button with my left hand and straight arm the top of the slide with my right as it comes in. I just push out on the top of the slide trim enough to keep the floor from dragging.

Actually I learned this from MIMF of Lippert.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, have you ever noticed the slide moving while driving down the road? Is that what happened?

I've seen our entertainment slide move at the top when set up in a site and a strong gusty wind gets under it. But I've never seen a slide move on the road. It's possible I just never looked in the mirror at the right time, it but if it does move, I'd think by now I've have seen it at least once. If yours is moving while towing I have to wonder if something is not right with the slide mechanism.

Or do you think this happened when you're retracting the slides with the switch before you started driving??
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've never seen any of the slides moving, and all were secure when we started driving...I stand outside and watch them as the D/W retracts them from inside. After reading several posts, on the other thread, same subject, I think I have figured out where this happened. We had to make a sharp 270 degree right turn when going from a state highway to a divided US highway. Since it took a while to make the turn, it would have given the slide time to tilt out and stay out long enough for the bowl to slip underneath.

I don't have any other explanation.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Unless you guys have eyeballs that can see around corners, I'm not sure how you could see one tilt out. When I turn, the side of the Monty on the outside of the turn dissappears out of view. The only person I've heard that actually saw it was a member driving a Volve truck with the large outside mirrors and he just happened to catch it slamming shut.

However! When I leave the storage lot and angle through dips in the road intersection - the same dips I used to travel through in my 2003 Monty - this 2007 heaves to one side like the titantic after kissing an iceberg (because of the extra 3" travel of the springs with Mor-Ryde). I go slow enough that the slides wouldn't tip out, but I have popped open a cabinet once in a while because of the twist. It is quite possible that a dip in the road that causes the Monty to list to one side would be enough to tip out the kitchen slide.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I have seen my slides tip too many times I cut a 2x4 to the exact length and slip it between the wall and top inside of the slide put a big red flag on it so I remember to remove when setting up also put a piece of tape over the in out button to remind me only the kitchen slid tips all others seem to be ok it does happen alot more than you might think My first clue is the micro came unpluged twice and I had to remove to replug then Igot to watching for the cause now I know whats up and haven't had any problems the 2x4 works well and was dirt cheap
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote