Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The air bed couch drawer (update)

We have had a problem from the get go with the couch drawer opening during travel. We even had the dealer add some friction catches, one on each side. The catches were not successful in holding the drawer. We tried various means of blocking the drawer, all to no avail.

Well, it has all come tumbling down. The drawer slide mechanism self destructed this last trip. The drawer fell out of the brackets, ball bearings and broken plastic on the floor, slide mechanism pieces bent, all kaput.

I unloaded the drawer, removed it from under the couch, flipped the couch on its back, and took a look at fixing the critter. Bottom line, buy and install some new, perhaps stronger, slide hardware. I found a cabinet hardware store in Bryan, TX who thinks he has what I need. I will report on the outcome later.

One thing though, I may have exceeded the weight limit of 50 pounds in the drawer. Traveling with the weight cantilevered when the drawer popped open probably contributed to its failure.

Back to the drawer coming out. While looking under the couch, I found tie down straps attached to the bottom of the couch. I removed them. Never knew they were there. The short end I will attach to the bottom of the drawer in the middle at the front. I will attach the long one to the floor behind and at the middle of the couch. A quick snap and the drawer opening is settled.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Stiles, We had the exact same problem. After we got home and had the dealer do all the warranty work and one of those items was replacing the drawer slides. Right after the right slide failed I took my Sawsall and cut one of my 4x6 blocks diagonally the flat way. now I have two huge door stops (or drawer stops). I originally used both but have found that only one works better. I also put those 6 inch furniture slide disks under the feet of the couch so I can just slide it out to vacuum under it. The single stop holds the couch in place and keeps the drawer shut even on twisty rough roads. When we got the rig we found the same straps on the couch and as it was holding the coffee table upside down on the couch for towing we just left them in place. I realize it is a pain but with all the vacuum cleaner stuff and extra sheets and other bedding makes the drawer pretty heavy. I had thought of using mechanical latches but at the time I had the wood and saw so I just tried that and it works fine... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
My couch drawer is doing the same thing. I have been thinking about how I was going to fix the problem. Thanks Stiles and Dave for sharing.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, been to the drawer slide mechanism store. Picked up a pair of 100# test drawer slides for $15.00 and installed them. I could have purchased 500# drawer slides for $85.00 a pair, but...... Of course, the hole pattern of the two different brands of slides did not match up. But with a handy drill, modifications were successfully made. It took about 2 hours of figuring, measuring, and installing. It is done.

By-the-way, I am 600 miles from my dealer. $15.00 and 2 hours work VS. 600 miles.....well you do the math. Since we don't secure the coffee table with that couch strap, it now is positioned to hold the drawer in.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, As Mrs Country Guy says: Owning an RV means you have to be handy with your hands and handy with your cash. Others will say you let Keystone "off the hook" by fixing it yourself, but I say that's the only way to do it. As a fulltimer, I have nothing but time to repair my rig and actually prefer it this way, besides, I am out of warranty anyway and can't afford an RV tech everytime something goes wrong. Happy trails to you and yours!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Guess this is another normal that thing broke! Ours did also. bought new slides at Lowes, much heavier slides, now no problem. We do secure the drawer during travel also. Gotta love it
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #7
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I learned a long time ago on earlier camping rigs that if you use these campers for anything other than a few weekends a year you better be handy with your tools or free with your wallet. Campers are built on the ragged edge of engineering with less than the best quality of anything. Luckily I kinda enjoy some of the challenges as I wince at the materials and design. When I am finished with a repair and or modification I can usually claim that it will not happen again!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote