Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
No electric

The Monty is in storage. We went down today to get something out of it. The battery was disconnected. I reconnected it. I plugged the trailer into the truck and had it running. We ran the main slide out a couple of feet and then ran it back in. It stopped about three inches from closing, nothing in the way (checked that). The motor stopped and we have no 12 volt at all. I brought the battery home, charged it, cleaned all the connections and rehooked it up. Nothing. No 12 volt anywhere and I cannot find any fuses that are blown or any loose wires that I can get to. Even took the panel out of the wall over the stool, but could find nothing wrong. Any ideas????

JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Check the ground going to the motor. Check the wires going to the motor. Make sure all are tight. Probably a ground loose somewhere, but possibly a 12v wire.

Also, in the front compartment there is a breaker with a red cover on it. It is 50 Amps and could have possibly tripped and stayed in the open position. Check all wires going to the hydraulics to make sure they are tight.

Just some thoughts.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
thanks for the ideas, will check in the am
Old 08-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The slides and landing gear work direct off the battery, so even if your whole 12V bus died over the toilet, you would still have landing gear and slide operation.

I suspect you lost an inline breaker. Follow the battery cable to the back bulkhead and you'll have two or three little inline boxes with rubber covers. Under those covers are studs and nuts holding the cables. If you put a test light on each of the studs from ground, you should have power on both studs. If you only have power on one stud, the breaker has gone bad (they are supposed to reset after a few seconds, but sometimes they just fail).

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Problem solved! ! ! ! I have no idea how this happened, but the entire battery died all at once. It is a replacement Interstate battery as the one that came with the rig failed after 10 months. This one has been in since April of 07. Stuck a new battery in and everything is working. Never had a battery do this before. Usually die a slow and agonizing death, but not this one! Thanks for all the ideas.