Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
rckeeton
Established Member

M.O.C. #7669
Pigtail Wiring

Inadvertantly disconnected pigtail. Wiring diagram in manual shows color coded wire labels for the Bargman plug but only defines the breakaway switch. It does not show how the breakaway is wired into the junction box. I pull a 2005 2955RL. Any electricians out there got any ideas. Thanks, Richard

rckeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Breakaway lead gets continuous 12vdc and the other lead goes to the break circuit wire for the trailer and the Bargman plug. Plunger inserted (normal, not break away mode) keeps Bargman circuit open so no 12vdc to break circuit.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think the brake away is connected right to the trailers battery system, if the trailer disconects from the TV it has its own power supply to activate the brakes.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
rckeeton
Established Member

M.O.C. #7669
Thanks for the replies, but I need more help. The Barqman terminals are white(ground), black(charge), red(L turn/stop), brown(R turn/stop), blue(brakes), green(clearance and taillights), and yellow(auxillary). The wire coming from the breakaway are blue and brown/orange. The other wires from the rv are black, green, red, white, and within a red sheath a small black and a small white wire. I'm pretty good at matching colors, but I'm not sure what goes where, especially with the breakaway. Can anyone tell me how to match up these wires?
rckeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
You might check in this web site it is for brake controler set ups it might have something that might help you.
http://www.tekonsha.com/Wire/index.html

And here to.
http://www.tekonsha.com/Wire/PDF/Ceq...1-38-2006f.pdf

TT2
Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This may not be relevant, but it won't hurt to quote from a post I made a year or two ago. My Montana was a 2955RL. Note the comment about the BLUE wire/BLACK wire situation. BTW, my repair lasted until we traded that Montana just a year ago.

Quote:
quote:After a too long day on the road (almost 500 miles) we arrived at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park in Amarillo, Texas. All was going well until I was working on the final leveling of the Montana. I noticed that the fore and aft level needed adjustment and while that was on my mind I decided to move the pickup from under the trailer to lower the front. [yes the landing gear was down, hitch was open and clear] I pulled up just a foot or two...

That's right: the umbilical cord was ripped out from the junction box in the pin box. I had once upon a time forgotten the cord, but that time it pulled out of the "plug" in the pickup and no harm was done. This time every wire was pulled in two and the box itself somewhat the worse.

So I will spare you (and me) from the tragic details, but my first attempts at correction did not reach the desired result, to put it mildly. After dark I did some Googling and did find some very helpful information, but something was still not right.

Two things I can tell you: there is NO mobile RV service in Amarillo, Texas, and there is a very fine Montana dealer all the way across town from the Amarillo Ranch RV park. We made that trip across town and the service mananger and some of the mechanics took the time to educate me in the details of the wiring system.

Went back after consultation and a couple of hours later we were on the road again. Now here is the nugget of wisdom that prompted all this confession: the BLUE wires are to the brakes. Even that first evening I had all the lights working, but no brakes. Back to the nugget: The BLUE wire from our Montana end of the spagetti box is NOT BLUE but another BLACK. That had been my major problem.

Now, if you ever need help with rewiring the umbilical cord at the junction box--try Google and/or give me a call!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote