Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
Senor Fuego

M.O.C. #7266
Shower Leaks?

We have an 07 3400RL with a leaky shower. I pulled the inspection covers and found some small leaks in the cold water side of the shower controls. After fixing those I'm still getting a water drip into the front storage compartment whenever the shower runs. It's not possible to see where is is coming from. It just drips from the ceiling of the front storage bay. The water is not coming from the drain or the water pipes. The only other place I can think its coming from is the joint between shower floor pan shower walls. The joint on mine is not sealed. The walls just over lap the floor pan. Is that normal? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any other soution that I'm over looking?

Senor Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I assume you mean the inspection panels under the tub and it is dry under the tub. As for the shower walls, there is a difference of opinion about that.Run your finger around the top of the shower stall. Is there a gap there. Check the corners, is there a gap there . There is the notion that they are designed for water to run between the wall and shower enclosure to prevent mildew between the walls and they should not be caulked.We caulked around our shower enclose and we have no leaks.We did that after we noted that they are caulked in other brands and most motor homes. We do not know wich is right???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Check your drain and make sure it's not cracked. A very minute crack in the fiberglass will allow water to seep and then by capillary action run over to the wall and down. Also, the drain pipe could be a little loose. A lot of them have been found to be loose. Probably caused by not completely tightening during assembly and then by going down the road, shaking and bouncing, may have loosened a little.

Just the facts with my experience with my rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I have just chased our shower leak on our late 2006 3400RL. The water pipe fittings to the faucet control were all too loose. I have tightened them all up and the leaks seem to have stopped. What is really interesting is the hot water pipe only leaked when that faucet was turned on. I'm not sure if it was the fixture or the fact that the water pipes heated up and allowed a leak when the pipes and fixture heated up.
Another issue is that the top of the plastic shower insert is not sealed but the sides are. Since both my wife and I are quite tall, I'm 6'3" I would suspect that spray gets to where that seal is supposed to be and drips down the outside of the plastic shower liner. That would also cause a leak in the same area. I tested it by deliberately spraying on top of the plastic liner edge and water poured down behind the plastic and the wall. We could see it through the inspection hole behind the pantry with the pocket door open. When things dry out I think I'm going to seal the top of the shower lip as well. There seems to be two different theories about whether that is a good thing to do or not. But will continue to monitor for leaks before I do. Seems to me like it should be sealed.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Senor Fuego:
I tried several times to search this forum but was running too slow. Anyway, if you search, there are some posts eith pictures that show how to fix your problem probably. I can send you an email with a pic of where I found my leak. I don't know how to post it here. If interested, send me your email or search this forum as I am sure it is here somewhere. I found that the leak was in the frame that holds the glass (in the glass to metal portion) I used clear silicone sealer and fixed the problem. Was not the shower wall to tub base. Leave that un-caulked for breathing reasons.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I'm not sure we are singing out of the same hymnal. The area of the shower liner that I am referring to is at the very top of the liner up about 6' from the floor of the tub where it mates with the walls. In my opinion that should be sealed because water splash from the shower head reaches the top of the liner while taking a shower. There is no sealer on the top but there is on the sides.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Senor Fuego, we had the identical problem to yours but I'm not sure if the identical causes. First we had the leaks in the connections to the shower faucet.

The other leak -- pull the screws and then the side cover from the water connection center in the basement storage area. Then crawl into the basement. Behind that cover are many water connections, including to the pump, to the connection panel, and some others. On our 2007 3400RL when we had leaks at those connections, the leaking water came out on the kitchen floor below the pantry. Same place as the water from the shower came out.

Might be worth a look. We had a few connections leaking and even more not quite tight. Since tightening ALL those behind that panel, we've had no more leaks. That was over a year ago.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Is your leak in the basement at the top of the door? If so I had the same leak. Removed shower inclosure and found that the piece that goes up the wall from the tub does not go all the way to the corner. Filled in the blank spot with caulk and no more leak. I tried to find my old post on this that had a picture but unable.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
Senor Fuego

M.O.C. #7266
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rlwhit

Is your leak in the basement at the top of the door? If so I had the same leak. Removed shower inclosure and found that the piece that goes up the wall from the tub does not go all the way to the corner. Filled in the blank spot with caulk and no more leak. I tried to find my old post on this that had a picture but unable.
rlwhit

This sounds like the exact problem I'm having. I'm a little unclear of where you caulked to stop the leak. Was it truely necessary to remove the enclosure? Could you just caulk in the corner at the joint of the floor pan and the enclosure? Did you caulk at the top of the enclosure too?

Thanks for the help.

S. Fuego
Senor Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote