Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Fort Wilderness

We are planning a trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness in late Nov., early Dec. and would appreciate some information from someone who has been there. My daughter would like to get a cabin for her and her family and we would like to have a camp site as close as possible. I do have a map of the campground and I would like a recommendation from someone who has been there on what area of the park to ask for when we call for reservations.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I think they are all nice! we are going for Christmas this year. We wanted a preferred site, but they were booked.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We go there as often as possible, all of the areas are very nice. The slots are a little tight but manageable. I would recommend asking for space close to the playground/pool for the kids. I would also recommend renting one of their golf carts or bringing your own,(reservation recommended). They do have shuttle service that runs throughout the campground but you may have to wait at a bus stop for a while. Take advantage of the boat shuttles to some of the attractions. Bring your bicycles, have a ball.........Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
We were there last year and the sites are very nice, but tight!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Bill, I forgot to mention that if you want reservations for late Nov/early December, CALL NOW!!!.....Folks make reservations a year in advance for Ft. Wilderness, make that call now.....Pete
Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bill, as you may know Fort Wilderness rates vary wildly ($41-$96/night)depending on hookups and time of the year. 11/25-12/19 is their "Value" season, which is their cheapest rates. Sounds like that is the time zone your are aiming at?

Here is the rate page, if you don't already have it.

Fort Wilderness Rates

Also, you are probably also aware that they do not have weekly or monthly rates - just daily. Keeps people moving through, I guess.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Thanks everyone for the info, we got our reservations today, daughter and family have a cabin and we are set for the 1st through the 6th of Dec. We have a prefered site however they do not assign the site until arrival. They were very nice and told me they would put our site as close to our daughters cabin as possible, seeing that the prefered sites and the majority of the cabins are at different ends of the campground.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
When you folks say it's tight how tight do you mean, can a guy back 40 foot into the space or are they pull Thurs. Do they have pull Thurs? Are the roads big enough to back in from. We are going to start planning trip for next year with about 6 rigs going down.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Broome101, when you make your reservations be sure to tell them that you have 40 footer. If I can put my rig into one of their sites anyone can for sure. Another thing, if you don't like something about your site call the office, they are very responsive, let's face it they do not want bad publicity, they want to keep you happy.....Pete
Old 03-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We have been there 2x, once with a pop-up, and second time with a 30ft Dutchmen TT. This place is great and had no problems getting into campsite, all paved. There is shuttle service running on the 1/2 hour to all "loops". They clean the area continuously, groom the sites...you get the same "early" access to via boat launch to Magic Kingdom as the hotels get!
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #11
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
A word from someone who found out the hard way. Make sure when they assign your site they know your rig length. If I go back I will request (NO) I will demand a site that is on the outside of the loop. Some, if not all the roads are narrow and trying to get into a site on the inside of the loop can be tough to impossible. This is just my experience of the few loops I saw. I however did not see the entire campground.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Weighing in late on this but you're not leaving soon. Our worst camping experience was at Fort Wilderness. I posted back then regarding it. They made us wait for hours (we were only 15 minutes early) and then I only got situated because I had to (twice) go to the gate shack and explain we were sitting in a parking lot. When we got taken in, it was obvious that they didn't understand the significance of a 38 foot rig. Their sites were developed long ago. We squeezed into a small slab of concrete.

Not to rain on your parade, it seems to me that most people love the experience. We personally strongly disliked it and won't go back. If Walt's successors want my remaining arm and leg, they could at least take some of their billions and throw a small piece into entering the modern camping era and supplying nice and roomy sites. Again, YMMV and this is only my take. Nothing against Disney itself. But I'm in a beautiful campground on Sanibel Island right now and all is well.....
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote