Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #81
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Somebody get the popcorn

Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #82
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
Somebody get the popcorn
Not this time for me. I said all I need to say on this subject!!! Pass me a beer and the popcorn.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #83
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Jeez, this was not about whose johnson is bigger, but about a person asking about what gear ratios he should get, so all I was trying to do was show him a real world example of going over the Teton pass. For all of you others that thought I was bragging my truck was better than a Chevy or a Ford, you are clearly making something out of nothing!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #84
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had two Ford F-350's to pull our Montana 5th wheels . We live in a area with many Ford plants and we have many friends who are or were Ford Employees.

We purchase our Fords on the Friends and neighbors X plan with PIN numbers given by friends who are or were Ford employees. The equates to a considerable savings.

If we were in GM or Dodge country and had many friends that could provide discounts we would have a GM or Dodge product..That is why we have a Ford.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #85
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Ford because it suited my needs best when I bought it. Would I buy another one? Sure if it suits my needs best. I’m not brand loyal. Being in the Machine shop business taught me that. When you are in business you buy whatever works best for the job, jobs you will be using the machine for or you will soon be out of business. You soon learn to buy whatever is best for you someone else might come to a different conclusion. It’s the same with trucks.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #86
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
I always had Ford, Mustangs, Capris, trucks etc., the first "Dodge" I ever bought was a Viper. Then when it came time to venture into the RV world I just asked around and looked at the specs, and at the time, it seemed as though the RAM 3500 had the most towing power, so I bought my second Dodge/Ram :-). I think the Ford Platinum trucks and that maroon paint job look cool. But I was very nervous my first time and wanted a dually and leveling air bags etc. to be as safe as I could be towing a big Ol' fifth wheel.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #87
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The big three all have the power to do the job. The quality of GM and Ford are tough to beat. Ram has the best powertrain but it resides in a so so quality vehicle. It will also have the lowest ongoing maintenance costs.

Ford hasn't had a decent powerplant since the 7.3 and they are still are finding themselves in that regard. Pulling the cab to work on basic engine components doesn't set well with me. GM seems good all around compromise. Putting the Cummins/Aisin in the Ford or GM would be the ultimate.

I've had all three. Currently using the Ram 3500. It isn't the best overall truck but I think the best tow vehicle.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #88
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
never heard of that NP..
Good. Don’t tell anyone!
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #89
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnoyes View Post
The dealer I have been working with finally told me that I'm just going to have to order the truck I want because they just don't exist on the lot. I don't understand why they insist on putting the shorter gears on a big dually. If I wanted high mpg I'd buy a prius!
Ordering is clearly the best way to go. Unless you have deep pockets and buy new every few years you will likely keep it for years. Waiting a few months to have one built like you want is worth it.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #90
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I think brand loyalty is the driving factor, if you're Ford guy and get convened to buy a GM or RAM every little thing will bug you and you will regret buying it. Buy what you like, millage will depend on your driving habits and there wont be much difference between the big 3. As for order or off the rack, I live in FL and bought mine in NC because it was just what I wanted. Took me a week of going online to find it.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #91
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
all i know is as long as the def is required i will keep my 2006 6.0 F250 going. would have liked to still have my 1999 F250 with the 7.3 but a fool decided otherwise for me.
yes a good fully rebuilt pre smog 350 (any of the big three, but i do like the suicide cab door design) truck would be a great project.
every body can say there truck has more "power" than an other but i like torque,and braking ability better.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #92
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
packnrat, Cummins was actually happy that the Blue Def was required as they were able to pump out more HP because of it. I like the total lack of black smoke coming out the tail pipe, and I also think the smell of the exhaust is like bleach or someone doing their laundry? I get about 300 mpg when towing, and probably about 500 when not towing, so it is not that big of an expense, and my neighbors can not complain about the smell. This one guy in our neighborhood thinks he needs to warm up his pre-2000 diesel truck, and it stinks up the whole neighborhood.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #93
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
packnrat, Cummins was actually happy that the Blue Def was required as they were able to pump out more HP because of it. I like the total lack of black smoke coming out the tail pipe, and I also think the smell of the exhaust is like bleach or someone doing their laundry? I get about 300 mpg when towing, and probably about 500 when not towing, so it is not that big of an expense, and my neighbors can not complain about the smell. This one guy in our neighborhood thinks he needs to warm up his pre-2000 diesel truck, and it stinks up the whole neighborhood.
I am a bit confused. MORE horsepower by adding environmental crap to your truck????

Also 500mpg????

I love the smell of diesel exhaust in the morning!! But then I do work in the oilfield. By the way, thank you for your support!

Drill baby drill!!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #94
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
500 mpg for the Blue Def, not for diesel mileage. And Cummins struggled to get more horsepower out of their engines before Blue Def, and the EPA requirements to lower emissions, so once Blue Def was put into place, it actually allowed them to pump up their HP without emitting more pollutants into the air because of the Blue Def.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #95
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
500 mpg for the Blue Def, not for diesel mileage. And Cummins struggled to get more horsepower out of their engines before Blue Def, and the EPA requirements to lower emissions, so once Blue Def was put into place, it actually allowed them to pump up their HP without emitting more pollutants into the air because of the Blue Def.
Well as long as folks are still burning hydrocarbons I’m happy!!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #96
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
DEF isn’t bad on these trucks. It allowed the manufacturers to up the HP and get better fuel mileage. Better fuel mileage more than pays for the DEF.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #97
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Name a truck that made more reliable (except Fords) power and got better mpg than these new ones.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #98
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Besides, I like telling people the two ingredients that make up Blue DEF. Water and piss! :-) Well not actual urine from humans but a similar synthetic compound called Urea.

32.5% of high grade environmental urea is mixed with 67.5% deionized water to create what is known in the industry as DEF or AdBlue – the aqueous reductant agent that is used in conjunction with the SCR system. DEF or AdBlue along with the SCR system is what enables everyone in the automotive industry to remain compliant with the new standards that have been created for the purpose of cleaning up hazardous emissions.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #99
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Besides, I like telling people the two ingredients that make up Blue DEF. Water and piss! :-) Well not actual urine from humans but a similar synthetic compound called Urea.

32.5% of high grade environmental urea is mixed with 67.5% deionized water to create what is known in the industry as DEF or AdBlue – the aqueous reductant agent that is used in conjunction with the SCR system. DEF or AdBlue along with the SCR system is what enables everyone in the automotive industry to remain compliant with the new standards that have been created for the purpose of cleaning up hazardous emissions.
Is there a difference between a Walmart brand and a more expensive name brand?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #100
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
How does Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) affect a vehicle's performance?

Since the introduction of diesel emissions legislation, truck manufacturers have battled to reduce emissions while maintaining and improving engine torque. Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) is an aftertreatment technology, which means that it deals with emissions without adapting combustion conditions. In contrast, Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) functions by reducing combustion temperatures, thereby reducing NOx. The use of SCR has allowed therefore manufacturers to tune engines, improving fuel efficiency and increasing torque compared to 2007 technology.

What fuel saving can I expect from a truck equipped with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology?

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) is an after treatment emissions control technology, which deals with emissions outside of the engine. This means manufacturers are able to tune engines to boost performance and achieve fuel savings. The extent of these savings will vary, but fleets' experiences with post 2010 heavy-duty trucks suggests fuel savings of around 5% compared to 2007 models with similar engine specifications. PACCAR, Daimler and Cummins all use this figure in their 2010 model specs. Reports from customers using off-road machines with SCR are reporting fuel savings of 5% and higher.