Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Mor/ryde hits box sidewalls

I just picked up my 2011 2955RL with the Mor/ryde and found that I can't make a full 90 degree turn because the mount hits the side of the truck box at about 75 degrees. Apparently the Mor/ryde is a longer unit than the standard. If about 2" was trimmed off the rear corners it would clear fine and doesn't appear that it would cause any strength issues but the dealer said it would void my warranty. Have others had this problem, and how was it solved?

ps: I towed it 800 miles home and spent two nights in it, and both the DW and I love it. Absolutely no problems so far.

Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Seems to me that I read that some of the owners had to cut the back part of the support off because of this. I think it was about two inches or so that they had to trim off! I may be wrong but this old brain THINKS it read this anyway!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Rondo, I think I've read that too, so I'll scratch my head trying to remember and you can scratch your own head.

Since I have never, ever heard of a failure of a Mor-Ryde hitch I don't suspect cutting onlytwo inches to gain some clearance would cause a problem especially if there is no bearing support there. There might be a concern with how you do it, but I not a metalurgist or structural engineer so please don't go by my word alone.

Maybe you should call Mor-Ryde and I'll bet if you threaten that you'll have to remove their hitch and get something different (I'd recommend you contact the dealer to locate a suitable tradein alternative) they'd let you shave off a couple of inches or recommend something else especially if you aren't on the bottommost hole. Use your new rig warranty to get this resolved before it's too late.

Only having 75 degrees for a turn will get you in trouble for sure. It doesn't sound like the first 800 miles were too bad for you but probably because you didn't encounter a severe turn. It's not the mileage distance you have to worry about. It's that last 10 or 15 feet backing in or turning at a campground when you need to worry! Even driving 5,000 miles to get there won't mean anything if that last few feet is when you have the problem.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Can you rise the hitch in the TV to give you more height.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had this happen with my 08 2955RL with a standard pin box and not the MorRyde. My truck was an 08 Chevy with the deeper box.
The 2955RL does have a longer pin box than other models which allows the back of the cradle hit the top rails of the deeper truck beds. I am assuming the 2011 2955RL has the longer pin box also.

My fix was to trim about a 1" deep angle off the rear of the pin box mount. This fixed the problem and there was no hitting in turns after I did this. Lippert will tell you this will void the warranty. They obviously have not addressed the issue since 08. A well known fab shop in Elkhart called Lippert on my part about the issue and all Lippert could suggest was it would void the warranty if a modification took place.
The fab shop told me there would be no problem in nipping the corner off the mount if I wanted to do it. So when I got home I took an angle grinder and did what I had to do. Oh, I did have to spend $160 for a new top rail cap for my truck that this problem caused damaged to.

Here is what I did. Nipped

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Too bad Lippert didn't weld it there. That way you could have tapped it with a hammer and it would have broken off. Remove tongue from cheek at this time.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Despite what Lippert says, they can only void your warranty if they can prove that the modification led to a failure.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for posting the picture Jolu. Again, how many times has anyone heard of a failure at that point? I never have and I peruse all kinds of forums containing 5ers even their archives. Other stuff yes, but I just don't see how that kind of an angle cut could be a concern unless the lowest bolt hole is being used, but then it probably wouldn't be having the bed rail problem.

Warranty or not, I would do that modification. Just don't go too crazy with the nippers.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Thanks everyone, especially Jolu for the pictures. That is exactly what I thought would work. I'll do the same to mine. If a warranty issue comes up I'll deal with it.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Lee,
Why cut anything, I had same problem with mine I raised my hitch by 1 1/2".
I also had rail damage fixed that no problem after that.

David in beautiful Coeur d alene,Idaho
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
The 08 Chevy has a 2" deeper bed than the 05. I suspect the Ford may also be deeper than previous models. When I raised my hitch all the way up it would still hit the rails and also made the rig ride high in the front which has its own issues. Some trucks especially the dually 4x4s have tall bed heights which also contributes to the problem. There are several reasons why it is hard to address the issue without the nip fix in some cases.
The actual fix would be for Lippert and Keystone to get together and design the frame to accept the shorter pin box. This would fix it. I asked about the pin box lengths at the Texas Rally back in March and the answer was that each model is designed with a pin box length which is best for that model. That is a shortened version of the offical answer. Timandsusan posted the official answer from the Keystone Rep David and I can't seem to find it in my search.
I don't know what would happen if one was to put the shorter pin box on a 2955 that comes with the longer pin box. I don't think I would be the one to test it without some serious measuring.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I had the problem with my last rig, trimed of a 1-2" and had no problem., But raising trailer 2" wouldn't of not worked, trailer would have been to high in front
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Call Ben Wiginton at Mor/Ryde. I don't really believe you have to threaten them. They are customer oriented believe me. Ben is the service manager there.. ..574-293-1581
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
I have the same problem with my dodge. It is dead level now so don't want to lower the pin box but may try it and see what it looks like because I would like to have more bed clearance. If that don't work out I will trim mine.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote