Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #21
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

After waiting 3 hours at a norcold service center (camping world) outside of San Marcos, they diagnosed that the termister is not working (DAH!!) One is being shipping overnight to the El Paso Camping World and we have an appointment tomorrow afternoon (565 miles away) to have it installed. We are on the road again - heading for Vegas to check on my mom who is in the hospital with a fractured pelvis.......

Stay tuned.......
The question that is not being answered by Norcold is, Why do they keep going out? I for one am not willing to have to start paying for them when the warranty runs out.

Dick

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #22
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

After waiting 3 hours at a norcold service center (camping world) outside of San Marcos, they diagnosed that the termister is not working (DAH!!) One is being shipping overnight to the El Paso Camping World and we have an appointment tomorrow afternoon (565 miles away) to have it installed. We are on the road again - heading for Vegas to check on my mom who is in the hospital with a fractured pelvis.......

Stay tuned.......
Sorry to hear about your Mom.....that sounds incredibly painful. Hope she feels better soon.
You certainly don't need the added stress of dealing with refrigerator problems so hope this thermister takes care of the problem.
Judy
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #23
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fla hobo

We have problems with ours frosting over on the top coils, sometimes gets so bad it is iced over. I shut it off over night & it thaws out mostly. Then less than a week same thing over. We have talked to our dealer about this & they sent us a kit to put on the seal. Hubby hasn't done it yet!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think it will fix the problem. Ours is set on 5 & is just over 30 degrees, but nothing freezes, just the coils.

Hubby says if he drank more beer he would be in the frig more & it wouldn't freeze over.
I think that is normal for the coils. Seems to be tied to humidity. We found that we could turn the setting higher (warmer) and help the coils stay cleaner without the temp raising. A fan inside helps too.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rats..we have developed the same problem in 0ur 06 3400 Dometic fridge..It is 5 degree F in the fridge.Just noticed it yesterday. Would having the fridge really full ( min air flow) cause that problem...... we also have two hydrolic lines leaking.. It just never ends....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:42 AM   #25
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Rats..we have developed the same problem in 0ur 06 3400 Dometic fridge..It is 5 degree F in the fridge.Just noticed it yesterday. Would having the fridge really full ( min air flow) cause that problem...... we also have two hydrolic lines leaking.. It just never ends....
Sorry to hear about your continued problems. I would think that low air flow would reflect lower temperatures but not what you are experiencing. I would hope that these darn things are designed to put food in for cooler storage.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #26
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Rich--sorry to hear that you now have the thermistor problem as well. I'll yield to the experts on your question of whether a frig full of food would cause the temps to go lower--I would have thought that a full load of food would cut down the air flow, causing the food on the lower shelves to be warmer (cold air from the coils can't get to it), but wouldn't justify temps as low as you are seeing--the thermistor on the coils should sense the cold temp and stop trying to make things colder.

Update on our problem. When we got to the Camping World in El Paso to get our new thermistor installed, turns out CW had dropped the ball and failed to order the thermistor from Norcold. They did find another Norcold thermistor in their spare parts inventory, but the connecting wire was too short to reach the coils in our unit. So they cut out my bad sensor on the end of the thermistor and spliced in the sensor from the thermistor in their inventory. That got me back on the road. I plan to get a new thermistor installed here in Las Vegas and save my splice job as a spare if and when I have another problem.

Dick, I agree with you that Norcold needs to figure out what is causing this problem. When I spoke to them on the phone, they indicated that maybe something needed to be investigated to find the cause. While I agreed with that in general, I also needed to get a new thermistor in quickly both to protect Jo's medicine and to get to Las Vegas without delay. So when the tech at CW in San Marcos confirmed a bad thermistor, I pushed to get a new one in ASAP. When we fly back to DC in two weeks, we'll take the medicine with us and leave our Big Sky with the dealer here to see if they can figure out what's going wrong. Hope they are successful, although I'm puzzled as to what else in the frig could cause a sensor to go bad--unless it's just a case that Norcold bought a bad batch of thermistor sensors. If that's the case, I wonder if they'll ever admit it--or just try to work them out of their inventory over time.

P.S.
Thanks to those who have expressed their sympathy for Jo's mother. While she will have a long period before she fully recovers from her fall, she is doing better than we expected. Turns out it's a good thing that she is a fighter--her urge to get up and get moving around is just the right medicine and should help her recover more quickly and fully.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #27
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
My local repair shop that is working with me and Norcold said that Norcold now wants the vin number and the date of purchase of our Montana before they will do anything else. Interesting as I registered the warranty with them several months ago.

They also said that if the refer starts to frost over on the inside and the thermistor gets too cold it will damage it. So I guess when the frost free refer turns into a freezer and frosts over we have a problem

I have to keep pressure on the repair shop to keep the pressure on Norcold to get it fixed right.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #28
jeffwilliams1954
Established Member

M.O.C. #7585
You guy's are going about this the wrong way. What you need to do is contact Keystone and tell them all of your problems and where you want to take the unit to. Ask them to assign a Customer Service to you, someone who you can be in direct with contact. Keystone will ship you the parts to what ever dealer you would like to go to. They have done this many times for me. I don't see why any of you would be any different. I had too many problems with dealers not getting the job done, so from now on I just give Keystone a call and they take care of everything. There are a lot of people out there who can tell you that this is the only way to get everything done the right way. Good luck and I hope this helps.
jeffwilliams1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are out of warranty with keystone but still in warranty with Domitec..You can get faster service by dealing direct with the vendor and they will have established repair facilites that service their product in the area... It has worked well for us..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote