Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Lost Spare Tire

Traveling from Albuquerque, NM to Lakewood, NM on October 16, 2006, we lost our spare tire & wheel. It appears that the bracket worked loose and allowed the wheel to slip off the cable. It wasn't stolen. It fell off while traveling and we didn't notice it until we arrived at our destination.

I've ordered a new wheel and tire and this time I will strap it up against the brackets that it rests against, then cable it with a bicycle cable and lock.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Did that on our new 3400 on the advice of another forum member. If you get under there and take a good look at that set up you will see that it is not real stout. If you do a lot of traveling it will be a good idea to firm up under there. Also as part of you outside check list along with ..check lug nut torque should be check Spare tire holder for tightness..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al tells me that tire needs to be fully inflated as well, or it can come out of that holder fairly easy. He gets down there and "kicks" the tire every now and then to be sure it is not wiggling around.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
YOW!!! I sure hope that there wasn't a vehicle behind you when it let go, that could have been a real mess.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Traveling from Albuquerque, NM to Lakewood, NM on October 16, 2006, we lost our spare tire & wheel. It appears that the bracket worked loose and allowed the wheel to slip off the cable. It wasn't stolen. It fell off while traveling and we didn't notice it until we arrived at our destination.

I've ordered a new wheel and tire and this time I will strap it up against the brackets that it rests against, then cable it with a bicycle cable and lock.

Orv
Orv,

Thanks for the heads up. I am wondering if you have given any thought to reporting this to the National Highway Transportation Safety Board as this is certainly a safety hazzard for those that may be following a coach when the spare lets go. Enough reports to the NHSTSB might result in a safety recall that would force the manufacturer to correct the problem and might save someone's life.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I am wondering if you have given any thought to reporting this to the National Highway Transportation Safety Board as this is certainly a safety hazzard for those that may be following a coach when the spare lets go. Enough reports to the NHSTSB might result in a safety recall that would force the manufacturer to correct the problem and might save someone's life.
I had given some thought to reporting the mishap but then realized that most likely it was my fault for not checking the tightness of the wheel against the frame like I should have. It reminds me of the time in 2002 while traveling on the freeway around Oakland, CA when we lost the right rear wheel of the rig. Heard it but didn't see where the wheel went. Lot's of traffic that day but it didn't appear that the wheel hit anyone. Again, probably my fault although I had checked the lug nuts.

Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. Rough roads, quick maneuvers like swerving, emergency stops, etc., all contribute to some of the problems we have. I don't believe any manufacturer can forsee these things when they build the rigs. One of the major reasons I had the Mor/Ryde Individual Suspension axles installed was to reduce the negative shaking and stress on the rig.
Orv
Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639

Quote from ols1932
"I had given some thought to reporting the mishap but then realized that most likely it was my fault for not checking the tightness of the wheel against the frame like I should have. It reminds me of the time in 2002 while traveling on the freeway around Oakland, CA when we lost the right rear wheel of the rig. Heard it but didn't see where the wheel went. Lot's of traffic that day but it didn't appear that the wheel hit anyone. Again, probably my fault although I had checked the lug nuts."

I believe that you are right on some of those items, but I have noticed that the tire lift system is not a lockable crank, if it gets worn to a point it will let the crank unwind, and you already know whats going to happen next. I will probably get a salvaged spair tire cable system for a pick-up from a junk yard and change it over somehow, they are lockable to prevent theft and mishaps of a tire ratcheting down.
What I dont understand is, if the tire is conected to the cable how come it didnt bounce around back there before it broke the cable, you are lucky it didnt damage your trailer, is there a possability that maybe it was stolen and you noticed it missing the next time you were in that area of the Monty. just a thought sorry.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We use gun locks on ours. They are free from most sheriff offices. The lock is not very strong but the cable is steel with plastic encased. Will work until we get something better. They gave us 4 of them. So one or two should hold.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:40 AM   #9
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
When I installed a chain and lock on my spare I noticed that the "ears" on the bar that hold the spare up were not adjusted to hold the bar so that it is centered on the spare rim. I adjusted the "ears" so the the bar cannot move. If the bar can move it would be possible for the bar to shift enough to allow the spare to drop off the bar.
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Just for clarification, the cable did not break. I believe that the wheel was probably just loose enough to allow some bouncing such that the bracket on the end of the cable probably jostled a little to one side and then the weight of the wheel caused it to pull through the wheel. Although the mechanism is flimsy, it was really my fault for not using some sort of strap (can be purchased at Wal-Mart) and securing the wheel to the rig frame. I guarantee that I will not lose another spare tire, dropping off or being stolen.

Orv
Old 11-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #11
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
I just changed a bad tire the other day with the spare and was wondering how the spare could be better secured. If anyone has done anything with this can you share what type of strap or other you used? thanks
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have about 30K on our rig and have had to change all four tires at one time or another. Each time we just ratchet the tire down to the ground and take it off. We then go get another tire and have them replace the spare. They just ratchet it up and off we go. Never had any problem with it. We do keep the air up to the proper level. You never know when you're going to need it! I have also had several pickups and each of then had the same type arrangement. I can't speak to the level of construction since I've never really paid any attention to it. I just assume it will work as it is supposed to. So far so good.

I doubt that there is sufficient failure rate to require a recall of any sort. But it might be something worth looking into just to get good numbers.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote