Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Dicor roof repair

I have a Dicor rubber roof on my 2006 3495rk. I think it might be wise to carry a "just in case" repair kit. I called Dicor and they said we have such a wide distributor network, there is no need to carry a repair kit. Also, the shelf life of lap sealant or other items in the repair kit might expire leaving me unable to make a repair when the time came.

Do you carry anything for emergency repairs to the roof? What do you recommend?

Thanks to all,
Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I carry a roll of 4 inch wide Eternabond roofing tape for those rare occasions when a problem may arise. It came in handy when the tape on one slideout began to peel up and I was able to quickly repair it. Just be sure to clean the spot that needs repair with rubbing alchohol to remove any dirt, oil, pollutants, etc., before you put the tape down. It will stick!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I would go with ols idea too. You may not need the stuff for 5 years and it would be set up in the tube. Get the tape and if you need the other you get it then. I will say one thing for the lap sealant, we had a tree punch three holes in our roof two summers ago from the storms. I used a wooden 1 1/2" dowel and pushed it in the holes with panel adhesive and then put the tape over that. I then used the sealant and its still good and tight.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also carry the Eternabond tape. It's pricey but is really great.

As for the large network of service centers, are they open on Saturday afternoons, Sundays, and holidays? Or when you are out in the boonies and don't want to drive without the fix because of additional damage that would cause? I think I'd rather spend the $80 for the roll of Eternabond tape. Just an opinion. We traveled about 35k miles in our fulltiming without this tape and never needed it. But now I'm glad to have in onboard. Just in case.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I also carry the Eternabond tape. It's pricey but is really great.

As for the large network of service centers, are they open on Saturday afternoons, Sundays, and holidays? Or when you are out in the boonies and don't want to drive without the fix because of additional damage that would cause? I think I'd rather spend the $80 for the roll of Eternabond tape. Just an opinion. We traveled about 35k miles in our fulltiming without this tape and never needed it. But now I'm glad to have in onboard. Just in case.
Steve,
I think I've mentioned this at another time, but I purchase my Eternabond tape from www.bestmaterials.com for about $45 a roll. Check it out next time you need some.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's a significant price difference. Thanks, Orv. I'll bookmark that site.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks everybody. I love this forum. Looks like eternabond can get me thru the emergency phase of a big event, and so the entire fix for a small event.

I haven't towed this thing yet, so I am looking forward to an interesting Spring and Summer.

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote