Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
Montana_3008

M.O.C. #3008
50 amp recepticle

Need to know if the 50 amp plug in recepticle for shore power is 220 volt single phase. Our old box was for a 30 amp but our Monty has a 50 amp plug. Also is this a 4 wire feed from my power distribution panel? Any diagrams or help would be a BIG help!

Thanx,
Mike & Jan and our
retarded poodle Wizzer.

Montana_3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike Day

Need to know if the 50 amp plug in recepticle for shore power is 220 volt single phase. Our old box was for a 30 amp but our Monty has a 50 amp plug. Also is this a 4 wire feed from my power distribution panel? Any diagrams or help would be a BIG help!

Thanx,
Mike & Jan and our
retarded poodle Wizzer.
Read the following link completly. It should answer your questions. Lots of confusion on 50 Amp circuits!

http://users3.ev1.net/~crossstitch/RVWiring/wiring.html
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I plug my 50 amp plug into my 220 at the house. A 220 plug is, in effect, two 110's in the same plug. The top wire is your neutral the two side wires is your hot 110's and the bottom is your ground. Inside my interior junction, one of the hot wires feeds the 30 amp breaker and the other feeds my 20 amp breaker. So at the campground, the 50 amp service is basically just a 220 plug. When you use an adapter to plug into a 30 amp service, you are adapting to a three wire 30 amp 110 volt service.

These statements qualify as rumor at best because I am not an electrician. Things that exist based on the square root of minus one (an imaginary number) confuse me.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, I assume that 30amp box is the source you plug the cord into? If so, you can still use it. You can get an adapter at any RV store, Walmart, etc. In fact, we usually plug our 50amp service Montana into 30amp at RV Parks using an adapter. We use a pigtail at the Montana end so I can use my 30amp RV extension cord instead of hauling out that heavy 50amp cord. But you also can use a 50-30amp adapter at the box end if you want. Works fine if you don't try to use more than 30amps at one time in the coach.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Steve, where did you get the pigtail to use at the Montana end? All I can find are the ones that go at the other end where I plug into campground power. I'm really tired of lugging the 50A cord around when more often than not, the service available is only 30A.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Sharon,
I was looking for a lighter cord to use on the road, instead of the large black snake cord they provide.
I went to a RV store looking and they found at a boat supply place a 30 amp cord with a 50 amp plug.
They also had the adapter for 50 amp plug to a 30 amp plug.
Well anyway, the plug adapter was like $95.00 and the plug with a 30' cord was like $135.00.
So if you figure the adapter + a good cord would cost me about the same I bought the 30' cord.
It works great and I leave the large black snake home.
Hope this helps.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:16 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gypsy, I got it at CW. It's a bit pricey but worth its weight in gold to me. It also has the threaded ring that helps lock the pigtail to the threads on the Montana. It could still be stolen but they'd have to take the time to unthread it, when I bother to thread it.

This link is to this item at camping world:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...12854&src=SRQC

I see they now have one with a 25' cord for about $30 more. The link is on the above page. That would be nice to have but was not available when we bought our pigtail.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I have the yellow one pictured above with the 25ft cord, bought it at CW and have used it since day one, that big black one is in the basement of the stick house, never used.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:59 AM   #9
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Thanks for the info, Steve, Sven and Bill. I'll look for the pigtail next time I'm at Camping World. It's even on sale!
Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:06 AM   #10
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I got the same pigtail Steve has at RV Parts Outlet. Price was $71.00. At home I only have a 15 amp plug on the outside of the house so I use the 30amp pigtail with a 30-15 adapter. Everything works fine as long as you don't draw too much current. We had the TV, fireplace on the other day. When Glenda turned on the micro it popped the breaker in the house. We are trying everything we can on our new 3475 before we take it to our summer campsite. Hopefully I can find and resolve all bugs by then.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote