Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Staying Connected

It's really important to have the 7 pin connector remain in place and making good electrical connections. Just wondering what others do if anything to improve the electrical connection. So far, the only thing I do is place a very heavy rubber band over the connector door to hold it to the cable. Undecided on any treatment to the contacts.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've never had a problem with the umbilical cord come out on me and I don't do anything different. I have had it pull out one time and that was my own fault since I put the cord next to my 4X6s that I put under the front legs when setting up and it got caught on them as I made a tight turn in a campground. It did pull out of the receptacle partway and I was immediately notified by my indash notice. I've seen some put springs on the cord and connect it to the pinbox to keep it up off the floor and other possible items it could catch on. I have the Blue Ox Bedsaver and it keeps the cord out far enough away from the hitch itself normally.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This connector seems to be stable but my 03 truck would loose the brakes connection with the slightest vibration.

I will probably upgrade to this connection this year Trailer Electronic Technology for Safer, Easier Connection, by H. Kent Sundling, EZ - Connector. It is held by a strong magnet.

Note: I may have to pay almost double because I will need at a minimum a trailer to truck interface so others with my current plug can move my trailer if needed. I will also probably get a truck to trailer interface incase I need to help some one.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I had a standard plug-in installed in front of the wheel well and since I did that no problems. If I use the standard one on the bumper my cable can drag and the one in the back of the bed caused the cable to hook on my generators and pull out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My standard plug is snug and tight and the safety tabs meet quite well so that it does not come apart. However, I must say as a rare-timer, it doesn't get used as much as long-timers or full-timers and maybe things have just worn down.

If it started to get flaky, I'd consider replacing both ends and getting it back to new and tight once again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
I have had my brake line and charge line become intermittent this last 6 months. With the Bargman plug I squeezed the terminals back together with needle nose pliers. That fixed the intermittant brake line (my dash info center let me know I was loosing my brakes). However, the charge line contacts have corroded away due to the poor connection, so now I have to replace the plug. My son drives an over the road 18 wheeler for a living and says that poor contacts over time are not uncommon. He suggested the fix with the needle nose pliers and it worked for me. IMHO.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have a standard in bed plug. I have had no issues in the past 8 years ... just plug it in and go. The stock cap lock has always been adequate.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
10-4 Dieselguy, mine has a flap, or door with a hook on it that retains the male end.
Contact cleaner, I use this in my HVAC Business, swear by it.
Ripped off from the Internet
CRC's QD Contact Cleaner is a must for any shop or garage. This cleaner is designed for use on sensitive electronic equipment and is plastic safe. Use on your Mass Air Flow sensor, electrical connectors, fuse blocks and so much more. 11 oz aerosol.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have the connection that H John Kohl has a picture of. Yes it is a very strong magnet; and won't go anywhere. make sure you get the conversion thingy so you can pull another trailer and they can pull you. Paul says you have to eat your Wheaties
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
When the connector is properly seated, the lid on the truck side has a latch that holds the trailer end in place if fully seated. I have never , in 40 yrs had trouble with one coming loose.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Roger that, Hook. Me either.
Maybe if a guy has a bumper connection there might be an issue, but doesn't it have the same latch?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

When the connector is properly seated, the lid on the truck side has a latch that holds the trailer end in place if fully seated. I have never , in 40 yrs had trouble with one coming loose.
I thought I check mine this morning before I left. About 70 miles into the trip I got a lost trailer connection ref brakes. The plug was loose. I stopped and reset it three times before I finally felt it was locked.
Definitely want the magnetic one. I use my bed connection not the bumper.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have a standard metal Bargman connector- The spring that holds the door shut does rust and get weak enough to break- The plastic Bargman wears off the latch over time and will release the connector- So, we check the condition of the parts each time we plug in- We had a failure once long ago so we know to check things out- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote