Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Onstar/Verizon dissolution causes problems

First, a little background. We own a 2007 GMC Sierra that has never had a dealer installed software update. We also have had, from the start, Verizon for our provider - we added the truck to our plan as an additional cell phone. Well, they are no longer doing that (Verizon stopped this in 2009 if I recall) and as of the end of the year those of us who were grandfathered will have to revert to Onstar.

We did the change and then we couldn't make a phone call nor could Onstar receive any "data" from us.

We would like to know if anyone else who was in our situation has experienced the same symptoms.

Here is the letter we sent to Onstar:

Quote:
quote:I received a text message from Verizon stating that as of 12/31/2011 the Nationwide Plan with Onstar would be discontinued. I received this text on April 29.

I telephoned Onstar at 877-859-7735 the same day. I requested that the Verizon telephone number be disconnected and to have a new number provided by Onstar. I was told to push the blue button when next in the vehicle to complete the order.

I pushed the blue button on Tuesday, 5/3 and could not complete a data connection with Onstar although both the blue and emergency buttons would eventually connect me to an advisor in the "blue button department". Nor could I make or receive telephone calls. It should be noted that on 4/27 I was able to make and receive phone calls.

I was advised to take it to a GM dealer. I did so and after spending $144 for a diagnosis that states: "FOUND NO GPS SIGNAL. REPROGRAMMED CELLULAR SYSTEM", I can now make and receive calls.

I believe that the cancellation and subsequent transfer to Onstar on Friday caused this problem. Or more specifically, that the transfer was somehow incompatible with my software version.

I feel that I should be refunded the $144 for this reprogramming. I further think that additional customers will experience this same problem - those that have the same software version I had prior to the reprogramming.

I look forward to a response.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Interesting. I was told our service with Onstar was actually Verizon service. I hardly ever use the phone in the truck, except for "wrong numbers". I bought additional minutes in January, 2011. Perhaps I need to try the phone.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The coverage as I understand it has always been with Verizon whether you purchased minutes from Verizon or added the vehicle phone to Verizon's Nationwide Family Share Plan, which we did. I believe that our problem occurred because we went from the Nationwide Plan back to purchasing minutes from Onstar, and that when we did, our software version was incompatible with Onstar's front end to the Verizon network.

The purpose of this post is to inform and gather statistics of those who have similar difficulty when reverting to purchasing minutes from Onstar so that if it can be empirically shown that there is a trend with older vehicles (those that have earlier software versions), we can get Onstar to reimburse us for the reprogramming fee paid to the dealer.

Thanks,
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Michael:
I agree that you should be due the $144.00 for reprograming as it wasn't your fault to start with. Another avenue of persuit is that section of the Good Sam magazine that helps people collect bills that they are due....Good luck....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
TSB 00-08-46-004C JANUARY 2008 OnStar(R) - Re-establishing OnStar(R) Communications

I find that service bulletin interesting. Sounds like they had some problems. IIRC, they changed from analog to digital sometime back then. I can't find a full view of it anywhere, as I don't subscribe to any of the sites. Seems to me if this was the issue, the dealer should have done it at GM's expense as the TSB was issued by GM.

Good luck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Deadeye - what a great suggestion about GS!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Maybe this could be a solution and also for those who have On-Star but not activated:

Replace GM Onstar with Bluetooth

Edited: I can't find the stupid Onstar module in my 2007 Saturn!!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Michael, I frankly don't know who our OnStar is with. I've had no problems with our OnStar in the 2007 2500 Chevy. Never had a phone problems at all. I've added minutes three times now with no problems. I don;t have the navigation on it but do have the intruck phone. We did have a problem with the new car on our trip out West. As we were coming across Wyoming we had no reception on the radio or the OnStar. I think it was a total dead spot for anythng! I think Jack has a good idea in contacting Good Sam. Let us know how things turn out and we'll watch for your article in the magazine!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Ford owner here, doing a little trespassing. I like the suggestion of converting to bluetooth. GM really is behind the times with the onstar scheme. Bluetooth will get you closer to simplicity in your communication apparatus arsenal. Here's what I mean: EVERYBODY else has moved toward the cross-functioning of personal data-communications-enttertainment between automobile, home, computer, phone and storage devices.

In our BMW and the Ford truck, we can interface contacts, make phone calls, play music from iphones, jump drives, my 80Gig portable hard drive (with 8 days of non-stop music), ALL WIRELESSLY or through a USB port.. And with any already existing phone plan. Emergency services are handled through the 911 systems nationwide, Air bag deployment or fuel pump shut-off automatically calls 911.

One of the neatest things to me, is the capability to play iTunes or Pandora (free) Radio wirelessly from iphone to the truck's sound system. And all of this in a 2009 year model.

The one thing that i am still waiting for is for auto makers to provide some assistance in keeping maps updated. 200.00 is a chunk of change. i think the Navteq map has been updated twice since the one currently in my system.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have this unit. Since I have my cell phone with me all the time, there is no need for two services in my truck. I have the CK-3100 model.

Bluetooth / handsfree
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bluetooth only helps that an external device can talk to a system (like in your car). It's the system in your car that then completes the connection with whatever system is it "allowed" to communicate with. This is where problems lie when being changed from provider to provider.

In SNF's case the system (aka head unit) needed reprogramming in enable compatibility with the new allowed system. I have a Ford and find that my warranty does NOT cover reprogramming anything. While I agree that SNF should not have paid for the change in policy good luck getting reimbursed for this.

You'll need to identify who should have covered this, then recover the funds from them (it might still be GM, but I don't think they'd admit it quickly). Then contact them to try and get the refund. After trying and failing then you can get GS involved. GS won't start the recovery, they just assist with ongoing attempts.

$144? Ford charges me $100 for reprogramming their crap. I've done this twice, the first time for reprogramming for larger wheels and tires, then the second time to correct a cold start problem I was having. I accept it was my dime for the first time but they should have covered the second problem - they showed me the fine print in my bumper-to-bumper warranty where electronics reprogramming was NOT covered. If the electronics had failed, then it would have been covered. I was reluctant to take a hammer to it to make it fail... LOL.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Did I miss something here? Michael's origingal post was May of 2011! Thought I'd get the topic going again and see what happened! Michael you're alive and well again on this thread!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote