Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Brake Control Reads "SH" and "oc"

I know that one of you fellow Montana pullers can help me! While pulling the fiver, my Tekonsha Prodigy controller read "c" which it is suppose to do. (I am thinking that "c" means closed circuit) My braking was doing fine. Then, it felt as though I had brake fade...and then no trailer brakes. this would alternate between no brakes, full brakes (with high controller numbers), and intermmitent brakes (with low controller numbers). The controller would read "oc", "c" and "SH" throughout the pull. Now, I know that "SH" means "short" and the "oc" probably means "open curcuit".
While on the road, I checked under the truck for a bare blue wire, loose ground and plugged the trailer plug from my bed plug to my bumper plug. I checked the connections between the blue and white wires going to my individual trailer wheel brakes. (I did not go under the belly to check for connections) No change!
I am thinking about doing the following: 1- jump the blue and white wires in my truck plug to try and duplicate the problem; 2-run a continuity test between the blue terminal and white terminal of my trailer plug; 3-replace my controller; 4- "hot wire" a new blue line directly from my controller to the truck plug; 5-pray one of these solves the problem.
Can any of you guys with great solutions please offer me any other things that I could possibly do to solve this! I greatly appreciate you input! Thank you!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Had a similar problem 2 years back. Turned out to be a wire inside the brake drum on the trailer was rubbing. It had worn through the insulation and was showing intermittent short open and connected on the Prodigy.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Could you possibly have frayed wires in the axle?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
SH = Short, OC = Open, I've had this as well and found both of the previous issues...

Wires in the brake drums routed incorrectly rubbed through insulation generating intermittent short circuit

Wires in the axles had rubbed the insulation about mid axle over the years generating intermittent short circuit
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I had the exact same thing last year. I talked to a mobile tech while at a campground he told me the first thing to check is the wires were the splices are on the truck. He told me I would probably find a ball of wires wrapped in electrical tape with a bunch of cheap connectors. That's exactly what I found. So first fixed the blue wire (brakes). Tried it and the prodigy displayed only .c. Until I applied the brakes and I got my numbers. So I figured I'd do the rest of the wires.. What I used to redo the wires was, good butt connectors and then coated with liquid tape. We drove the rest of the way to Maine and from Maine to NH and then to Pa with no more issues.

Kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Great ideas, gentlemen Thank you...I think that I will START at these areas!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Art,
We had the same thing happen to us. It started out happening just every now and then. It only would act up when traveling. It could not be repeated in a standing position. We had everything checked that could be gotten to! NOTHING could be found. Finally found a guy who checked the brake wire that runs inside the axles. And as Dick indicated the wire had frayed. Thus when we were moving the wire would move and bare wire spot would touch the medal in the axle causing a loss of brakes and the readings on the controller.

Simple fix. Cut the wire and replace with non frayed wire. We did not run it back thru the axle we just taped it to the axle. Worked great. We never had any trouble with it again.

Good luck and let us know when you find and fix the problem. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
I'll be getting back to you when the rain stops falling in the northeast. it may be a while!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Well...I dis-assemblied each of the four Montana brakes to check for wire fraying or breaks. Nothing. I replaced the compression wrap-around connecters with crimp connected up in the underbelly. I did NOT replace the wire in the axles yet. I need to taake it on the road to truly checkit out. I just bought an electric plugin analyzer to check my truck circuits. I'll keep you informed.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I had trouble with my Prodigy last year. Was the controller. Lifetime warranty. Gave me a new one no hassle.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Art, I just finished pulling the wheels,and brake drums chasing the intermittent trailer fault. My right rear brake wire had been cut into within 2 inches from the magnet. On the left rear under the bottom clip that holds the wire on the brake actuator arm,the wire had just wore off enough insulation that it too has been sending a trailer fault. You could just barely feel the wire where it was nicked.

Dennis,is there a special wire type that goes thru the axle. ?? BIll
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bill,
I believe the original wire was simply a typical household cord that one might use to power a lamp! It was NOT the round type auto wire I expected to see. I was surprised when the tech took it out and showed it to me. It was, as I noted above, replaced with a typical auto electrical wire. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Thanks Dennis,
Art,good luck with you brake problem. It can be miserable trying to find it. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
If you find that you need to replace the wires inside the axle and decide to run the new one(s)on the outside, I suggest you place the wire(s) on the TOP of the axle and run it through a piece of wire loom. Less chance of snagging it on something. Good luck with your issue!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote