Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
dwad

M.O.C. #11714
hitch on back of 5th wheel

I have a 1999 2850 Montana 5th wheel. I want to pull my boat with it. Does anyone have suggestions as to installing a hitch?

dwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dwad,
You might want to try the SEARCH feature. It is not a very efficient or consistent process but it might work for you. Probably worth a try since this has been a much discussed item here on the MOC. Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
dwad, almost any good hitch shop can install a good hitch, a 2" receiver is a must. We are in Colorado and see 5th wheels pulling boats, pontoon boats, trailer hauling Motor cycles, and tandem axle utility trailer hauling as many as 4 atv's. It can be done and done safely. Make sure its a professional hitch shop... good luck... Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Professionally, Mor-Ryde in Elkhart Indiana will install a great 2" receiver to your rear for about $250. It's well constructed,and can tow a tank!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Not all states allow a double tow. So you may want to check it out. Here in NY it is illegal. Also, illegal in FL. It is allowed in some states, so I would check it out with your state and any other states you plan to travel in.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've put a hitch on my last 2 Montanas. Normally I've supported hitch installation on about every inquiry I've responded to ... but ...... I have owned a brand new 2000 2850RK. Unfortunately with the early Keystone Montanas, you don't have a "real IBeam" frame, but a 10" welded together IBeam substitute. If you take a look at the two beams running lengthwise under your fiver, you'll readily see they are fabricated from relatively thin sheet steel welded together to form a facimilie of an IBeam. Somewhere around 2004 Keystone went with a true forged IBeam frame. Unless the boat you speak of is a little 10' john boat with a 15 hp Johnson, I'd strongly recommend against any hitch installation. There's really nothing structurally there to attach a hitch to. IMHO take it or leave it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I've put a hitch on my last 2 Montanas. Normally I've supported hitch installation on about every inquiry I've responded to ... but ...... I have owned a brand new 2000 2850RK. Unfortunately with the early Keystone Montanas, you don't have a "real IBeam" frame, but a 10" welded together IBeam substitute. If you take a look at the two beams running lengthwise under your fiver, you'll readily see they are fabricated from relatively thin sheet steel welded together to form a facimilie of an IBeam. Somewhere around 2004 Keystone went with a true forged IBeam frame. Unless the boat you speak of is a little 10' john boat with a 15 hp Johnson, I'd strongly recommend against any hitch installation. There's really nothing structurally there to attach a hitch to. IMHO take it or leave it.
Agree, I would not do it.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
+1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Agree, I would not do it.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have done it on my last two trailers with no ill effects. I do over kill on the hitch construction. I not only build a hitch across the back but also extend the reciver back in 2 or 3 feet into trailer and add another cross brace to distrubute the weight and twisting.
For years I towed a 20' Bayliner behind my 5th wheel. Total lenght 73' And yes it was legal. They did changed the law about 4 or 5 years ago to 65' max.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote