Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
"MOC Forum" Wisdom Needed!

Ok, I’ve been contemplating on how to fix this problem. The problem is the sag in the floor that has developed. If you look at the first photo you can see part of the sag. It goes most of the way across the floor but is the worst where you can see it.

[img] http://www.southshorechurchofgod.org/10250801.gif [/img]

I’m not positive but I think it may be a result of the Splendide Combo unit vibrating so much when it’s being used and causing the sag in a weak area of the floor. I can feel the floor give whenever I walk on it as well. With the floor supported this is what it should look like.

My question is this; what is the best way IYO to brace this up. The frame underneath was slightly raised with the jack. Should I use bolts and drill holes through the aluminum frame all the way through or should I use some kind of framing support underneath?

Here is what it looks like from the other side. It also looks like someone possibly a (PO) has already tried to support this by placing two screws from the front side. BTW, these 2 screws were found in a worked loose position. They really don’t seem to be supporting very much. There is also enough room for the bolts to go completely through the frame and then be bolted from either side. I believe the wall board is made from a plywood type of boarding and it appears that it would be strong enough to support the weight of the floor. It sits on the frame at the bottom. I believe using the bolts would support it but I’m concerned about whether or not it would weaken the frame any or too much. I want it to feel solid as it does now with the jack in place.

[img] http://www.southshorechurchofgod.org/06240903.gif [/img]

Thanks and I’m looking forward to the vast wisdom on this forum for suggestions!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
First of all, the following is my opinion only, and is being provided without warranty or guarantee that it will work (there, that takes care of the lawyers!!). Rather than weaken the aluminum supports by drilling into them (even though structural engineers will state that there is no weakening by adding round holes in rigid beams), I believe you are on the right track with some sort of support system. It is obvious that the jack being positioned on the wall side alleviates the problem, so I believe you have visual evidence of what needs to be done. The other advantage is that you will also transfer whatever weight is causing the sag to the rig's frame itself through the basement flooring. You could install this framing with wood at the edge of the basement and use it for a backdrop for hangers, etc. for additional storage options in your basement....or another flat screen bracket so you can have TV outside at some point. I prefer the flat screen being added at the same time () and am sure your granddaughter will concur!!!! Keep us posted on your fix, I too am curious as to what other forumites offer up!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I can see 4 choices at the moment.

1. Build a frame just like you have using 1x2 or 2x2 wood or square aluminum tube or angle and fasten to the wall. Lowes, HD or a hardware store should have the tubing.
2. A piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit between the floor and the aluminum cross piece, fastened to the wall.
3. Bolt the 2x4 you show directly to the wall.
4. Dealer
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Thanks Bingo!
I got an idea, may have more photos later but keep the ideas coming anyway.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Ok, the idea I had was one in the same as what countryfolks posted. We must have been thinking the same thing at the same time based on posting times. Anyway, here is the conclusion to this fix. I simply left the 2X4 in place and bolted it directly to the wall board. I noticed some settlement after I removed the jack but the floor is less sagged and sturdy to walk on. I believe it will work out ok now, time will tell.

Sorry I didn't give more time for ideas but I was on a roll and wanted to get-r-done!

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
But Grandpa, that board is not big enough to hang a flat screen on!!!!!
Bingo
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL Bingo.... I think he went for the low cost solution. The flat screen might have at least doubled the cost of the fix.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
As an afterthought, what is that wallboard constructed of, if it is the same as the floor (particle board...I know that is not the right name), I don't think that in the long run it will provide the support you need. Keep an eye on it for bowing also. A couple more two by fours extending to the basement floor might be in order. Just thinking out loud here....but if you and Mama are happy, that is all that matters!!

Art,
That mischevious streak comes out occassionally. Hee Hee!!

bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I think Bingo's last post on the "shoring up" of the fix may be a good idea. That way any weight on the floor would be transfered to the main frame under the basement especially if you can get the bottom and one or two of the down braces on a beam. With the extra 2bys it would also make a good rack to put hangers on for the little extras you want to hang in the basement! Keep us informed!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Thanks for the ideas! I would guess it’s made of particle board, not sure but it’s hard like plywood. I’m not exactly certain how it rests on the frame either but obviously; it’s supporting the fix at this time. I will definitely watch the wall board in case it develops a problem later on.

Sorry, no TV for the basement, that is one of those smaller basements; unlike what I see in the newer ones. No room for toys like that underneath.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Bill,
Just a thought also would be a backer on the opposite side as the 2x4. This would help by sandwiching the particle board. Also if you were to over jack the floor then install the sandwich that would allow for the settling. I also liked the supports running down to the floor for extra support. Of course I always over build.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Since your problem may have been caused by vibration of the spendide you may wish to put a rubberr strip between the brace and the original joist to absorb some of the vibration and help deaden any noise that results. Like others have suggested a couple of cripples between the brace and a flat sill on the floor would spread the load and reduce the compression stress on the wall and the holes in the wall. Now if we were all alongside each other in a park we could all watch the repairs, give our sage advice and share a few beers.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Watching repairs and giving sage advice has been and will forever be reserved for those who are in supervisory positions over all of these projects.........more particularly known by us as the DW's, and others as the "BOSS".
Bingo