Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
What happened?

I got up this morning and had no hot water, no water flow that is. Had cold water flow. It did reach 17 degrees last night ( as I type this it is 15 degrees out - 1814 is the time.), however, the heat tape seemed to work fine. I have cold water at the bathroom sink, the shower and toilet. I have no hot water anywhere. Also no cold water at the kitchen sink. When I so not water I am talking water flow. My inlet hose is okay, I took it off and ran water through it to make sure. The hot water tank is working, I get water out the check valve and it seems to be working properly.

I tried to switch to the water pump and nothing. The pump would not even come on. Check the circuit breakers and fuses and all is okay.

I don't understand, any input is appreciated. It is supposed to hit, 10 tonight and 3 tomorrow night. Tough haul with no hot water.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Mike, is the hotwater tank bypass valve on? It should be off you do not want to bypass the tank, that will cause no hot water any where. if thats on, there must be an obstruction some where. Remember obstruction could be ice. With no cold water at the kitchen sink, it sure sounds like an obstruction, or a check valve. Could be a bad check valve or frozen one.
Are you getting heat in the basement? Especially near the convenience center? Not sure of the floor plan you have, but if the kitchen is on a slide, can you get to the water lines under the slide to make sure they are OK and not frozen.
These are only ideas and suggestions to think about and check.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Check your low drain points. See if water comes out of them. I am guessing they may have frozen up and blocked some of the water flow. Heat tape and insulation on them may help. Remember a hair dryer may help thaw out the lines.
Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
HOT WATER FREEZES FASTER THAN COLD ask OZZ or any plumber the reason but water once heated will freeze at about 34 degrees as cold water , never heated will freeze at about 28 degrees or less ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Not that this will work, but once, I had not flow to the kitchen sink. Discovered that if I turned the bathroom water on and left it running, then going to the kitchen sink and turning the water on, it flowed. Never did figure it out and it never happened again.

Just a thought.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Mike,
Seeing the year of your rig, I'm w/John Kohl. Low point drain pipes stick below the belly and will freeze, pushing an ice plug up blocking your line. Hair dryer applied will thaw and get hot water back. Worked for me!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we had the same problem a few years ago, it was the pipe going to the water heater that froze. That's when we discovered that we had to leave the furnace on at night (set at about 60 degrees) so that warm air could get into the belly of the beast. After that we have had no freezing problems.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Mike,

Sorry can't help with your particular problem, but would recommend that nights where you know that it going to be freezing, leaving the furnace on at a low temp works well to keep the basement warm enough to not freeze. We turn the furnace thermostat to 50* during those times.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I think the low point drains are the thing. I have done all the rest of the items mentioned. Spent one hour laying on the cold concrete slab under the trailer this afternoon heat taping the low point drains (that extend below the basement) in 17 degree weather with the wind and snow blowing. Turned out to be a chill fact of 1 degree. It sure was nice to go into a nice 55 degree trailer to warm up. I am at a stick home this week while I try to work this out. I will find out tomorrow it the heat tape did the trick. I will keep you posted. If there are any other things that I may need to check, don't hesitate to suggest them.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Been there. Done that, re. laying on the ground in the cold. Hope that solves your problem. You'll get no sympathy from the FL crowd, however.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I keep a small light burning in the convenience center.

On edit...the light is A/C so it puts out enough heat to keep anything from freezing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Edited, I mentioned the check valve, but you did check that.
Under the water heater in mine there are pipes that go under the floor, could be froze there.
Good luck with this.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote