Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
oops awning tube

Well this is a first for me. I was pulling out of my driveway. The rear of the monty swung wider than I thought and the top rear of the awning tube met a tree. Thankfully its just the tube and not the support brackets or anthing else.

Only for the last 4 inches, and didn't do any other damage (well a little bark mark on the underside of the awning material, but it washed off). But it did push in what was a round tube.

The last 4 inches is pushed in maybe 1/2inch. It dosen't affect the operation of the awning. The brackets are secure. But the groove where the awning patio lights go into is pushed in. So I can't get the little plastic inserts into the tube. (I know I can still get the little clips that hang from the scalloped edge)

Open the awning up. Remove the lower supports from the brackets (like I was going to stake the awning legs). Set the awning tube on sawhorses when extended and locked in the out position.

This is not the end with the locking mechanism. So there should not be any spring tension involved once its out and in the locked (down) position.

I've thought about drilling out the rivets on that end and prying it out. Prybar and a dollie or piece of pipe.

I've also thought about using a dent puller and rewelding the holes.
Or using liquid aluminum to repair the holes from the dent puller.
So I don't have to drill out the rivets.

Any other suggestions for a repair?

Old 01-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Interesting repair dilemma. Since only the last 4 inches of the rear end of the tube are damaged, it’s probably not critical to get the channel usable for the lights slide tabs.

I would look more at the cosmetics of the repair and think I would drill and pull out the damaged area with a puller or screws inserted into the damaged area. I would then switch to a a pry-bar or screw driver to reopen the slot. Hopefully you can then repair the holes and get it all looking good again.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If all else fails I'd think you could use a drill bit larger than the channel to open a new access to the rest of that slot, a point to start your lights into the slot. You might not be able to use that last four inches, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
A pipe expander would work possibly like they use on exhaust pipes.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote