Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Monty demo almost complete

We had the tree removed from the Monty last week and I was able to start the demolition process. It was very difficult emotionally to start cutting apart something I was so proud of. I found the fireplace that I installed and it was about 4" high, the tree hit directly on top of it.

Notice in the first picture, on the right side of the photo over the bedroom is something black through the floor, that is the landing gear leg. Very thankful that we were not in the bed, that would probably have hurt a little. The second photo is aluminum from the roof and walls to be recycled.

We are still waiting to settle with the insurance company, hope to find out soon what their offer will be.

nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Don,
You have provided some very clear pix of the destruction and now the cleanup of your Monty. I wish you will and success in the replacement effort. I noticed that the wood cut displays a large segment of trunk. It's heartening to know no one was injured. Best of luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The pictures are entrancing, the price of the pictures is disheartening. Hope the insurance comes through for you. In an attempt to add levity to a difficult situation, if the tires are Missions, wonder if they can be recycled?? On the serious side, one thing that I have learned from your situation is that I am truly thankful that we elected to have full replacement insurance coverage for our rig. New buyers or renewers may want to strongly consider this based upon your experiences, it is better than wondering how the insurance company will treat you, keep us informed please. Keep strong through the battles!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don and Joy,
Very disheartening indeed. I can only imagine what it is like to go through an ordeal like that. I hope none of us ever have to see another episode of destruction. I'm glad you made the tree suffer a little.

I also have full replacement coverage and don't think I'll ever go without it. A little expensive, but worth that "just-in-case," insurance cost.

When do you get a new one?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don and Joy,

It is so sad to see the remains of what once was a proud possession. We are so glad you decided not to go out and stay in the trailer while your power was out. You have done a great job of getting the destruction cleaned up.

We, too, hope the insurance company comes through for you.

The pictures were great!

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Gosh, that's so sad. I would be crying as it was being taken apart I'm sure. Again, so glad that you were not out there! Everything happens for a reason. Not sure what this one was yet, but when one door closes, another one opens. Take care.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Very interesting photos, thanks for sharing, We are all keeping you in our good thoughts, sending positive vibes to that insurance company!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
vaf2314
Established Member

M.O.C. #7413
I hope the insurance company will replace the rig for you with no trouble. thankfully nobody was hurt. Good luck.
vaf2314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don & Joy,

I can imagine the emotion that we would have, as this 3400 is our home.

I have a question... Isn't this taking a little long for the insurance company to step up to the plate and get you your settlement money??? I sure hope they are not going to jerk you around...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Dave, Yes I think it is taking too long. I use to do contract insurance restoration work and had time guidelines to follow. So far the insurance has not done anything. I limbed and clean up the pine tree, arranged for a logger to remove the tree, removed part of the awning and will remove the rest when the Monty is out of the way, and have done the demo on the Monty. Auto insurance wanted to have the Monty crushed and hauled away. We didn't like that idea because we have enough of a mess now. I summited estimated for all the above and have not heard much. The difficult part is we have auto insurance with one company, and homeowners with another. I wouldn't recommend anybody doing it that way. Each company wants the other cover things.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
All i can say is Wow, Glad you or anyone was hurt, that was one big tree.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hate to say this, but you may have to start doing some research to find contacts for those two companies' oversight agencies. Sounds like their main goal is to see how much they can get out of paying on this claim - instead of them trying to rush to prove their customer satisfaction advertising...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Wow you have been a busy man. I know its hard to see the Monty in that shape but you are moving forward like a trooper. Keep up the good work. I am also glad to see your recycling what you can. Now go kick those insurance people in the butt. If they give you too much hastle call the state insurance commissioners office. One call from that office and the companies will be johnny on the spot.
Keep us posted!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Praise God no one was in Monty at the time.

Looks like you have done a very good job on clean-up.

I pray all works well for you with the insurance, keep us informed.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
So sad to see the damage to your Montana. At the same time, we're glad nobody was injured.

I hope the insurance company doesn't jack you around on this. When you decide they've waited long enough, may I suggest talking with your state insurance commissioner's office. I had to do that once on behalf of our daughter. The commissioner's staff got on the phone to the insurance company while I was sitting there and we had a check in three days. Hopefully it won't come to this for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I hope the insurance company is paying YOU for the clean-up?
Old 01-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I hope so too. I have summited estimates, but haven't had a reply. Insurance companies have been very busy in CA from storm damage and before that from fires.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don,
Take pictures of your progress (before and after) as evidence of your work. Keep a log for the number of hours you have worked and all expenses incurred. TELL your adjuster that you are not looking to make any money on the clean-up, but want compensation for actual monies spent and labor. I believe one of two things should happen: 1) they will give you a value dollar for the clean-up and pay that amount; 2) They will agree with your submission of costs and pay you that full value.

Different situation, but I had a chimney fire 20+ years ago and they estimated what a clean-up would cost and I told them I would do the work. They paid me that estimate value.

Give them a call every 3 to 4 days and ask, "Could you tell me what the status is on my claim?" Remember the honey/vinegar with bees and which attracs more.

Good luck.