Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Kilgore, Texas Area

Well, we may be relocating for work to Texas for a few years. Anyone familiar with the Kilgore/Tyler area. Intersted in renting and having our boat and camper down there. Any info on the area and camping, bicycling, fishing and bird hunting would be greatly appreciated.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ron, we live 20 miles north of Longview, which would be 29 miles north of Kilgore, so we know the area well. I was born here and grew up here, and now am retired here.

As for fishing, we live just a few miles form Lake 'o The Pines which is one good place to fish, but there are lakes all over East Texas: Sam Rayburn, Lake Palestine, Tawokani, Toledo Bend, etc.

There are many good RV parks in the area [though we do not use them for the obvious reason that we live here.] But I presume that you would want a more permanent and less expensive arrangement than some of them might have. Reading your post more carefully, you seem to be wanting to rent a house and have your boat and camper available. I don't know exactly where your work would be, but that might determine whether you would rent in Longview, Kilgore, or Tyler. [or other communities such as Henderson or Hallsville for example.]

I know there are storage facilities in the Longview area which can accomodate both RVs and boats.

If I may be of futher help, send me a private message or email through this forum.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Our place is near Henderson, 20 miles or so from Kilgore. Lots of good fishing; not sure about the bird hunting though. Seems quail have been scarce the last several years. Might check the Longview, Tyler, and Henderson paper for rental property. I know the Henderson paper is the Henderson Daily News.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ron-- Are you sure you want to bicycle down there after what happened at the Fall Rally?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
New, faster bike Rondo - I'll bounce. Thanks Padredw and Slickwillie. This came up real sudden. I would work in Kilgore and could live anywhere that I could drive in 30-40 minutes. We hope to start our retirement home in Colorado, so I don't want to own two houses. We could rent an apartment and keep the boat and RV stored nearby or rent a house. Either way would work. We're heading down Monday to look around. The Lab puppy is excited about moving back to Texas as long as he can find birds.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ron, wish we could be here to welcome and possibly assist you, but we are leaving tomorrow for an RV trip down to the Hill Country. We will be back on Saturday, April 16. Looks like Longview, Kilgore, or Henderson would work for you. I'm afraid Willie is right about the Quail. When I was a boy we had lots of quail and no deer. Now the situation is reversed.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote