Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Montana Tire Ratings

I have noticed that a lot of 5th wheel manufacturers (Forest River, Fleetwood, K-Z, etc) have gone to "G" rated tires for their trailors. Keystone (Montana) appears to still be using "E" rated tires. Has anyone heard of any plans by Keystone to upgrade to the "G" tires?

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can't answer your question. I would say that all "G"-rated tires are not equal. I have had tread separation, resulting in blowouts from OEM "E"-rated tires and the same from Chinese manufactured "G"-rated tires.

In the case of all four blowouts, the tires were checked for obvious tread issues and air pressure before embarking. All occurred at highway speeds of between 55 and 65 mph.

My conclusion is that while it is important to have a properly rated tire, the quality of the tire, whatever the rating, is of primary importance. How important? Two of the blowouts did damage to the rig in excess of $2500 each. One was from an "E"=rated the other was from a "g"-rated tire.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Stiles that is scary. Four blowouts leaves one to wonder what trailer tire should one use. I went to several tire shops in my area this week looking for replacement tires for in the future. The dealers said all they could get were Chinese made.
The Peerless Tyre had two different trailer tires. One was a commercial grade with stronger side walls and I believe G rated. It looked like it may be a tire to consider. I don't remember if it was Chinese made or not.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am no tire expert, just flying by the seat of my pants. Here's what I did. I decided on "G"-rated tires. At this time, I believe the Goodyear G614 is the best available. But they will not be cheap. I got my 4 for $1200, mounted, balanced, steel stems, and taxes. When you look at them, you will see a distinct difference in their heftiness. I would like to find good tires cheaper, but, in my mind, these are a quantum improvement over everything else I have had.

As a traveling full timer, based on my past experiences, tire safety is of paramount importance. Have I made the right choice? Time will tell.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote