Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Bedroom Slide Weather Seal

Has anyone ever had the top weather seal of the bedroom slide come off?
I was putting out the slides yesterday, and before I knew it the the top seal had went out with the slide. It was frozen to the slide when it was closed.
Is this hard to put back in place or does it have to be done at the dealer? Does it just snap back into place or is it fastened or glued??
Thanks
Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I assume you are talking about the black rubber seal that attachés to the trailer sidewall? They do come loose once in awhile. The seal slips over a lip and is easy to reinstall. I added some contact cement to the lip at the ends of mine when it came off once. Other than an ice problem you should try to keep the seal clean and wipe it down with silicone a couple times per year. Keep the roof of the slide clean to reduce the friction. Haven't heard of any tricks to eliminate the ice problem when you open the slides. Other than take the trailer to a warmer climate, which has been suggested by others here. Not always an option however.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:22 AM   #3
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
drhowell,
I would love to take it to a warmer climate. Maybe I should suggest this FIX to the wife.
Yes it is the long black seal.
I will have to try the glue on it.
I have never had any problems with the seal until it froze to the slide. If I had watched a little closer I may have noticed it was froze before it had gotten pulled off. Oh well, Live and Learn.
Merv
Old 11-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Merv,
Do you have awnings over your slides? It seems like the awning would keep water out of this seal and thus would not freeze. This may be another good reason to have slide awnings.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:53 AM   #5
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Lamar,
Unfortunatly I dont have the slide awnings. They would be nice though. How do they hold up to lots of leaves and pine needles? We do a lot of state forest camping in the fall and get a lot of leaves and things on the slides. I have had to go up and sweep the roof of the slides before closing them a few times.
Would the slide awnings cause trouble if they froze??
Thanks
Merv