Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Landing gear,Help!

Our landing legs are off by about three inches from one side to the other.Well, we finished our season this weekend and I thought I would take a look at them,removed the bar between the two sides and manually brought the on side up even with the other;this is when I knew I had a bigger problem then first thought. The leg on the slide side, the one with the motor and gearbox extends fine ,but only returns part way and then makes a terrible grinding noise,cannot get it out to figure out the problem,has anyone had this problem before and what can be done besides replacing the leg,to fix this, Did get the unit set for winter and winterized, but we are worried this leg will either collapse and put us in a situation where we cannot get into a sit because it will only retract in with about eight inches of leg exposed.Is this part built by lippert and have a two year warranty, as our unit will be two years ols in two weeks.

sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
We had similar thing happen to us -- had to replace the whole jack assembly. We were on the road so we called Customer Service at Keystone and they referred us to a dealer & arrangements were made to have the part sent out and the Dealer installed it for us. All has been well ever since.
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi mine did the exact same thing. It was bent. Had to replace the part with the holes in it. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Talked to George at Lippert this morning and he is shipping out a new jack and leg assembly for the bad side.Dealer will not install it so he talked me through how to do it.Sounds pretty simple as long as you keep the fiver hitched up.Lippert's warranty for the landing assembly is for two years,I will have to ship back the defective parts but Lippert is sending a return tag and paying for it.First time I have had a chance to deal with this company and they were awesome with their assistance.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
The electric motor that drives the landing gear on my 2005 2955 seems to be loose. There is a lot of play in it but I can't see anywhere to tighten it - is this normal and OK?
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:17 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by markwick

The electric motor that drives the landing gear on my 2005 2955 seems to be loose. There is a lot of play in it but I can't see anywhere to tighten it - is this normal and OK?
I believe that's normal. It takes the stress out of the motor. On mine, the motor was mounted rigid to the legs and shaft. When Keystone replaced one of my legs (one connected directly to the motor), they used the new installation which uses a "clutch" mechanism. It seems to float on the motor and takes the stress out of the motor.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
sgf,

You haven't heard of us before? You ain't seen nuthin' yet!!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
MIMF2,Are you the one who works at Lippert,if so, send George a big thank you from me, the part arrived today via ups and that is my saturday project.I feel I need to get it done asap so I can get the defective part back to you guys as you all were just great.Just one quick phone call and the part was on its way.Super customer support!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #9
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
sgf,

Yes I am and George is aware of your gratitude! Thank you very much!

Don't bust your hinie try to get the defective parts back. You have 30 days. Do it at a more convenient time.

This is the way this Company wants customer support done and that makes George's and my job way too simple and that is why we all enjoy our jobs.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:58 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thought I might add a little to the leg discussion. When I purchased my used Montana the leg extensions were very hard to move in the fixed tube. My first thought was they were bent. Upon further investigation, I discovered some slight wear in the pin holes which made them egg shaped. The displaced metal had formed a burr on the outside of the extension leg at the holes in several places. I took a file to the burrs on the extensions and with them removed did the same inside the fixed part of the legs. Amazing, they slip up and down with very little effort now.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:10 AM   #11
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
The new leg assembly is installed and works great,the extensions were not the problem,the part that moves would only return a little bit ,you can see metal shaving s come out when you returned it,easy repair to do as long as you keep the weight on your trailer,the compartment is a little tight but after you remove that strap that holds the propane tank it is a lot easier,only 2 carriage bolts,a bar extension bolt ,spacer with screw is all you have to remove,the leg has guides where you have to install it.Just make sure you sand the old shaft to remove the burrs so it will slide out of the gearbox,then painted the moving part so I do not over return the leg.Took longer to hitch up and un hitch then the actually work, total time ,maybe 1 hour.Spent more time trying to find some bubble wrap to put on the ends of the defective part,but;allis well and again special thanks to Lippert and George and MIMF2,great company to deal with.