Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Heat Pumps Question

Can a heat pump be added to a AC unit? I am considering the addition of a heat pump for one or both of my Duo Therm AC's can this be done if they were not ordered with them or came with them?

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bob,

Congrats on the new Big Sky! I guess you were able to reach an amicable agreement with the dealer and Keystone. Anyway, to answer your question I don't believe there is anything you can add to an AC unit to change it into a heat pump. A heat pump is designed specifically to perform its function. Some AC units can have a heatstrip added to them to provide heat. You may want to look into that option. The heatpumps I am familiar with on a RV are usually located in the basement. But you've got me curious, so I guess I'll have to look around and see if there are any direct replacements for roof mounted AC units.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
It can be done, changing an a/c unit into a heat pump, at great expense to the owner. Suggest you purchase factory made heat pump. I recon my question is why a heat pump? Not being critical, just curious.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
According to the Dometic web site they provide an optional heat strip. The air conditioner in our 3400RL bedroom has a position on the switch that says "Heat," but it is inactive. See below quote.

From Dometic:
"Optional Heat Strip

* Provides 5,600 BTU of heat?without any alterations to ducts or distribution box
* Heat strip is pre-wired in most Penguin models for quick and easy installation."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I've seen that before and wondered why they refer to "Penguin" models when the page is supposed to be about the "Brisk Air". Has anyone actually put a heat strip in the stock A/C?
There does seem to be a connection for it in the A/C and the Comfort Control Center thermostat does have a setting position to control one. I belive you have to set one of the dip switches to activate that setting.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are replacement heat pumps available. Here is an example:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...itioner-parts-
1.htm#Air%20Conditioners%20-%20Duo%20Therm%20Heat%20Pump
-%20Hp
Don't know if that is what you are looking for or not but the technology is out there.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
You can change out to a heat pump but I don't know how you would convert an a/c into one. Two completely different animals. We put a heat strip in our bedroom unit. There's an extra plug right inside the screen(filter) and it's easy to install. It's not enough to really heat up the room on cold days but it will take the chill off on chilly mornings. Nice for a shower on a cool day but really not for anyrhing more. You cannot install one on your main ducted unit. It wouldn't provide enough heat to notice anyway. I think I paid around $95 for it and the I watched the dealer install it in the parking lot for no charge in about 3 minutes.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Look's like that Duo-Therm link has them on sale for $49 plus shipping. It's worth that for the bedroom unit.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I added a heat strip to my previous TT. No problem at all. It's not good for much other than to "take the chill off" in the mornings. Tou're not gioing to heat the RV with it.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As part of the second ac install, I insisted on the heat strip addition as well. Reasoning was no matter how much or how little heat it actually puts out, in most circumstances, it is still cheaper than propane.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote