Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Old Dog needs to learn a new trick

Having spent the vast majority of my life in Southeast Texas, I find myself at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to dealing with subfreezing weather. For instance, (if you, from the Northern climes can believe it) I have never seem heat(er) tape. I don't know what it looks like, how it is installed, how much is needed, etc. I have been to Home Depot, Lowes, and WalMart to ask about it and all I get is blank stares. I guess there isn't much call for it in Houston.

I need to know:
  • Where to buy it
  • How to install it
  • Do I need additional insulation
  • What else do I need to know

In my many years here, all we did is put foam insulation tubes around the pipes and hit it with a hair dryer if it got colder than expected. Please help me cure my ignorance.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:04 AM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Stiles, go back to Home Depot and the Customer Service desk. Have them use the catalogue in the computer to find the heat tape (actually a wrap) and the instructions for its use. You can also search thier site on-line. If they are unable /unwilling to help, check at a Mobile home supply store (inquire at a MHP). I have not personally used the stuff but my brother is using it on his Flagstaff up here in Missouri. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stiles,
Any hardware store also carries heat tape. That's all you have to ask for. Tell them you want heat tape that you put on pipes to prevent freezing. I have a heat tape with a thermo gizmo on it that only comes on when the temps approach freezing. I also cover the whole hose with some of that pipe insulation. This helps hold the heat in. It comes with instructions for use.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Stiles it looks like a flat extension cord with a plug on the end! We use them on all of the pipes that are above the ground for watering the animals and also in the pits of the wells when it gets really cold. Wew just wrap the pipe and plug it in. You can put other insulation around them but it is not necessary. They come in various lengths and as noted previously, can come with a thermostat on them to come on when the air hits specific temps! Many people use them across the northern states especially on their mobile homes since the water pipes are exposed to air between the ground and the trailer and while the pipes run from one area to another under the trailers. If you have any other questions just PM me! Rondo
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
W W Grainger should be able to supply your needs. It does come in varied lengths.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, as a last resort you can do one of two things - build a bonfire under the pipe, OR, get an extension cord and cut the end of the far end from the plug. Twist the two wires toge.........no never mind, DO NOT DO EITHER OF THE ABOVE.

Try ACE Hardware. I have found that what Lowe's or Home Depot does not carry, ACE usually does. When I was stations in NC, I used it on the outside pipes going under the kitchen (air space) and it worked fine in the 25-30° temperatures. There were instructions with the tape but I do not remember if you could or could not use insulation on top of it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Whatever else you do with the tape when you get it, DO NOT overlap the tape on itself. It only took one inadvertent 90 degree crossover to cost my parents their vacation home. it worked fine for a couple years but eventually over heated and cooked the house... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware. Tractor Supply also has it but only inseason.

That you buy at the hardware stores will say not intended for anything other than rigid pipe. That's the tape most of us use. An rv park in Golden, CO, makes the hoses up with heat tape applied and this is what they told me. Run that tape parallel to the water hose, taping it in place every couple of feet. If the tape is longer than the hose, double it back on the other side. Make sure the tape's thermostat is outside where it will not be covered up. Next, cover the hose with foam tubing intended for water pipes. Available at hardware stores and even many Walmarts. Tape (I use duct tape) this foam sufficiently so that the seams do not part and allow access of cold air to the hose. On one of mine I even taped the entire hose but that's not necessary. You can just tape it every foot or so, just so it is tightly sealed.

Tractor Supply has heat tapes that can be wrapped around a pipe or hose. That will work, also, but a longer heat tape would be required. I use this type for heat taping the park's pipe (the above ground park) and spigot.

Once the taped hose is connected to the spigot and the Montana, I wrap roll insulation around the end points and tape them in place. Likewise on the park's spigot. That part not heat taped I wrap with insulation and duct tape it. If you have the inside convenience center, I do not insulate it there. There is plenty of heat from the furnace in there. I do, however, plug the bottom hole with rags. I do that to help keep critters out, anyhow, but also the cold.

We've been down to five below zero (F) without freezing a hose or park's pipe.

It's kinda hard to tell from this picture but the cable is flat.

In our current connection you can see how the heat taped hose looks. In this park, the park's water connection is inside that box and is covered with insulation. That's sufficient for the temperatures we get here. The roll insulation where the hose goes into the box is covering the connection to the hose that's inside the box and also blocking cold air from easily going through that opening. 22F last night and we had external running water all night. The extra hose laying there with the black tape on the end is connected to the black tank flush.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Stiles, Google "heat trace" and you will get an idea what it is. I'm sure WW Grainger has the tape, but unless things have changed, if you don't have an account with them they won't sell to you.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks, but still can't find the stuff in Houston. Tried Ace Hardware too. I will look for a Tractor Store.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Thanks, but still can't find the stuff in Houston. Tried Ace Hardware too. I will look for a Tractor Store.
My first thought was, don't need it in Houston, but from the NOAA site;
COLDEST DECEMBER TEMPERATURES EVER RECORDED ACROSS THE AREA. ON DECEMBER 23 1989...COLLEGE STATION HAD A LOW OF 2 DEGREES...HOUSTON HAD A LOW OF 7 DEGREES AND GALVESTON HAD A LOW TEMPERATURE OF 14 DEGREES A good cold snap might catch them with their britches down. I'm sure surprised Lowe's and Home Depot does not carry it.

Stiles, Lowe's website shows they have the wire in Houston. Check on their site, and search for "Easy Heat". They show like 5 different items. Hope this helps. Also hope you don't need that stuff in Houston, as our RV is not too far south of there. HA!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Once you find it use electrical tape to bind it to the hose/pipe as electrical tape is designed to expand and contract. Some people also put the round pipe insulation around it afterwords using electrical ties to close. Just make sure the thermostat end of the heat tape is exposed.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
My house is farther south than where you are Stiles and I use heat tape on my water well, everything else is covered with pipe wrap. The pressure switch will freeze before anything else. I bought a 6' section and installed it several years ago. I wrapped it with insulation and do not remove in the summer. Just have to hook up an extension cord when colder weather comes along. Yes, it does get cold enough here is South Texas to have an occasional freeze but nothing like the folks from the North Land and we did have 12" snow on Christmas 2004. I found mine at a local hardware store.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In 1983 my College (UofH) son walked on Galveston Bay. It froze over.

Try Amazon

Heat Tape
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, here's what I found. "Easy Heat" #AHB-124. Only thing is I called 5 Lowe's stores in Houston area and none carry the product. Amazon.com has it for $9.00 less, but charges $7.50 for shipping.

Foremost Insurance has an article on installing heat tape which confirms what all you have said, i.e., not crossing it over itself, etc. It comes on at 38 degrees and shuts off at 45 degrees. 24' of the stuff ought to be just right for a 25' hose. EBAY wants $23 + S&H which is probably the best price I found.

Around 1950, it got down to 10 degrees and stayed there for 5 days in Freeport were I grew up. I don't remember the exact year, but do remember the cold. About 100 miles north of Houston is where I would be protecting the water supply.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #16
DandD

M.O.C. #7990
Stiles, there is a Tractor Supply in Alvin!
DandD is offline   Reply With Quote