Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Winterizing washer

I have always winterized with the pink stuff but I want to try and do it with a compressor this time. How does one go about winterizing the washer with compressed air? I used to just disconnect then remove the hot and cold water hoses and drain them. Now that I have a dryer on top of the washer, I can't access the hoses unless I take down the dryer which would be a two person job. I'm just trying to reduce the hassle factor of removing the dryer.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I know several people that have had issues with blowing the lines out. If you do not get all the water out it will freeze and brake something. Keep it simple. Put 3-4 gallons of rv antifreeze in the fresh tank and pump it through all fixtures with the pump any are good to go. It may cost you $15 a year. If you cant afford that you should not own it.

I have been doing this for many years and have never had a problem. Don't listen to the people that say you will never get the antifreeze out. Flush it out with several tanks of h2o and Blech in the spring and your good to go. Most of us don't drink the water anyway.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have a Splendide and don't use the pink stuff water left in the pump won't be blown out and will freeze and break the pump housing. You can guess how I know.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you have a Splendide and don't use the pink stuff water left in the pump won't be blown out and will freeze and break the pump housing. You can guess how I know.
That's kinda what I figured too Dick. I'm going to take the time and remove the dryer and do it the way I have always done with the pink. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I agree: no matter what you just have to get some antifreeze pumped through the washer pump otherwise there is a very good chance you will have a problem.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If you have very reliable power, the easiest thing to do is put two trouble lights in the tub with 60 watt bulbs. One is all that's necessary, the second is a back up...been doing this for 10 years.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
That's what i like about this forum. There is always more than one way to do something. I use to put a 100 watt bulb in the pump house next to the pump and motor and never had a problem. I live close to Houston so we usually don't have over 4 or 5 days a year below freezing so it doesn't take a whole lot to prep the rv. I drain the system and blow it out and mine is stored in a completely inclosed building. If i lived around Dallas or further north then i would certainly use the antifreeze. I don't see why you couldn't run the antifreeze thru the washer as well and then run 2 or 3 wash cycles thru it to flush it out in the spring. I've had my washer and dryer out a couple of times recently and you can do it by yourself if it is downstairs but up in the closet might be a different thing.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote