Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #41
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBear View Post
Thanks a ton for the information. On the 2020 units what options were you having quoted? Did you get dual pane windows, generator prep / generator, solar, etc.?
Quote:
Thanks a ton for the information. On the 2020 units what options were you having quoted? Did you get dual pane windows, generator prep / generator, solar, etc.?
The 2020 were base units for that price same with the new 2019's. The 2019 we purchased with full body paint and Legacy package was loaded everything but wash/dryer, it had gen prep (included in legacy pkg) there was no Gen however the factory 5500KW gen set will suck the fuel a smaller portable will do us fine... I will just be installing a portable in the pre-prepped compartment. We just sold our Class A I think I used the gen 4 hours in 2 years. Plus the portable keeps the pin weight down which matters as I have a 50 gallon Diesel Tank in the TV bed adding weight as it is.

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #42
GreenBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #25111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
My advice is don't buy from a dealer just because they have smiling sales reps!!!! DO NOT BUY FROM A DEALER JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE RECOMMENDS THEM BECAUSE THEY "treated them nice". This is a BUSINESS DEAL not a "nice convention". Absolutely positively do not walk into your local dealership and not check prices anywhere else!!!!!!!!

I strongly recommend that you turn the purchase into a commodity bid with at the very minimum 3 dealers. In order to get the best price (saving 10s of thousands) you MUST pit the dealers against each other on four key issues in order:
1. Best cash price out the door (everything included).
2. Best price for your trade in if you have one.
3. Best financing (if you go thru the dealer for that).
4. Do not allow them to add any "special" warranties or services to jack the price back up.

At any point that you don't think your getting the best deal you have to be willing to get up and walk out. PERIOD. You have the money and that gives you the power. Up to the point you sign the bottom line that is. After that the dealer has all the power. DO NOT sign the bottom line until your absolutely sure you have the very best deal and you have inspected the merchandise and all the obvious repairs have been completed. Once you drive off the lot you no longer have any real leverage over the dealer and your at their mercy for any warranty repairs. And I would not use the sales dealer for warrant work anyway.

I know you say that you don't have patience but to get the best price you MUST take the time to work the process. IF you don't your going to pay way more than you should have.

I also highly advise you to buy from a sales dealership but have all your repair work completed by a REPAIR ONLY business. With very few exceptions sales dealerships only have service to get the rigs out the door. By contrast, REPAIR ONLY shops have a business model that dictates that they do work professionally and fast.

Despite what folks on here say about Camping World we found that we got the best price from them and bought our rig there. It only stands to reason since CW is the highest volume dealer in the world. HOWEVER, I would NOT use Camping World for any service work!

Commodity bid=best price and major savings!!
Thanks for the advice - Appreciate the info about Camping World. I am definitely planning to get at least 3 competitive bids and "work them". I may have misquoted when I said I didn't have patience - I definitely do when it comes to taking the time to get the best deal - just not for dealing with typical sales tactics. We are not in any hurry or rush and will use the best approach to get the best deal (i.e., take our time, get competitive bids, only get price trade once I get price on rv, etc.).
GreenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #43
GreenBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #25111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
The 2020 were base units for that price same with the new 2019's. The 2019 we purchased with full body paint and Legacy package was loaded everything but wash/dryer, it had gen prep (included in legacy pkg) there was no Gen however the factory 5500KW gen set will suck the fuel a smaller portable will do us fine... I will just be installing a portable in the pre-prepped compartment. We just sold our Class A I think I used the gen 4 hours in 2 years. Plus the portable keeps the pin weight down which matters as I have a 50 gallon Diesel Tank in the TV bed adding weight as it is.
Good info on the generator. We already own a Yamaha 3000 series generator that works pretty well in our travel trailer, but it's not quite powerful enough to run the entire unit (i.e., 2 ACs, Microwave, Coffee Pot, etc.). I suppose I could continue using the 3000 and add a second one in tandem. We use our current generator at our hunting lease with an older RV and this would give me even more flexibility (i.e., 2 units, etc.). I do like the idea of having a generator (along with solar) for boon docking which my wife and I plan on doing some. I was definitely concerned about the LP generator vs. gas.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #44
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Thanks for the advice - Appreciate the info about Camping World. I am definitely planning to get at least 3 competitive bids and "work them". I may have misquoted when I said I didn't have patience - I definitely do when it comes to taking the time to get the best deal - just not for dealing with typical sales tactics. We are not in any hurry or rush and will use the best approach to get the best deal (i.e., take our time, get competitive bids, only get price trade once I get price on rv, etc.).
Do not limit yourself to any region look nationally, we purchased 3 RV's in the last 2 years 2 Class A's (sold both) and last week our Monty 3791. We are in Seattle the 1st was in San Diego we flew down and drove home, the 2nd was in Atlanta had it delivered and the Monty was near Sacramento. Many Dealers will pay your travel cost and you can also negotiate delivery (figure about $1.30 per mile).
Old 10-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #45
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Good info on the generator. We already own a Yamaha 3000 series generator that works pretty well in our travel trailer, but it's not quite powerful enough to run the entire unit (i.e., 2 ACs, Microwave, Coffee Pot, etc.). I suppose I could continue using the 3000 and add a second one in tandem. We use our current generator at our hunting lease with an older RV and this would give me even more flexibility (i.e., 2 units, etc.). I do like the idea of having a generator (along with solar) for boon docking which my wife and I plan on doing some. I was definitely concerned about the LP generator vs. gas.
The Gen Prep provides for a sealed compartment up front that you can mount a portable in and exhaust through the bottom, I am going to do the dual fuel that way I have options and the gen prep is right next to the propane tanks. The Transfer switch and the connection for the gen is just the other side of the bulkhead in the pass through compartment ceiling. I plan to wire in a 50 or 30 amp recepticle in the gen compartment side wall so it will be a plug and play and easily removed. You can by quick disconnect exhaust extension also so you can take out or put in the gen in about 5 minutes, this way it remains portable
Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 PM   #46
GreenBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #25111
Quote:
Do not limit yourself to any region look nationally, we purchased 3 RV's in the last 2 years 2 Class A's (sold both) and last week our Monty 3791. We are in Seattle the 1st was in San Diego we flew down and drove home, the 2nd was in Atlanta had it delivered and the Monty was near Sacramento. Many Dealers will pay your travel cost and you can also negotiate delivery (figure about $1.30 per mile).
We had heard the dealers near Indiana were often the lowest price and easiest to deal with so we are getting quotes from a few in that region. We just got the first few quotes back and they were all around the same price. I had them quote everything (generator, washer-dryer, solar, dual pane windows, etc.) - I need to do the math, but I think without these options the quotes would all have been mid to low $70s. I was thinking they would probably negotiate another $5k or so which would put the price near that $69K mark you mentioned earlier.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #47
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I also learned when shopping nationally that there is a HUGE variable in what dealers pay for the RV's high volume dealers get big wholesale cost reductions, this is where you will get the best prices. Invoice on a Base 3701RD seems to be $55K-$61K depending on dealer volume.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #48
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Here is the one we purchased they were asking $65 I offered $58 and they took it

http://www.demartinirv.com/vehicles/detail/3128
Old 10-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #49
GreenBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #25111
Quote:
I also learned when shopping nationally that there is a HUGE variable in what dealers pay for the RV's high volume dealers get big wholesale cost reductions, this is where you will get the best prices. Invoice on a Base 3701RD seems to be $55K-$61K depending on dealer volume.
Assuming you mean 3791RD versus 3701? This suggests even at around $69K they still have a ton of room. Regarding the high dealer volume / discounts, that affirms what mtlakejim mentions about camping world offering him the best price, etc.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:03 PM   #50
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Assuming you mean 3791RD versus 3701? This suggests even at around $69K they still have a ton of room. Regarding the high dealer volume / discounts, that affirms what mtlakejim mentions about camping world offering him the best price, etc.
Yes I meant 3791RD

AVOID Camping World, They had one advertised below invoice so I contacted them and said I will buy it they asked if I was cash or finance I told them cash, they then said cash would require $5K more, also I had to buy a $1500 wax treatment, another $1000 for the starter kit and I had to pay for the PDI delivery. Needless to say it was more than the others I was looking at They are crooks, they are the black tank of RV sales.

I should note they (Camping World) are not a high volume Montana Dealer.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 PM   #51
GreenBear
Established Member

M.O.C. #25111
Quote:
Yes I meant 3791RD

AVOID Camping World, They had one advertised below invoice so I contacted them and said I will buy it they asked if I was cash or finance I told them cash, they then said cash would require $5K more, also I had to buy a $1500 wax treatment, another $1000 for the starter kit and I had to pay for the PDI delivery. Needless to say it was more than the others I was looking at They are crooks, they are the black tank of RV sales.

I should note they (Camping World) are not a high volume Montana Dealer.
Good to know - that was my original intuition also.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #52
Montana2019
Established Member

M.O.C. #22614
Get a quote from Dawn Walker RV Outlet USA
My experience
No need to haggle
They smoked all other prices and were fair and upfront w process. You sound like someone that will ask all the right questions on what’s important to you in the delivery process to make sure it’s a good fit for the both of ya.
434-835-2465
Montana2019 is offline   Reply With Quote