Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Jollymon
Established Member

M.O.C. #22929
Old Montana

Good afternoon, folks.

We bought our first fiver a few months ago. It's a 2005 3400RL and while the interior is in in excellent shape, the exterior looks, well, old. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean and restore it? Or should I just hire a professional? Old retired guy here and not a fan of extensive periods of physical labor.

Thanks in advance!

Jollymon

Jollymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Lots of elbow grease and maybe some very light compound.
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have a 03 and man 35 foot is some serious real estate LOL I just wash mine with car soap and let it dry. Previous owner never seemed to wash the outside or wax it. Not sure i want to start something and not finish in a timely manner. I have a buffer but the biggest problem is the stickers. Mine are toast. Hard to work around.

My suggestion just wash it and tow her around.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You have a 13 year old camper. The finish on it has died of old age. You can breathe a little more life in it with a lot af light compound and wax but it will just die again. Go and enjoy your camper knowing you paid a fraction of new price and if someone doesn’t like it, well that’s their problem not yours.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Hire out the job to people that do it often. Sometimes good campsites have people that come do this work on site. Just insist that the worker bees take their time and do the best they can.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Jollymon
Established Member

M.O.C. #22929
That's why we bought a used one, just to see how much damage I would do before spending big bucks on something newer. It's not heinace to look at, but I drool when I watch the newer ones go down the road. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
Jollymon
Established Member

M.O.C. #22929
It is big, and a little intimidating at first. It's been getting better every trip we take. It's an absolute joy to pull though, and takes a lot of concentration to drive that far aheae of myself. We learn something new every time we take it out. This site has been a Godsend.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Jollymon
Established Member

M.O.C. #22929
Great idea. I'll just crack a beer and watch them work.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
https://poliglow-int.com
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
Jollymon
Established Member

M.O.C. #22929
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:36 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
After seeing several "experienced" Monty's this summer without decals, I am still considering finding someone locally to remove the worst offenders. I tried to remove one a few years ago but with a bum right rotator cuff--I would rather play golf! Also, inside is great and the outside is weather tight but has the cosmetic issues with decals. I agree with others--easy to tow and those new ones sure look great but $$$$$.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #12
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have looked at the new ones with drool on my chin also. LOL Only thing is mine is simple to use and everything still works fine. I have towed mine from coast to coast a couple times and I did have to make some simple repairs. But simple is always the best. Would I like a level up system hell ya but not a simple system and nothing more simple than a 4' level LOL.
At a $60,000 ;price tag I will just keep my 03 3280RL
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a 2011HC. It weighs in at 9400 pounds doesn’t give any trouble does everything I need a camper to do. Why would I get rid of it for a new one that weighs 3000 pounds more may be give problems and cost upwards of $60,000. I was born at night but it wasn’t last night.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
When we purchased our 02 3280RL, the decals were toast, and finish was oxidized. Found new decals on EBay, very close to originals. Removed decals using Scotch-Brite 07517 and buffer. Took 3 days to remove....PITA. Major shadow where graphics used to be. New decals won't stick to oxidation.

Used orbital sander 320 grit to remove oxidized areas where new decals would go. Then wet sanded with 400, 600, and 1,000 grit. Finished new decal areas with wool bonnet on buffer using polishing compound.

Applied new decals. Decided to let newly polished areas to naturally oxidize since polishing entire rig was out of the question. After 1 1/2 years, looks good. Polished areas have begun to oxidize making finish pretty even again.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
Ed and Carole
Established Member

M.O.C. #1292
Decals

Some models the decals were not made to last forever. One option is to remove and have stripes or designs painted. On our 2008 we removed all decals, painted and clear coated the front and rear and painted stripes. On the sides painted stripes. Some of the shadows of the old decals can be seen. We had this done by the painters at Playa Benita RV resort in Puerto Pensonaco (Rocky Point), Mexico
Ed and Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #16
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
We have a 2007, 3400RL we bought used. I wanted to pass on it because of the peeling decals and dull finish but my wife fell in love with the inside which looked as good as the day it came out of the factory. I was always embarrassed at the campground as my friends units always shined. After a couple of years I made a commitment in the fall to fix it in the spring. Let me start out by saying I am North of 70 years of age. Fortunately I have two devoted sons who helped or it would never have been completed. In light of that I suggest that if you can afford to have it professionally done, by all means hire someone. For me it was not in the budget. But after a full week of using at heat gun on about 4 square inches of peeling decals at a time, followed by a squirt of Acetone and then gently scraping the residue, we got all of them off. Had to do a follow up the next day as once dry from the Acetone, spots we missed became very apparent. Important you get them all as the wax or polymer you choose will not stick to any remaining glue. Be very careful with the scraping as it is easy to scratch and dig the surface. If you do, a dab of automotive scratch paint from any automotive store should hide it. We then washed it and applied a product called Rejex, which is a polymer. It brought a reasonable shine to the camper, was easy to apply with a wipe on/wipe off application, and has beaded water all through the summer up to this day.

I am no longer ashamed of its condition and got a lot of "wow's what did you do to it?" from the rest of the seasonal campers this spring. It was very labor intensive and as I said, if you do not have help and can afford to have it done, hire someone.

As to the bright spots which were under the decals, they will fade rather quickly and with the shine from the Rejex will often blend right in. To cover the end cap, I purchased decal on e bay of a large tiger head and applied it. We constantly have children stopping by who just stand there and stare at it. There are a lot of different vendors there who have not only animals but landscape scenes or other decorative decals.

Good luck. If it really bothers you just get it done. I felt so much better after putting it off for several years.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Photos please Neverhome
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Joe,

In middle of snowstorm. Will take pictures when sun comes out. Don't know how to upload pics here but if you send me a PM with your e mail address I will send them to you.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #19
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Decals on my 03 3295RK are peeling at the edges. I resorted to single edge blade to remove peeled edges multiple times. It is time intensive but slowly decals will be gone. Have to be careful keeping blade flat to avoid gouging.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:36 AM   #20
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Have read on other forums about guys using ZEP liquid floor wax. I think it is on irv2 under class A discussion. Any way just another idea, waxed our Montana this summer spread it out over a week.
We just bought a 28’ 5 year old class C that is white and oxidation had started. Used Meguires cleaner wax and brought the shine out great.
Spent 3 days on it maybe 12 hours total.
By the way does Jollymon sing?
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote