Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Midland Weather Radio

Hi All,
Thinking of buying a Midland WR-300 Weather radio. I know some of you have these, and I have a question for you.

When traviling I can get the County we're in by asking or using my Streets and Trips GPS. From what I've read I would then program the Radio for that County.

What I'm not clear on is, do you input the County by name and State or is there a code for each County. If there's a code how do you get it if no acccess to Phone or Internet?

Thanks

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
The ones I have used use a code for each county. Try this website.
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/indexnw.htm
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I tend to leave mine in "all county" mode thus I'm aware of what's going on in the area. It also solve the problem of inputting the incorrect county code or forgetting to change it. It's still good to know what county you are in at the time.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You could print off the county codes for the states of interest. There would be a lot for the whole country.

Leaving it on "all counties" is one approach, but you may get more information than you would like. "All counties" would only mean those within the local broadcast area, not literally all counties in the country. If we are staying one place long term, we set the county code, otherwise we leave it on "all counties". "All Counties" would also be useful if you are driving and moving from county to county.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep,

The all counties thing sounds reasonable if we couldn't get the local code. My only thought was, that we would jump out of our skin at say 2am for an alert 200 mi away. That wouldn't be much fun.

Also, here in AZ we have some really big counties, so a weather alert for our county could actually be 100 mi from us, but I would think most States have smaller counties.

Last Summer it seemed everywhere we went we had Tornado warnings, including Branson Mo. where we slepted in our Clothes to make a quick exit also Western PA. and even the Adirondack Mts. in up-state NY. Woke up three times in one night to the sound of sirens coming from the local fire station warning of a Tornado. Not a fun time.

Thanks for the feed back
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote