Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Roof vent cover replacement

Has anyone replaced the covers on the roof vents. The bathroom and bedroom covers are getting pretty bad and must be replaced. The hinges look like they are rivited and not easy to remove. Any advice on mfg. and procedure would be greatly appreciated. It is an 09' 3400.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Use the search function at the top of the page. Vent covers brings up a couple of threads.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
I have three that are cracked or broke. Planning on dropping her off. Dealer around Nov and letting them repair several items.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The roof vent lids are easy to remove. Usually there is a tab at each end of the hinge. Bend one up and the lid slides off. You want to take the lid with you to the RV parts place as there are at least four different types and they all look similar.

I remember someone else asking the same question a short time ago, but darn if I can find it. The crummy Search engine fails once again.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

The roof vent lids are easy to remove. Usually there is a tab at each end of the hinge. Bend one up and the lid slides off. You want to take the lid with you to the RV parts place as there are at least four different types and they all look similar.

I remember someone else asking the same question a short time ago, but darn if I can find it. The crummy Search engine fails once again.
A poor workman blames his tools:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...erms=roof,vent

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50395
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I noticed the last post (#50395) you didn't find by the Search tool either. That was the one I was looking for (as it turns out it is pretty much worthless). I knew the post was recent (Aug. 2, 2012) so I limited my Search to the last 60 days. No Hits!!!! The six posts you found via Search (same search words as what I used strangely enough) are all over two years old. I was looking for the recent one and the Search tool doesn't find it regardless of search words or time frame.

One wonders what other postings are missed by the Search engine? The technology for Key Word Out (or In) of Context (KWOC) is over 40 years old. You would think ForumCo would gave figured it out by now.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I just finished installing the 3 vent covers. Each one took less than 10 minutes and was really very simple. After the 1st one I was a pro. I could not believe how they fell apart in just over 3 years.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

I noticed the last post (#50395) you didn't find by the Search tool either. That was the one I was looking for (as it turns out it is pretty much worthless). I knew the post was recent (Aug. 2, 2012) so I limited my Search to the last 60 days. No Hits!!!! The six posts you found via Search (same search words as what I used strangely enough) are all over two years old. I was looking for the recent one and the Search tool doesn't find it regardless of search words or time frame.

One wonders what other postings are missed by the Search engine? The technology for Key Word Out (or In) of Context (KWOC) is over 40 years old. You would think ForumCo would gave figured it out by now.
You have to decide when you use the search engine whether to search on current posts or archived posts. There is a check box to do archived posts that will exclude current posts if checked. I do agree it's not the most user friendly search engine I've used, but not the worst.

However, you are correct. I typed in Roof Vents (the exact title of the post) and it didn't show up under current posts no matter what I tried. I'll let the web masters know.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I did current and archived posts and did not find anyone who described the process in any detail. Most had the covers installed by dealers. On long Island there are only a couple of dealers and it would cost me over $150.00 in labor alone. I did it myself for $45.00. Now in the future I can change them to the smoked ones for very little cost and save these for emergencies. Over my lifetime I have extensive knowledge is every trade except for welding. There is very little in the trailer I can't fix. However before I start an unknown repair it's nice to know a little of what i'm getting into or if someone has a better way or tip.

Thanks Carl N Susan it was just as you described.

John
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jwedell

I just finished installing the 3 vent covers. Each one took less than 10 minutes and was really very simple. After the 1st one I was a pro. I could not believe how they fell apart in just over 3 years.
The sun is a powerful force, not always for good.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I have a copy of the instructions for a Ventline cover. PM your email if you would like a copy. Not sure what brand Keystone uses now.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote