Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Old Swede
Established Member

M.O.C. #8407
Traveling with a macertor pump system

I use my Montana as a guest cabin at my lake place. I have a macerator pump system installed to pump black and grey water to a sewer system some 150 feet from the lake, it does a good job.
Is it parctical to use this system while camping around the country , on the move every few days. Thanks for the remarks ! Don

Old Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That question is answered by how easy it is to set up and tear down at each stop. It would be very hard to beat the Sewer Solution system in that department. If it is easy to set up and you already own it then........
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Hard to beat the ole 3" sewer hose.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Systems like that are used a lot of places for dumping. Just make sure you have the proper adapter to mate with the sewer inlet or dump station. You probably won't need 150' of hose but otherwise you should be okay.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Old Swede

I use my Montana as a guest cabin at my lake place. I have a macerator pump system installed to pump black and grey water to a sewer system some 150 feet from the lake, it does a good job.
Is it parctical to use this system while camping around the country , on the move every few days. Thanks for the remarks ! Don
I use a macerator and find it practical to carry with us all the time. It takes up little space. And, you never know when you might need it. The Sewer Solution works great too, but if you're someplace where you are not connected to a water system, then the macerator is probably the best way to go. We just came from a place in Oklahoma where we parked in a church parking lot and the sewer was 110 feet away. Macerator was perfect for this use.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have the Sewer Solution and love it BUT I also use the 3" hose on occasion to get a very thorough flushing of the Black Tank.
A great place for the Sewer Solution or any marcerator is any park where you need to use more than 20' of hose or you have an upgrade to the dump.

BTW..I can set up and breakdown the Sewer Solution in half the time of the 3". and 150 feet of 3/4" does take up a lot less space than even 20' of 3". Also the 3/4" hose can lay flat on the ground. No need for one of them "slinky" thingies or PVC trough. With the Macerator a huge space and time saver.

Also, for those attending the Fall Rally be prepared for a long run to the sewer connection. I would suggest bringing 30' of 3" hose. This is absolutely one of those Macerator times.

Orv, I had just such a situation of no water connection. I knew that before I got there and made sure my freshwater tank was full. Connected the Sewer Solution water hose at the convenience center and turned the pump on. Worked great.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
WE bit the bullet while at the NE rally and bought a macerator and 70 feet of 3/4 inch hose. We got the macerator at CW and the hose at Lowes. We were parked at the end of the row and our site had no sewer connection. H. John Kohl was the next site over and had a sewer connection. It was 60 feet from our rig to to his sewer connection, I ran a 3" Y on his connection so I could tap in without having to disconnect his hose. I was pump 60 feet and up hill about 5 feet. These measurements far exceed the capabilities of the Sewer solution. I actually gave my 6 month old sewer solution to Cap'n Chris when we got the macerator. The macerator worked great, not as fast as the 3" hose but more than enough to dump all three tanks (approx 130 gallons) in about 10 minutes with a good flush on the black. The only thing I might mention is that it is easier and safer to connect the macerator to a short length of 3" hose instead of directly to the main connection on the rig. the macerator weighs a few lbs and if you break off the mounting ears or the studs on the rig pipe you are out of business until you get that fixed. By using a short length of 3" from the rig to the pump you can lay the pump on the ground and remove the weight from the main rig pipe. The system is great if you have to make long runs or uphill to dump. I have it for just those situations. For normal parks I use the 3"... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote"BTW..I can set up and breakdown the Sewer Solution in half the time of the 3" end quote.

WHAT!!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
bigmurf...WHAT??? WHAT!!!
Probably less than half the time in most cases. With the sewer solution I come straight out of the rigs 3" pipe directly to the CGs dump. One fitting on either end and nothing to support the hose. No slinky, no pvc trough, no blockage under the hose at all as it lays flat on the ground, even on an up hill. Try that with 3". Hook up the Quick connect coupling from the all ready set up water hose in the convenience center and I am dumping.
Just for the hell of it,and as I am pulling out in the AM anyway, I just ran thru the entire set up just a bit ago and was ready to flush in under 5 minutes. Actual dumping/flushing should take no more than 10 minutes per tank and breakdown and stowing in 2-3 minutes. I doubt you could fit all the fittings/elbows onto a 3" hose and stretch it out and dump and flush in that amount of time.

Quote:
quote:These measurements far exceed the capabilities of the Sewer solution.
Dave, I am not so sure of that. I used my Sewer Solution at my daughters. It was an up hill pump of about 30'. Not real sure of the actual lift in elevation.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I just ordered the "sewer solution" So let me understand how it works???You have to have the spicket on from the camp ground,running to have the waste water coming out????Sounds odd but what do I know.And i`am guessing my "flush king" will be no longer needed???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

I just ordered the "sewer solution" So let me understand how it works???You have to have the spicket on from the camp ground,running to have the waste water coming out????Sounds odd but what do I know.And i`am guessing my "flush king" will be no longer needed???
Yes and no. For dumping the gray water it is not necessary to use the CG water as there are no solids in the gray tanks.
The Black tank is a different story. When the Sewer Flush is connected to the CG water and turned on it creates a hi pressure spray as the solids pass through. This hi pressure spray breaks up the solids and at the same time pushes the broken up waste through the 3/4" hose and into the CG sewer line.

I should point out that the efficiency of the Sewer Flusher is dependent on the CGs water pressure coming in. If it's low pressure coming in the sewer flusher takes a bit longer. The lower the pressure would also effect the distance and lift that the waste water can travel.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Glenn, at Byron I had to pump 60 feet with a 5 foot head (elevation) the instructions for the sewer solution say "no more than 30 feet in length and no more than 3 feet in elevation" Just going by the Sewer Solution literature... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #13
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
let me see. I pull out the 3" hose and hook it to the dump valve then put the other end in the dump pipe. Pull the handle. DONE in 2-3 minutes. Hose lays on the ground just fine. Guess this has worked for over 30 years for us.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Glenn, I am another happy S.S. owner for 4+ years. I set mine up for a quicker and easier setup.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
The hose running to the SS feeds down and through the underbelly and comes out near the connector for the SS. When I set up I just connect the SS and then plug the quick disconnect into the SS and we are ready to "go." ( on edit I guess it is important to mention you need to put the end of the neat and tidy 3/4" flexable PVC hose with the approved 3" adapter into the campground sewer dump before dumping.)
When I need to dump the black I just close the house valve, open the SS water inlet valve then open the black tank valve and there it goes. I can also open the black tank cleaner and get it all done with out moving a step. It is so simple it even works for me.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

let me see. I pull out the 3" hose and hook it to the dump valve then put the other end in the dump pipe. Pull the handle. DONE in 2-3 minutes. Hose lays on the ground just fine. Guess this has worked for over 30 years for us.
We never had any problem this way either until we spent the last year and a half at Catalina Spa in Desert Hot Springs. There is now a health department rule that says you can't let the sewer pipe in contact with the ground. It must be elevated. Don't know if that's just a local rule or California rule.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote