Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Michigan to Texas

We were planning to go to Florida again this winter but, after hearing from so many of you at Goshen, we thought we would try Texas and Arizona this year. We will be leaving Mich probably the 3rd week in January and arriving at Rockport, TX for a week beginning January 29. We will then travel south to the RGV, up to San Antonio and then into AZ. What would be the best route to travel at this time of year from MI to TX? We would only be in a hurry to leave the snow and cold and then no rush.

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
This is our route, give or take

Get to 69 south, head to Indianapolis. (we go around "I" on the east side of the 465)

Get on the I 70 and head west to bout Effingham Illinois.

Now, get on 57 south and take it to 55 south, this will take you through Missouri and into Arkansas

West of Memphis we get on the I 40 and head west.

From here on out there are any number of routes and we have taken several.

What we don't like about this route: some of the roads, like parts of 57 and 55 and 40 have some rough spots (like those on the infamous I 10). We slow down and have been known to drive in the passing lane if traffic is light.

What we do like: Almost no mountainous driving, all the hills are gentle rolling types. Easy driving.

We have gone from Tipton to near Effingham in one day, about 405 to 410 miles. UGH, this year we will do that in 2 days, the first day will only be about 120 mile hike, and we will leave here around noonish and get there early, set up and then just laz and rest. Then the next day we will do Effingham, and day 3 will be to about Brinkley Arkansas. We have SO FAR, been able to put water in Tana in Brinkley and had no worries about any possible freezing weather.

Ice can be a problem in lower Illinois, Missouri, and especially Arkansas. We have been happy so far in that we have not hit any of that wonderful weather event!

The trickiest spiciest part of this entire thing is getting 3 dry weather days in a row for safe driving. We are retired so refuse to leave in snow, ice, rain, etc.

We would love to leave NOW, but family obligations, the holidays and other obligations to our community here hold us till the first day after Chistmas or as soon after that as we can escape.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Carol. We appreciate this info. We too have to stay until after the holidays and then giddy-up-go. - Jim
Old 11-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Run outlined by Mrs Country is a good route, done that, and it is one of our proposed routes depending on weather conditions. Escaping from Michigan or Northern, Ohio in Dec can be a real Mission Impossible adventure.As stated you need 72 hours of good weather and everything has to be just right...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Here is a route which we have discovered and have passed on to others. It is a very flat, and relaxing drive. Cuts a lot of mileage off and misses some cities such as Texarcana, Little Rock, & Waco.
Just past West Memphis on I-40 take I-79 South until Minden. Jump on I-20 to just past Shreveport and then jump on I-79 South again. At Rockdale go South on I-77.
Take a look at a map and you will see that it is almost cross-country. The worse part is on I-20 because of chucking.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Carol, Rich, Bill and Ann - You folks are among the reasons that we are so pleased with this forum. We have a question or problem and it is not long until we have an answer. Thanks again - Jim
Old 11-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Country Guy noted:
"Get to 69 south, head to Indianapolis. (we go around "I" on the east side of the 465)

Get on the I 70 and head west to bout Effingham Illinois."

Because I live in the Indy area, I strongly recommend taking the West Leg of I465 around Indy. They have widened the roads on the west side traffic flows better - besides that is a shorter route.

There is still some construction on I70 West after you get off I465 over by the airport but you run out of it past the Plainfield Exit at the rest area. From there - clear sailing to Effingham.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Thanks for the info Phill & Gladys.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil

Hey, thanks for the headsup on this. The last time I was on the west bound side it was rough and a bit nasty, so we took the east bound, glad to hear they have fixed it up. When they widdened, did they resurface as well??
Old 11-03-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Yep, fix'en it up real good - added an extra lane - got brand new overpasses at 86th and 71st streets you will still have a little rough stuff when you first get on to I70 at the airport. Lot of changes going on at the airport area with them building a new Terminal and all that. There is some minor bridge work between Indy and Terri Haute but the last time I was over that way last week on our way to Arkansas there was no slow down what-so-ever.
I just wish Illinois would raise their speed limit for RV's. They have posted 55 mph and prefer to travel between 60 and 65. Besides those corn fields gets boring after a while.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks Phil, VERY good info!!!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 05:01 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Probably ought to stay out of this but....

I am with Bill and Ann 100% on the value of taking US 79 through Texas, but I have one alternative to offer: I find getting through Little Rock and Texarkana a breeze, never even slow down so...

I would take US 59 out of Texarkana, but then pick up Texas 155 at Linden, Texas. 155 is a fine highway and a scenic drive at that. You could then follow 155 all the way to Palestine, Texas. Going around Tyler is the only congestion, but there is a bypass (Loop 323 which should be taken around West to 155 South).

In Palestine, you would join US 79 as Bill and Ann have suggested. I'm not saying this is a better route, but it is the one I would take.

One final possibility that would avoid the Tyler "problem", You could stay on US 59 South out of Texarkana to Marshall then take Texas 43 to Henderson, where you would then pick up US 79. Texas 43 is also a good highway, and since I was pastor in both Marshall and Henderson (as well as Tyler and Palestine) I am pretty familiar with that part of the country.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
With all of this good info. we are antsier to start then ever. Thanks again, all - Jim
Old 11-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Wife and I are heading out to Los Fresnos, TX from mid Mich. after Christmas. I would leave now, but wife likes holiday with her family, I would like decent weather but that sometimes will not happen this time of year. This will be our first escape from winter.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
You can always go home for xmas, as some do, (we did it once with just the TV), or do what I now do and send "her" home by air for 10 days in Jan.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #16
snow
Established Member

M.O.C. #434
We also are planning a trip, leaving around Jan. 15 to Benson, Az.from Michigan. The same route almost, I-69 to Indianapolis; then I-57 to I-55 down to Memphis; then I-40 to Lil-Rock and I-30 to Dallas. Then I-20 and drive forever across Texas to I-10 at Elpaso, to Benson.
Thanks for the insight of using the west leg around Indianpolis. Our first trip to Arizona, and first trip during winter months. I agree, getting south as quickly as possible, just hope we don,t find freezing rain. Just park it, I guess. I,ll be watching the extended forecast on the weather channel.
I was gonna go thru on I-44 to I-40; luckily I was told about snow probability on that route, and the higher altitudes in New Mexico.
RV. net also had some good information about winter travel.
But us Montana guys gotta stick together....lol....

2004 Chev. Extend Cab, 2500HD, Short Box
Allison 5-speed tranny
16K- slider hitch
2004 Montana 2980, 3-slider
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One point you may or may not care about. Illinois has a 55 mph speed limits for motorhomes and vehicles towing trailers. Sometimes it's still the shortest route but if there's choices, that's something to keep in mind. I usually run 55 to 60 for about ten minutes then get tired of getting run over and up the speed a bit, in Illinois. I once emailed their Governor asking why they are one of the few with the speed limit differential. The secretary of transportation replied saying it's because there are so many inexperienced people driving motorhomes and towing trailers, so it's a safety thing. I submit the differential is itself a safety issue but that's another topic.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote