Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Lippert leak down

For the last several weeks I’ve had o relevel once a week, in a that weeks time the jacks have been leaking down towards the front. I checked every connection, checked the manual valve bypass etc. I wiped down all the jacks were the bottom and top plates bolt to the tubes. I did finally notice some fluid seepage on the front door side jack, I tightened the bottom bolts a bite and let it sit until the next day, it still have some seepage, fluid was seeping from the top plate at where it bolts to the tube so I tightened them down a bit. I check the jack today and there is just a film of fluid from under one bolt area, I know these bolts are a grade 5 fine thread and should be 7/16 on the top head

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When my rig was new, I had fluid leaking down the drivers side front jack. It wasn't the jack at all. On that side mounted to the wall was a gang of valves and all of them were loose about a half a turn and the fluid was slowly following the tubing to the front jack. Tightened them and the problem went away. If you can't find something liike that, call Lippert customer service. They are great to work with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
When my rig was new, I had fluid leaking down the drivers side front jack. It wasn't the jack at all. On that side mounted to the wall was a gang of valves and all of them were loose about a half a turn and the fluid was slowly following the tubing to the front jack. Tightened them and the problem went away. If you can't find something liike that, call Lippert customer service. They are great to work with.
It’s not the valves, I’ve been all over this system and the only leak/seepage is one jack where the top steel cap is bolted to the aluminum jack tube. It’s seeping between the cap and the tube, I’ve managed to reduce the seepage significantly by tightening the 3 grade 5 bolts on top.

2017 3160 RL
Old 02-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
I had 1 creeping down while driving. Like you I searched for a leak but really couldn’t find one.
I called Lippert and they had me take the camper in to be checked.
I made an appointment and told CW I was traveling through the area but needed them to check it before Lippert would authorize repair.
CW got us in and out in 2 hours, found 2 cylinders leaking using some type of pressure test. Lippert authorized replacement under warranty and CW reimbursed the $75 service charges for the shop time. CW ordered parts and worked us in before we left a couple weeks later.
Might check with Lippert.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
I sent you a P.M. Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Thanks Hickory,

I turn that Allen screw on the solenoid on the DS jack counter clock wise but there was no snugging it up, it was loose althe way until it stared leaking out the Allen screw threads. I then screwed it back in clock wise and lowered the fron jacks and as it was creeping down I adjusted the Allen screw until the creeping stopped. I’ll monitor it for a couple of day and adjust as necessary, but for now it seams to have worked.

2017 3160 RL
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The Allen screw on the solenoid is either fully CW or CCW... there is no in between adjustment.

If it’s leaking out of the solenoid bodynthen the orings inside the body of the solenoid on the orrifice shaft you are turning are bad and need replaced...

You might be able to find re0alcement orings at a good auto parts store or order a new solenoid assembly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BBBCF2E-A232-4620-9572-E1008A39FD5C.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	3231  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The Allen screw on the solenoid is either fully CW or CCW... there is no in between adjustment.

If it’s leaking out of the solenoid bodynthen the orings inside the body of the solenoid on the orrifice shaft you are turning are bad and need replaced...

You might be able to find re0alcement orings at a good auto parts store or order a new solenoid assembly
I figured the valve was messed up since the Allen screw never got snug, I checked this morning and it has not settled/creeped. Will I need to put jack stands under our Monty and raise the level jacks to remove this valve and repair or replace.

2017 3160 RL
Old 03-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #9
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Montana slide out creeping out in cold weather

I contacted Lippert and said my hydraulic Lippert system allows my one slide out to creep out 2” or so in the winter. Anyone have the same issue? They said it’s a leaking hydraulic rod, jack rod, or room rod. Seems complicated to diagnose and costly. I also can’t get my right rear jack to fully retract in auto retract. They said it may be a leak by and the system is hitting the high pressure indicating jacks are retracted. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks John Stadler
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
You will need to either support the fifth wheel by having it connected to truck hitch or adequate rated stands to support the load...I’d do it with it hitched to truck

Crack open the pressure line on top of that LG with the solenoid and have some rags and drip pan to catch the fluid...it’s under pressure ...once bled down then disconnect extriical lead to solenoid and remove assy

Install new solenoid assy, reconnect lead and tighten up hyd line fittings... no run the LG thru a couple of extend and retract cycles pausing between cycles to allow pump motor to cool..

This will bleed out any air that got into the system. Make sure the solenoid is turned fully CCW of course.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #11
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Lippert

What is the LG?

Thank you,

John
Old 03-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
LG

Where do you get a new solenoid assembly?

Thanks

Quote:
You will need to either support the fifth wheel by having it connected to truck hitch or adequate rated stands to support the load...I’d do it with it hitched to truck

Crack open the pressure line on top of that LG with the solenoid and have some rags and drip pan to catch the fluid...it’s under pressure ...once bled down then disconnect extriical lead to solenoid and remove assy

Install new solenoid assy, reconnect lead and tighten up hyd line fittings... no run the LG thru a couple of extend and retract cycles pausing between cycles to allow pump motor to cool..

This will bleed out any air that got into the system. Make sure the solenoid is turned fully CCW of course.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
LG = Landing Gear
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:

Thanks ChuckS

2017 3160 RL
Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
One of many sources out there for a complete assy......

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Hydac...045-138417.htm
Old 09-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
roglesbee

M.O.C. #24931
Did replacing the solenoid assembly fix the creeping down issue you were having?
roglesbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #17
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
wrong person

Quote:
Originally Posted by roglesbee View Post
Did replacing the solenoid assembly fix the creeping down issue you were having?
I'm not the one who replaced a solenoid. I simply tightened the allen screw in mine and it fixed the settling issue. that was about 3 or 4 years ago. For some reason I got your message but I think it was "Dad's Hemi" that replaced the solenoid.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote