Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Wyatt Earp
Established Member

M.O.C. #21746
Replacing Dometic Thermostat

Asking for help again. Thanks to the great advice I received from MOC members I contacted Dometic and they sent me a replacement thermostat. I thought I was getting just the face plate or no more than the wall mounted thermostat. What I got was everything! The box contained the wall unit, 4 bolts that are at least 5 inches long and a gray metal box that I haven't open plus some wiring. For anyone who replaced their thermostat what did you do and how did you do it? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
This sounds odd. Are you trying to replace your HVAC thermostat? If so, this is probably what you need:

https://www.campingworld.com/dometic...ermostat-black

No idea what Dometic sent you, but it does not sound right. Replacing the ct thermostat takes just a couple minutes; pull the face plate off, two screws and a few wires. Take a picture of the old one before you remove the wires; put them on the new one the same way.

They just sent me new face plates, but it took almost 3 months to get them.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Sounds like what you got, besides the thermostat, is the unit that goes under the A/C unit that converts the signal from the thermostat to the A/C, and controls the A/C. You probably don't need to install the gray box, which has a circuit board, relays, and connections for the phone cable that goes from the thermostat to the A/C. We had a failure in one of those boxes under our front bedroom unit, and had to replace it due to corrosion on the circuit board and the connectors for the phone cable. We also had to replace our thermostat later on due to a display issue that was unrelated to the previous box issue. I would try the thermostat first, and if that fixes the issue, you are good. If it doesn't fix the issue, replace the box under your primary A/C unit. On your rig, this may require lifting the A/C off the roof, not real sure how the newer systems are set up.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
On my bedroom unit the control box is on the right side, just under the cover; a few screws to remove the cover.

On my main room unit, the control box is in front, just under the cover.

Not sure what you are trying to fix, but Bob is right, replace the thermostat first and see what happens. No need to mess around on the roof at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-22 14.38.54 -2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	982.0 KB
ID:	2662  
Old 11-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Wyatt Earp
Established Member

M.O.C. #21746
There was a thread a month or so ago about Dometic thermostats doing strange things like touching the up arrow and the temp indicator jumping to 90 degrees and touching the down arrow, jumping to 55. It was due to the thermostat face being too sensitive. It was suggest to contact Dometic and they would replace it under warranty. This is what I did but wasn't expecting the complete unit, just the thermostat. So I was confused (normal state for me ) so I thought I'd ask those who have replaced their unit. I think I'll follow your suggestion to replace just the thermostat and see if that will fix my problem. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Dometic sent me the same boxes!! All I wanted was touch pad but she said......."the whole package is coming your way...just in case!" So I got to complete units!!!!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Dometic sent me the same boxes!! All I wanted was touch pad but she said......."the whole package is coming your way...just in case!" So I got to complete units!!!!
You hit the jack pot; all I got was face plates. Whatever you don't use, keep as spares.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
My thermostat switches from furnace to heat pump almost by itself It is very cold where we are and when I adjust the temp while on furnace, it switches to heat pump Sometime it switches and we swear we never touched It

Frustrated to say the least ... solutions
Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
There was a thread a month or so ago about Dometic thermostats doing strange things like touching the up arrow and the temp indicator jumping to 90 degrees and touching the down arrow, jumping to 55. It was due to the thermostat face being too sensitive. It was suggest to contact Dometic and they would replace it under warranty. This is what I did but wasn't expecting the complete unit, just the thermostat. So I was confused (normal state for me ) so I thought I'd ask those who have replaced their unit. I think I'll follow your suggestion to replace just the thermostat and see if that will fix my problem. Thanks.
Yeah I posted that, I contacted them also and told them I needed new faceplates due to the foam that used, they stated no problem and sent them out, and yes I got the complete package too, just used the faceplates, have the rest in storage just in case anything for the future or anyone here needs one...
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
Grampa
Established Member

M.O.C. #19252
my dometic thermostat set at 61 does not go off till room reaches 72, I have a propane furance no heat pump. Does this need replacing. We have 2016 fl3711 montana
Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmarlow82 View Post
My thermostat switches from furnace to heat pump almost by itself It is very cold where we are and when I adjust the temp while on furnace, it switches to heat pump Sometime it switches and we swear we never touched It

Frustrated to say the least ... solutions
Call domestic,they will replace them free of charge. They did for both of ours. I did read on another forum, if you take the faceplate off and pop out the small foam blocks and reinstall them, it will help solve that issue.

Also remember, these thermostats should be used like a smart phone, very LIGHT touches are all it takes to use them. DO NOT press hard on the buttons as that compresses the foam pads behind the faceplate, thus creating issues.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote