Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
wheel bearings/seal bad

Just finished repacking the wheel bearings on one side. I did it because there was grease on the backing plate. When I pulled the drum off the seal stayed on the spindle and what a mess it was, grease every where. The bearing cavity in the drum was totally full of grease. They must have put the pneumatic grease gun on it at the factory as the second one was the same but the seal was still in the drum but didn't have any grease leakage. Got it all cleaned up and back together. The China bearings looked good one wheel but but the inner bearing on the other one had 4 pitted rollers and a nail hanger ridge on the race. Replaced it with SKFs made in Mexico.

Called the dealer about the greasy backing plate before I took it apart and they said that Keystone doesn't warranty the seals because it is a maintenance item. Sure going to try and get a new bearing out of them. It only had about 5K miles on it.

mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Mike, you have the Easy Lube system, in which grease is pumped through the zerk fitting on the front of the hub, and is supposed to force it's way through the rear bearings, then travel through the hub to the front bearings. That's why the hub is full of grease. Of course that doesn't explain why the seal failed. Since your bearing race had a worn ridge on it, I wonder if the hub nut was too tight from the factory. How much did the bearings cost if I may ask?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Mike, you have the Easy Lube system, in which grease is pumped through the zerk fitting on the front of the hub, and is supposed to force it's way through the rear bearings, then travel through the hub to the front bearings. That's why the hub is full of grease. Of course that doesn't explain why the seal failed. Since your bearing race had a worn ridge on it, I wonder if the hub nut was too tight from the factory. How much did the bearings cost if I may ask?
The bearing was $34 and the race was $11. They said that they don't sell sets when they get that big. I will not use the easy lube unless it is an emergengy. Thinking about getting solid dust covers beacause even the rubber plugs have rotted and split and I keep mine stored inside. Checking with Keystone if they will give me another bearing.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Thanks - the price doesn't seem out of line. Funny you should mention those rubber plugs! The center tip on my original ones cracked, and one even broke completely off. The ones I replaced them with look identical, but have held up much longer. Go figure!?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Thanks - the price doesn't seem out of line. Funny you should mention those rubber plugs! The center tip on my original ones cracked, and one even broke completely off. The ones I replaced them with look identical, but have held up much longer. Go figure!?
Looked at the bearing reciept and the race was $17 instead of $11.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Mike, did you use a factory seal?, and do you have a brand and part number ?, I want to have a set in stock for future hub inspections, thanks Ron
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RonD

Mike, did you use a factory seal?, and do you have a brand and part number ?, I want to have a set in stock for future hub inspections, thanks Ron
Ron, Napa could not cross reference the seal so they had to measure it. They had one with the measurments but it was only a single lip with no spring. I took mine out very carefully so inspected them and reused since they were only 7 months old. They had Dexter stamped on metal housing and a number on the rubber but couldn't cross reference. Will see if I can get a set from dexter for the next time unless someone comes up with a cross reference.