Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Stinky galley tank.....

When our galley tank gets full, we develop a leak. Whew, does it stink. I'm thinking some bleach down the sink to deodorize the tank. I'm thinking there is no metal in the drain system, so the bleach shouldn't hurt anything. Opinions?

BTW, I can't fix it right now either. Had a little slip and fall; banged the old shoulder up a little.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Will.
I've had good luck with pouring some Borax powder down the sink drains in my house. It will probably work for the RV also. The bleach would probably work also. I do pour a little Orange Power down the kitchen sink in the RV from time to time. I haven't had any bad smells from the sink yet.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I hope you are not going to put bleach into the system if you are dumping into a septic system. Clorox and anti-bacterial soap retards the natural working of the septic system.

We had some galley "bad breath" issues, so we used a black tank treatment packet after we dumped the tank. Then we added about 3 or 4 gallons of water. After sloshing it around a few miles while in transit, no "bad breath".
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
That is a tipical smell from the gally tank, there's food that is giong bad and it will have that nasty smell I use that green stuff CW sells for holding tanks in both of my gray tanks the one that gets the shower and sink in the bedroom area never has a smell, just the galley tank. but the cemical helps try that Boraxo water conditioner in the green and white box for laundry it works prity good too.
When I think about it I get more smell from that tank than I do from the black tank.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I installed a flusher on the galley tank just like the one on the black tank. Now I just flush it every so often and it gets all the buildup out. Use degreaser and let it soak before flushing.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

I installed a flusher on the galley tank just like the one on the black tank. Now I just flush it every so often and it gets all the buildup out. Use degreaser and let it soak before flushing.
That sounds like a great idea. When I can get around to pulling the belly and see what is leaking (only leaks when full), I think I might install one of those tornado flushes. We had the dealer install one on the black tank.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The galley tank should be treated just like the black tank. Food gets down there and rots hence the "smell"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

That sounds like a great idea. When I can get around to pulling the belly and see what is leaking (only leaks when full), I think I might install one of those tornado flushes. We had the dealer install one on the black tank.
Will, I just had both my grey tank replaced - under extended warranty - both sprung leaks right at the top where the plumbing goes into the tank and only leaked when full. The smell when this happens is quite noticeable.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote