Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Peeling Decals

I know this subject has been on many times, but I had not paid much attention because it didn't pertain to me--until now. Noticed the decals on nose of Monty starting to peel off at edges. Any solutions? Will Keystone do anything about it? (My 3400RL is just over two years old.)

mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stay tuned there was just a seminar at the Fall Rally by Burlington Graphics.

I need to verify with others attending, or they can jump in here and let me know if I understood correctly.

They will replace the graphics, BUT, most likely you will have to pay for removal and replacement.

It was a great seminar, lots of hints on taking off (heat gun) and putting back on (water with a drop of dawn dish soap, spray the surface to be applied to and the back of the graphic as well).

Care hints, and such were also discussed.

Like I said, I understand there is more to come in the next day or week or so from Burlington that will be posted here on the forum.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Carol, I think, if I recall correctly that it was also suggested to simply clean graphics and not "wax" them. The wax may advance peeling or curling. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yes, Dennis, I believe so.

I think that there is gonna be some more info forthcoming, about cleaning and maintaining your graphics, the no wax, nothing used on them that is petroleum based, etc.

It was a VERY interesting seminar.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Thanks for this important info. I have a 2005 and it is peeling off. Yes, I have put wax over the letters. It is hard to wax the front face and not do the letters. I will be watching for more info on this
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This seminar was what I call a typical "myth buster" seminar. Most of them are.We were told in no uncertian terms by the folks that designed the graphics.. not to wax them...ever..That is a very bad thing.. yet there will be folks who will say they do not know what they are talking about.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I've never waxed mine, just washed with Dawn and water, and they are peeling anyway. I just chalked it up to poor quality vinyl. Maybe the new ones are higher grade material.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Well mine is 2 years old and they are peeling and yes I waxed the front after every trip, how else do you keep the bugs off. I was never told by my dealer not to wax the decals. I an calling the tommorrow for the frig. recall, I'll have to ask them about the decals.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rich is correct, it was quite a myth buster seminar.

Hopefully your dealer will know mtheo.

They said that some of the manufacturers of vinyl made better products, lots of techy stuff thrown out, some vinyls did not apply well in the plant during the winter, that created reason to go back to the drawing board. Lots more of that information, it was an hour seminar, sorry, I cannot remember it all.

The graphics are covered with a clear coat, they don't want that "roughed" up during cleaning process.

Wash, if at all possible from side to side, so as to not pull the tops of the decal away from the rig.

Heat will cause some shringing and damage. I probably should not say a lot more on that, as I will most like say something that is not quite correct.

Ohhh, and there are like 2 major and 3 (or so) minor suppliers of the vinyl they make the graphics out of.

Ohhhh, and for you bikers, this company supplies the majority of the graphics used by Harley, ya, that Harley.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You may want to contact Burlington Graphics..This is the guy...Mathew Hostetler...262-554-8808. I know that this may be a radical and far
out concept but the manufacturer of a product may know more about the design, care and maintenance of their product than my self or a poster on some forum. As said these seminars ..by the manufacturers are "myth Busters" and very educational. Burlington graphics is trying their best to provide the best possible product and they do want to hear from the user under what conditions they are used and how you care for them. They will try to give customer satisfaction. I have to say that after hearing these vendor seminars over the last three rallies that many product failures are'" self inflected" Give them a call...and do not wax the graphics..if you have ask them how to get the wax off and WHY you do not want to wax them..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Thanks for the help. I have never used wax and have never used a power sprayer, however, I have cleaned the bugs off with Bounty fabric softener. I wouldn't think that would be harmful to the decals.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
David,

They did indicated that a WET bounce fabric sheet would not be a problem, again, rubbing side to side instead of top to bottom, etc.

One of the guys doing the seminar is a biker, with decals, but of course, and he says he cleans his bike with HOT water and a linen type material.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
Don't wax the decals, HA! Sounds like CYA for a crummy product.

Don't wash them either, the dirt and bugs will provide a protective layer.
I took mine off with a heat gun.

Good Riddance!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
All of mine are peeling and were two years after we got it. At the Flying Flags rally the Keystone Rep saw what I had and told me to send him pictures with the decal problem, I did all that and Keystone told me with a good faith gesture the would replace the front cap only. Ha what a joke. what about all the rest of them?? Too Bad for me.
I'll get them all off and have some graffics painted on, and it wont be an advertisement either.
If you figure the cost for a complete set of decals and to have them removed and installed by a dealer the price is just about the same as a custome paint job.
I have meet quite a few owners of Keystone products "SOB" that are having the same problems with decals and they have received the same answer as I did from Keystone.
Thats why I dont bother trying any more to get the problem fixed by Keystone it's not worth the time or stress.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Would anyone consider that after a thorough wash applying a clear lacquer of some kind to seal the nose cap art work?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

Would anyone consider that after a thorough wash applying a clear lacquer of some kind to seal the nose cap art work?
Steve I think the decal paint and the plastic vinal might react to Lacquer, orange peel if you know what I mean, and I believe the cap is made from a PVC material.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
They said not to add anything to the decals, the last layer IS a coat of clear coat.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Not sure why I got so lucky but I sent in pictures of the peeling decals on my 04 and a couple of weeks later I received two large shipping tubes with a full set of deacls. I have removed most of the decals and will start replacing them soon. Getting the decals off was the easy part, removing all the left over adhesive not so fun.
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Very interesting that Burlington Graphics is now saying not to wax the graphics. In Spring of 2008, they said very strongly TO wax the graphics every few months if possible.

Some of you might remember I got deep into the graphics issue in Spring and posted each step of the way. They had supplied us and HamRad a whole complete new set of 2002 graphics for our rigs. I had also posted earlier this year the name, phone number and email of the person at Burlington Graphics who is assigned to help Montana owners with graphic problems.

I think I will give a call out there tomorrow and see if he is still with Burlington or not. If not, I have the contact info of their president who I will go to next to see if there has been an "about face" on this issue and if so... why they are now saying not to wax.

So confusing.....

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #20
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The campground hosts at the Bald Eagle campground in the Scott County Park near Davenport, Ia had the best solution. Their first Montana had a peeling problem which they could not get repaired properly so when they ordered their new 3400 they removed all of the graphics.

We drove past that sucker a dozen times before I stopped to ask where he got an all white 5ver.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote