Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Ask The Experts!

The MOC experts that is!

Here is a photo of one of our slides underneath. This just can't be the way the wiring was configured to begin with when it was new. The wires slide back and forth on the guide wires. I can visualize the guide wires eating away and shorting out the wires in time. There must be a better way for this to be fixed. Is this the way it was made on the 2002 model when it was new?

How difficult would it be to reconfigure this?
What are you suggestions?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If that is all the cables are used for, can you replace them with plastic coated cables? They make 1/4" cable that is coated. should be less wear and tear on the electric. They possibly make other sizes too,I have never looked. I have seen and used 1/4" coated.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We used to have an 02 3255RL. It was just as in your picture. It never caused us any problem, but if you feel the insulation is wearing through from contact with the steel guide rods, I would consider covering the rods with something smoother. Electrical tape comes to mind, but there are numerous other ways to approach this. There really is only any friction when the slide is operating, and perhaps a bit when traveling, but there is no tension on the cables then. Most of the time there should not be any wear, so I would not panic, unless you see evidence of chafing through. (...and I am not an expert, just passing on my opinion.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
My greatest fear would be the wire when the slide is close would hang low to the ground? I would suggest more support to hold up those wires, by using carabiners that would slide down the cable. For the wires that are suppored by the cable could you disconnect them remove them from the slide cable and then support them with carabiners also?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right...I had mine out, reconditioned the guides (sanded & repainted), thought about doing some coating but this appears to be not doable as they slide into the "I" beam through holes...this is causing my reconditioning to wear out. I did manage to redress those loops to get them "all" on the guides which should slow the wear-out.
Any improvements...please post them as I'm all ears!!!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have the same situation as Bill-N-Donna and have not come up with any solution yet. Bob has been keeping an eye on the cables as the rods are starting to pit and show some rust. Like OntMont he is thinking of using electrical tape on the rods. If anyone has a better solution we, too, would be interested in hearing it.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I tried posting a nice long possible solution and I guess that was the problem - to wordy.

I would try some grommets that would fit the inner diameter of the coil and slice the grommet diagonally, then use rubber cement to reattach the ends.

Or, instead of taping the entire rod, I would tap only the cable that rides on the rod.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
can you also go to a farm supply or hardware store and purchase some clear tubing or thread reinforced tubing. split it lenthwise,slip over cables and either superglue or tape back together.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Never seen this before. Would it be too difficult to replace the cables with plastic coated cable?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I haven't seen that set up before. I assume the cables move in and out with the slide. How are they stored when the slide is retracted? You could coat the cables with a silicon based grease which won't attack the insulation of the wires and will reduce friction on them from sliding on the cables. However if the cables are open to road debris this may create another problem if sand etc stick to them. If you decide to try grease, here is a site of one possibility. Do not use petroleum based grease as it can attack natural and some synthetic rubber causing it to soften and eventually disintegrate.

http://www.super-lube.com

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Companies like Oatey, Soiux Chief, and Holdrite make gromets that should take care of the holes in the frame problem, then look at thier hangers to see if they have something you like. These products are availabe through a plumbing wholesaler that can be reached through ea manufactures website or PM me and I'll shoot you the info...Steve

www.holdrite.com/ , http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/...d+Hangers.html , www.siouxchief.com/Frm_MS.cfm
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And, what about the spiral electrical plastic thing-a-ma-jig that is used to hold wires looking nice behind the televisions and amplifiers. It would fit on their nice and protect the cover.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote