Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
Fractured Ladder Bolt

Has anyone taken the ladder off? I had what appeared to be a loose bolt on one of the ladder stand-offs. When I removed it, it was only about 2" long and appears to be sheared. I would guess it's really about a 7" bolt and is only there to maintain the stand-out dimension and not carry any load.

My plan is to remove the aluminum tubing surrounding the bolt, remove the remaining bolt (and flange if necessary) and reassemble. Any surprises waiting for me?

Thanks, Norm

nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Each rung on my ladder has "spider nuts" inside that became rusted. What I did was install long galvanized bolts thru the rung and then put a stainless "Acorn nut" on the end. Doesn't look bad and it is much stronger than the old spider nuts with short bolts. I did this because I had a problem locating new nuts. Since then I have found some but I prefer the long bolt method.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Here is a pix.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I know this subject has come up a few times. Here's a link to one that I posted to back in January 07:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...9&SearchTerms=,

Our ladder is still very secure after almost 3 years. I haven't tried turning the screws as there has been no need since I added the grease, but I would think they would not be frozen. They must have been left loose during installation by the factory.

Seems most any fix is better than the original design.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
Spider nuts??? I guess I'll find out when I take it apart. It'll be a few days before I can tackle it. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
That's what I call them. They are pressed into the tube to act as nut. When they rust the rungs get loose.

Ok found one in the tool box. Brand new

Old 09-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
Thanks for the hints and photos. I took the ladder apart and repaired it today. There were a couple of bolts that gave me some trouble (rusted in) but I finally got them out. Sure enough, the one that I thought was fractured was, in fact, fractured. It was an almost clean break at about 1 1/2" of the 3" bolt. Coated everything with anti-seize compound and reassembled with new 3" bolts. Very secure now.