Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #1
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Your other hobbies or interests

I thought this might be of interests to some, so thought I would start this thread on what are your other hobbies or interests besides RVing.

Being 75 yrs old, I have had many, some no longer do but a few I still am active into. Since the age of 13, I have been a licensed Ham Radio Operator, following my dad's footsteps. In HR you have many aspects as to what you want to operate, being Morse Code, Voice, Teletype, Satellites, Digital, etc. I think I have done most except Microwaves. Still have operating station here and photos can be seen at http://QRZ.com/db/w6zkh and also shown is a picture of my BBQ/Cooking area I have in the back yard, where I do Smoking and Grilling. With 3 smokers and 2 grills, plus Dutch Ovens I get my fill of cooking, which I enjoy. My other main interests is my horses and still ride but not as fast as I use too. My body wont take the beating anymore as am walking around with enough metal parts in me as it is.
So, be interested in hearing from others here as to what their interests are.
Picture of me on Cash, a half Arab/Quarter Horse..grainy picture from cellphone.

2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Enjoyed your photos. Thanks for sharing. That is a beautiful horse you are riding. I used to ride as a boy, but have not done much since then.

Traveling in our 34' fifth-wheel is a major "hobby" of ours. I also enjoy taking photos and video, and editing that video for DVDs. I've been "fooling with" computers since the very early 1980s and still enjoy using them, especially with communication such as e-mail and Skype. I talk almost daily with a friend in Adelaide, Australia, using live audio/video.

I don't do as much BBQing as I did just a few years ago. Part of the reason is that so many of our friends have died, or are in bad health. As a young man you won't have that problem.

Thanks for sharing.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For me it's turkey hunting, never very good at it but my brother and I used to go. Now that he is gone it's not as much fun. My other interest is long range ground hog hunting, 700 to 1000+ yards and riding my Honda motorcycle.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Used to be hunting of any kind. But all the old farmers/ranchers I knew have long since passed on and no where local to hunt any more. But do still go to our deer hunting camp in the TX hill country every year since 1969 with 3 guys I graduated high school with. This was our 48th season. Sort of a yearly reunion since we do not see much of each other during the year. But have gone from gun hunting, to bow hunting, to camera hunting. Since the kids have grown and gone, we just do not eat the meat any more. But I still enjoy just being out in the woods, or fields, or pastures, or ....

Used to play a lot of golf. But all my old golfing buddies gave it up or got physically unable to play.

Otherwise, the grandkid's baseball (varsity and select), volleyball (middle school and club), soccer, competitive dance, etc. keeps us running.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Razorback sports, trout fishing, quail & turkey hunting, traveling,
and ballroom dancing.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I have enjoyed building HO scale model railroads since I was a little boy and chasing and photographing real trains. I try to paint and detail my models to look like the ones I photograph. When we travel this beautiful country I am always searching for model railroad clubs in the areas we go to and visit them.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Enjoyed you talking about Ham Radio - during my childhood my dad was into HR and used the corner of my bedroom as his station. Wake up at 4 AM and strangers are standing in your bedroom talking on the radio. My dad would connect military people with their families at holiday time. This was back in the 1950 & 1960.

Anyway, I do genealogy research and dutch oven cooking as hobbies while camping. Also help my wife with quilting/sewing.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Scott people travel from all over the US to photograph trains here in Shawsville Va on the John Farm Rd. We live about 10 miles from there and my nephew who works in my shop actually owns the road. Maybe you have been here. If you haven't and ever come here let me know and get the royal treatment. Our neighbor has one of the large model trains you can ride on. He has a tunnel 40 feet long 2 bridges a mile or more of track a building 40 by 60 or larger for the station all class A and loves to show it to anyone. The next time you are on I81 in Va at exit 143 stop spend the night on our farm and I will show it to you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Grilling, smoking and BBQing, plus shooting and woodworking for me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Wife and I decided to see all (drivable) US national parks and completed that last summer.
I love playing bridge. Also was a programmer and still mess around for fun. I actually wrote my first program using paper tape input on a vacuum tube computer. And had an Apple II with a serial number in the 7000's.
I play volleyball 3 days a week and have the ice bags to prove it!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:53 AM   #11
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Have a hobby greenhouse to grow winter veggies, woodworking, cooking...grilling, bbq and smoking as well...have an HO train room too but dont play as much as used to...shooting and hunting, working on the farm, riding side by side 4 wheeler with my spouse...cutting firewood and just enjoying life!
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hobbies are ANYTHING that involves Horsepower except real HorsesI am not afraid to go 170MPH on a Ninja but Horses scare the heck out of me, my Sister has always owned them and I have been Bucked off and Bit to many times to count and she always laughs her head off at me when it happens
Old 12-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #13
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Cycling (I'm slow), bass fishing (where are they?), guitar playing (I stink). I am good at procrastinating and avoiding honey-do's.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:01 AM   #14
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Besides walking, shooting, and fishing, motorcycle riding has probably been my lifelong hobby. Bought my first dirt/street bike when I returned from VN and was living in New Mexico. Spent hours and hours riding off road in the wild. In the 45 years or so since there has only been a handful of years I did without one. We have only taken one long trip out west and that was a few years ago. My Harley is my second vehicle so I use it to run errands and most of my daily transportation needs. When the MH takes off down the road my trailered Harley is behind it instead of a car.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a lot of hobbies but few now we still like to sport shoot and do so near every week. I guess Rv'ing is the longest hobby we have had and still do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #16
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
I belong to an organization called the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS). Some of you might know it as Cowboy Action Shooting. There are over 100,000 of us and we dress in period clothing, shoot guns of the period (or replicas) at steel targets for time. We go by names that are not what we were born with (ALIAS)and in many cases, don't know what anybody's real name is. There are clubs all over the USA and the world. Most clubs have monthly matches and welcome strangers. Many have larger annual matches which usually take all weekend. Those matches usually have a local camping area (where we circle the wagons) and enjoy each other's company and talk guns, attire and tell tall stories of day's events. For more information, see sassnet.com. By the way, I go by Half Fast Rusty and my wife Nancy is Ima Shopper.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #17
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I like a lot of things, fishing, hunting, golfing, geocaching, hiking and my newest thing is videography with my Drone. I even just started a video blog of our travels this year, not finished but there are a few on there. Check it out.
Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote