Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Replacing Ceiling Fan

Got completely fed up with the stock cheap fan - ours only had one speed and that was it. Found a Harbor Breeze the right size and started taking off the old one. Found out that the motor surround wasn't screwed to the mount on one side, but into the ceiling instead. Couldn't figure that one out until I was finishing up installing the new one. Turns out the surround won't fit tight to the ceiling towards the front because of the way they mounted the box up there. Only a small gap, but the whole fan (not just the motor) can wiggle a bit. Fan's installed but I'm not certain I want to stick screws into the ceiling or just put a shim between the upper mounting bracket and ceiling. Anyone do this before and what was your solution?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
Following... We full-time live in our's and the ceiling fan just isn't up to the task, we are beginning to notice what sounds like a bearing going bad after the fan has been on for an hour or so.

I was simply going to do what you did and replace with a residential jobby, did not consider there would be any difference
The Erwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
There isn't any difference with the fan, it's how they mounted it. It's like the box is more level than the ceiling, but not by a whole lot.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #4
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
I will have to get up there and see how they mounted mine. Definitely a planned project for this summer.
The Erwins is offline   Reply With Quote