Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Fridge-Fix

Does anyone have this device that is supposed to help your refrigerator to cool down quicker and more efficiently? If you do, what is your experience with it?
Thanks

Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Lkelly3400
Established Member

M.O.C. #15745
If you're talking about the small battery operated fan that is put on a shelf in the fridge, I've used one for years in several different RVs. It works and will definitely cool it down quicker and operate more efficiently.
Lkelly3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
What device are you talking about???
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
gccampingaotw

M.O.C. #15846
if you are refering to the battery fan inside. I put one in this
year and it helps the refer seems to hold the temp a lot more
constant. Does not wander around as before.
gccampingaotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
X2 on the question what device are you referring to?
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I would venture to say that Petmoose is talking about new device that dieselguy talked about installing several weeks ago. It is an ARP and it monitors the frig and will shut it down and etc if the unit overheats and so forth. There was one on the Silent Auction table at the Fall Rally and I had the privilege to make the highest bid on it. I haven't installed it yet but hope to over the next couple of weeks or so. Jim Fischer had one put on his refrig when it was rebuilt by a gentleman prior to the Fall Rally. The gentleman gave Mr. Fischer a five year guarantee on the work done since he put it on his frig. The repairman said it really works and really helps control the unit.

dieselguy's post is under the Additions and Improvements, on October 4th and the title of the post is Installed a Refrigerator Gadget. Do a search under ARP to find it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:56 AM   #7
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
I think Petmoose is talking about this: http://smartrvproducts.com/works/

The ARP is a safety devices that monitors the boiler temperature of an RV refrigerator and shuts it down before it overheats. Once the boiler has cooled to a safe temp, the ARP restarts the boiler. Overheating can cause the boiler/cooling unit to fail and possibly also result in a fire. Most often the boiler overheats because the frig is operated out of level.

There is a version of the ARP the will also control additional fans on the outside of the frig in the back of it. These additional fans do help the performance the frig somewhat, but the main value provided by the ARP is safety and longevity of the cooling unit by preventing overheating.

Putting a fan inside the cooling cavity (where the food goes) makes a significant improvement in the cool down time and also provides a more even temperature throughout the frig.

There are several options for frig fans from the ones by Camco that run on batteries to ones that are wired in. Search for "refrigerator fan" on eBay to see all the options. If you want the top of the line option, the "SmartRVProducts Fridge-Fix" is it at ONLY $100! The ones on eBay for about $20 do almost the same thing but without a light or shroud.

We've used the wired in version in three different rigs we have had, a great improvement in frig performance.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #8
dwstockman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7272
I installed the Smart RV fan assembly that Dave mentioned in our Norcold 1210 this past spring and it works as advertised. The fridge cooled considerably faster and keeps temps more even top to bottom. Temp stays at 35 degrees with the control set at 5, before we had to have it set at 7-8 to maintain that temp and the best thing ... no ice build up in the cooling fins!
Just my opinion but I think its a good product. Info can be found at their website http://smartrvproducts.com/
dwstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I also installed the Fridge-Fix and it works great. Before the freezer was around 10 degrees and 40 degrees in the fridge with the setting set on 8. After the install with the fridge set to 5 the freezer went down to -4 degrees with the fridge temp at 33 degrees. There is no ice build-up on the fins. I am very pleased with it. I ran the power wire down the drain tube rather than drill a hole like they show in their instructions.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote