Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2015, 03:46 AM   #1
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
Bug Problem

We are currently in central Florida, near Clermont and was wondering if anyone else has experienced little bugs (like fruit flies) coming up from the toilet when flushing. this has only started recently. Would like to know a solution on how to rid the pesky creatures.

Part 2, also I am seeing some stink bugs and would like find out how to get rid of these too. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill C

billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:25 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Fruit fly-like creatures flying out of the toilet....yep, they come out of the campground sewer system into your tank when the dump valve is left open too long and they happen to be in your area of the sewer system. What I do...do the initial toilet flush like normal, but then let the valve close most of the way until the exiting water creates a waterfall effect that they can't fly through. Some hardware stores sell a fruit fly trap that looks like a tiny apple and is filled with a vinegar mix that comes with it. That gets rid of the ones you let in. Haven't tried dosing my black tank with vinegar to see if that keeps them in the tank until they die...only couple of days. STINK BUGS - almost all of the ones that got inside, came via I'll fitting screens, flew or crawled in when door was opened, or the major entry way on a closed up rv...the top side of the vent fans. There are opening there when the vent lid is open. This gives access to the whole of the attic. Had them crawling out into thepancake ceiling lights (still captive), in between the inside and outside shower dome (still captive), and out the cracks around the edges of the bottom plastic edges around the fan blades. This I sealed with white shower/bath chaulking. The ones in the attic eventually die...unless you are in an area where the bugs are plentiful. John
Old 02-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #3
wjwheeler
Established Member

M.O.C. #14149
It took us months to get rid of them in our motor home. We never used a campground connection.
After I replaced the toilet (for a different reason) and poured diluted bleach in the tank several times they disappeared. We used the "fruit fly apples" also. Since they breed and live in the sewer they can carry disease.
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Would it be prudent to spray a little insecticide in the toilet soil pipe? I would also think if you filled the tank with water, let it sit a bit then dump might wash them away. How long can a fruit fly hold it's breath?

Wonder if they are entering from the vent pipe on the roof?
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Google sewer or drain fly. Many articles and methods to eliminate them. They may not have come from the parks sewer system. Breeding cycle is something like 21 days so it can take a while to get rid of the infestation. Yes, they can 'hold their breath' for a long time. (Can live in very low oxygen conditions)
Most effective and probably most expensive is a complete holding tank and drain high pressure clean out. Once and done!

Cant help you with stink bugs.

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The little knats, or fruit flies, or whatever they are called down here seem to come and go. If you aren't using one, get a Flush King and put it on your sewer boom. After letting your black tank empty, make sure you grays are closed and back flush using the Flush King. I would back flush enough to fill your tank at least half full or more. If you do that 3 or 4 times in a row you may get rid of them.

We have been back flushing like crazy with the Flush King plus keeping our grays closed all the time. So far no little flying animals and our sink is not smelling like it was. I agree with jcurtis934, probably many of these types of issues originate from the CG sewer systems.