Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Galley tank fell out

of the brackets that hold it. After traveling on some wonderful roads in central Ca we noticed that we had a major leak from the galley tank. Dropped the belly and found the tank wedged between the cross brackets that hold it up. Was worried about the out flow valve. The propane line was holding some of the tank. I realized I could not proceed with repair. Let the fingers do the walking in the yellow pages and called a mobil RV repair service. Turned out I could not have found a better one. Two young fellows that really knew what they were doing. When tank was removed they found the aft cross member had never been welded in place on the right side. Bad work Keystone. They did the welding and repaired the in flow fitting, Replaced tank and sure enough there was a small leak just below the out valve. Let it dry overnight and this AM I put a lot of ABS over the area. Will test it this afternoon and be on the road tomorrow.

We are parked in the driveway at the HamRad RV Park. Thank you Dennnis and Mary Kay for your great site to work under ones 5th wheel.

Thought it would be neat to take a pic of the tank on their front lawn.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Some time a few years ago I heard of a similar situation. I think it was discovered that additional strapping was needed to hold the tank in the small area of cross members it was supported on. It may have been the black.

Someone will jump in.

Hey, you're out of the snow, right?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Toni,
We're so glad we could provide you a relatively safe and easy place to park while your rig was being fixed. I was also impressed with the Mobile repair fellows. They really did seem to know exactly how to go about fixing your problem.

So how does the water get into the tank? The hole on the top is for the vent? Or is that where the water comes in?

I'm sure the rest of your trip will be problem free. Enjoy your journey and as usual you are always welcome.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Dick, I sure hope that the monkey is out of wrenches.Sounds like he has thrown a lot your way. We're looking forward to seeing you guys in Q. safe travels, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Dennis, I will post an answer here to your question. We did talk about it. The vent is an outlet under the counter top. Another cheap Keystone deal. That is why you smell a sour galley tank. The trap will stop the odor. After the vent it is one pipe to the tank. I guess they thought that it will never be full of water so air can escape back from the tank and into your living area.

The afternoon leak test went great. All back together.

Onward

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
When it rains it pours. You sure have had more than your share this year. Positive thinking this is the last thing to happen and the rest of the winter will be worry free. Enjoy Quartzite and the rest of the winter.

Happy Camping

Don and Mary Ann
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
My goodness. Ya'all have had your share this trip. Glad all is well now, and hope to see you in Q.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We keep the valve on the galley tank closed and the reminder to dump is when the water backs into the sink which happens about every two days. We do not have a smell from the galley tank in the kitchen. There is a cap on that vent under the sink on this 3400 and we were told that prevents the smell?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
In the plumbing world that is called a french drain as a plumber told me ,,they work great but not if its full;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
In Canada the valve under the sink is called a cheater valve.
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Do you know what product they used for the repair, you said it was ABS glue. Did the repair men make the fix or did you. I have a small leak also and am looking for a good brand name glue to use. The last repair I fixed I used some screen pieces as reenforcement it but have another leak and need to find the time to fix it. It may be time for a new tank? I never travel with water in the tank and always leave the gate open at the CGs.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We keep the valve on the galley tank closed and the reminder to dump is when the water backs into the sink which happens about every two days. We do not have a smell from the galley tank in the kitchen. There is a cap on that vent under the sink on this 3400 and we were told that prevents the smell?????
When our galley tank is full or near full, we sometimes get an order from that tank...will have to check if our vent under the sink has a cap on it.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
remember that the gally tank can get just as nasty as the black tank, Food gets down there rots and hence the bad smell. We use as screen in the drain to catch small perticles of food and we keep the galley vaalve closed and dump when necessary.. Works for us..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote