Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Fridge drain tube

I know I've seen this topic before, but a search failed to bring it up. I pulled the vent out earlier to spray behind the fridge, and of course, the white tube broke off again. Seems it has no UV protection in the plastic at all. I intend to temporarily splice in another piece, but know I will eventually have to replace the whole tube. It looks like a b!tch to do so. Any tips?

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Are you talking about the drain tube? With that assumption here is a photo of how I deal with it. I just simply stick the drain through one of the openings of the vent cover. I seemed to have broken or lost the clip that should be on there. However, a person could probably pick up a new clip at a fairly reasonable price.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, that's the tube. The one on ours is white though. It keeps breaking off, a couple inches at a time. I managed to reroute it and got enough slack to let it exit the vent for now, but it is going to eventually have to be replaced. I ran my hand up to where it connects to the back of the fridge. Seems it might be a bugger to replace.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ours is black and we've never had it break. I wonder if the white ones are not UV rated? I've never looked to where it is connected on the fridge so don't have any idea how difficult it would be to replace.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
White tube on two trailers and they get extremely brittle. Any exposed tubing will break if you just look at it. No solution except to get rid of the trailer before the tube needs replacing .
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Ours is Black and 6 years old no problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
WayneM had a good fix for his. He bought some clear tube about 6" long that slides over the white tube. the clear tube sticks out like the black does in the picture. Since the white tube behind the vent is protected from UV it seems to work well.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yep! When I put the rails in to stop the leak around the refer vents I measure the OUTSIDE diameter of the original tube. I only had about 1 inch poking thorough and needed more because the UV kept breaking it off. I think it was 5/8 od, so I went to the hardware store and bought some clear plastic 5/8 ID tubing. Moist it a little bit (you know how) and slip it over the corrugated OEM stuff. Now the clear plastic sticks out and the OEM STUFF is inside away from the UV.

Edited: slipping the new over the old gives you a smooth transition instead of a ridge for "stuff" to build up on.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Yep! When I put the rails in to stop the leak around the refer vents I measure the OUTSIDE diameter of the original tube. I only had about 1 inch poking thorough and needed more because the UV kept breaking it off. I think it was 5/8 od, so I went to the hardware store and bought some clear plastic 5/8 ID tubing. Moist it a little bit (you know how) and slip it over the corrugated OEM stuff. Now the clear plastic sticks out and the OEM STUFF is inside away from the UV.

Edited: slipping the new over the old gives you a smooth transition instead of a ridge for "stuff" to build up on.

Thanks Wayne, I'll sure try that cure. I can run my hand to the end where the tube attaches to the fridge, but can't tell how it attaches. So, I think your approach is best.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wayne, I like your solution and am going to do that with ours. One question.. Did you use enough clear tubing to reach all the way to the fridge or just a few inches to cover what extends outside and maybe a few inches inside to hold it in place? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I used 12 inches of clear tubing and just slipped it over the end of the corrugated tubing. Stuffed everything inside in a serpentine pattern for drainage and pushed the end through one of the vent holes. If the clear brittles up like the corrugated did, you can just pull a little more out and snip it off.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I was told the white tubes are junk and will do just like everyone says. The clear tubes seam to be the answer. If you can find black ones great as the were OK. Bad thing they are no longer made. Sound familiar????
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Sounds like something we'd all better do. An ounce of prevention.....as the saying goes.

Along this line, I had also heard from another RV'er that he had plugged off the very bottom row of vent holes on the outside cover, where the hose comes through. Said that when traveling down the road, the propane flame would keep blowing out and having to relight. After he closed the vents (bottom ones ONLY) he said that ended his problem. Anyone else heard of this problem/solution?
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
TAKPAK, We don't have that problem as we shut our propane off while traveling. We are only on the road about 6-7 hours max and freezer and fridge stay plenty cold. We, and we know, not others, consider this a safety issue to travel with propane on and an open flame.....To each his own, I guess..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
TAKPAK,

Regarding the blocking of vent holes.... I would not do that. I think it might be a safety concern. It certainly could effect the cooling of the fridge. We do travel with our propane on and have never had a problem with the flame going out. The pilot light is an electronic type so we never have to light. Perhaps the older types might have that problem.

I've never heard of anyone blocking the vent holes.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Thanks for your input on blocking the vents. I just wondered if anyone else had had this issue, or tried this idea. The person that told me about it is the only one I've heard of doing this. I think I will pass on that idea. It is also a very valid point about traveling with an open flame being on.........!

Thanks all.

Terry
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote