Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wheel failure problem

We need to address 'The elephant in the room' with this wheel deal.

There have been members with aluminum Treadit wheels failure with the 80# tires, I think also with 110# tires.
Then Treadit passed out stickers re-rating rather Willy-nilly at a rally, I got them through the mail from Jennifer.
Now they changed their stance on it saying they re-tested the wheels, and we are back to 80#.
Did they change because:
1. Unsafe?
2. Liability issues?
3. Ran out of stickers?
4. They have too many failures with the higher pressure tires?

This means all the stickers are basically worthless, and more to the point, all who have 100# in their new tires are questioning the safety of the move.
I am approaching my time that I need to buy tires. Do I have to buy new wheels now? I am going with the higher pressure tires.
The members who had one wheel fail and the rest are questionable, or don't match are now out in the cold.
Do we need to get pro-active with Treadit?

What do you think about this?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ozz,
My thoughts exactly. They gave me the stickers at the Fall Rally and now apparently they are no good. I think I'll call Tredit this week and not wait until this years Fall Rally to confront them.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Ozz. So many questions and so few answers. It seems as if RVers are treated as second class when it comes to the many safety issues that have been identified on this forum; tire failures, u bolts that stretch, shackles that fail, spring supports that bend. Through it all no recalls leaving each owner to fight his own battle. Contrast this with the auto industry where even spiders prompt a recall. Will we RVers ever be treated in the same manner as auto owners. I'm not holding my breath.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
berridge.... please don't hold your breath... You are gonna turn blue and pass out.

You can add front caps that fall apart, tanks dropping from their positions or cracking because they're not installed correctly, not cleaning up after themselves when putting rigs together, faulty wiring, gas and electrical routing problems, poor connections, landing gear failures, slideouts not working right and appliances designed for travel and just not holding up. The list is too long and the only saving grace is that it's not just Montanas.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
So, how many of you have had a wheel problem? I have seen a couple of you have had a crack in one of the spokes. What else?

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Roy, the cracks are what I was referring to, I'm not sure about other problems.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz I hate to get in this it might jinks me but mine are atleast 6 yrs old and no problems so far. but I may not be as heavy as some well the rv anyway. lol. I did have a friend that orderd a set of alum wheels and changed his to a name brand USA wheel. It was for a keystone product. I love the alum wheels but I think the steel ones are a better wheel do you know if the rating is higher for a steel wheel. I don't want to change mine just wondering????.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote