Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
MIFI crashes HELP

I have MIFI hooked to 3 computers through WIFI, 2 desk tops and my HP mini. My mini and one desk top crashes constantly. The signal strength is very good on the computers that crash and very weak on the one that does not crash. My HP will crash at least 10 times an hour, in fact it crashed while I was typing this. That is Internet explorer 7 crashes. Then I haft to start all over again. I have tried Goggle chrome with the same problem. Does any body else have Verizon MIFI and do you have this problem?
Thanks Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't think it is browser specific, but try Firefox. It is rapidly becoming the favorite.

Describe what you mean by "crashes." A crash to me is the old blue screen of death.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We've had Verizon MIFI for about a year now, no problems as you describe. Whenever we have had trouble getting on it has been our laptop and that is seldom. We have 2 laptops, but we take them with us when we travel.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I agree that defining exactly what you are experiencing might help. But I suspect it is not your wireless source that is causing your computers to crash. You could test this to some extent by operating your PC off line or with a wired network input if one is available. A PC that crashes ten times a day is either close to life expectancy or needs some registry or security maintenance. Browsers can lock up on any particular web site if the web host has a server problem, or if it doesn't like whatever data you entered at that particular moment (sometimes they get touchy).

If you're using IE7 you would probably like the upgrade to IE8. Firefox is a good alternative if you don't have a bunch of add-ons installed.
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Send a message via AIM to dreamers2010
My DH has had trouble with Google Chrome crashing on his laptop but we have not had problems with the mifi itself. Had ours since June and love it.

Judy
dreamers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
By crash I mean I get a notice "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" and closes out.
I have Verizon wireless Internet service through me cell phone, and never have a problem. I do not think this is a conflict problem because one computer with the problem does not have my cell phone Internet software installed.
I did a Google search to see if I could find a solution there, it seems this is a more common problem than I thought. It affects a lot of people and Verizon doesn't have an answer.
Thanks Lynwood
Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
We've had MIFI for 6 months and I love it......thanks to John Kohl and his class last year at the Rally! Whenever I've had a problem which hasn't been often I just call Verizon and it's figured out immediately. Give them a call!
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Had my MIFI since last Dec and never had a single crash. Often run two laptops.
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Lynwood,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your MiFi. I hope they are able to resolve your problem soon. From what you have described it does not sound like it is a problem with the MiFi device but rather a software issue

Have you tried running the device via a usb connection?

We have had a MiFi for about 3 months and have not had any problems. We are using a MacBook Pro. Actually we're using two plus an iPod Touch. No problem with any of the computers.

While there are some disconnect problems being reported by some folks it does not appear to be a huge problem. Please let us know how your problem is resolved.

Good luck,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
This works with windows7 and windowsxp as well

Try downloading this cleaner from cnet.com. They are a trusted computer industry company.

Their web site is http://www.cnet.com/

Here is the link to the cleaner for your computer which is free and quite frankly the best free one I have found.

From CNET:
"This utility offers a one-stop-shop for cleaning and maintaining your computer for better overall system performance. The interface is very simple, featuring only a few buttons, which makes it easy to get down to cleaning immediately (in fact, it automatically runs on start-up) and doesn't confuse you with multiple steps."

I have only been using it for a month and a half and I am completely happy with it. With over 46 million people that have downloaded it. 4 star reviews by both CNET and over 8 thousand individual great reviews. Well I have downloaded it 4 times myself for various systems.

Once you have it installed there are 3 bubbles to select. The software will ask you to make a restore point (click yes) it and will do this for you automatically (good insurance on their and your part).

You can click on the Center bubble (care) and it will do things automatically for you OR you can do it by the numbers below.

1. I normally start with the right bubble called Diagnose System. Two clicks and some time for coffee and it will fix your system right up.
1a. Spyware Removal
1b. Registry Fix
1c. Privacy Sweep
1d. Junk Files Clean

2. Then do the top bubble maintain windows. Two clicks again and your system will be faster.
2a. System Optimazation
2b. Security Defense
2c. Disk Defragment
2d. Security Analyzer

3. The bottom bubble has some links to external applications and this is up to you if you want to download (I haven't tried most of them so I can not say which ones are worth the time and effort) I do recommend the tuneup internet booster though. Select the One Megabyte seems to provide me with the best throughput. Experiment with the settings for your ISP/connection speed.
3a. Internet Booster
3b. Smart RAM

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Sy...-10407614.html

IF you are in need for an antivirus program http://www.avast.com FREE for home and educational use.
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-...-10019223.html

From CNET page:
"Avast Free 5, an A-list freeware antivirus app, provides the same steadfast protection of well-known, pricier antivirus programs. Avast is remarkable for both its effectiveness and arguably providing the most complete free antivirus on the market."
This has been downloaded 110 million times. I have been using it for over 7 years and am completely happy with it. YOU do have to fill out the registration form (within 30 days)and input the serial # they email you

best of luck with your computer problem.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
There are actually web sites which cause the problem you describe. I've encountered this, re-booted, gone back to the web site, same effect. I've no idea what causes it, but suspect it's either a script that IE doesn't know how to handle or some other incompatibility. Since I have no way of knowing if any damage is being done when this happens, I switched over to Firefox permanently (I'd been playing with it but finally made the permanent switch after Internet Explorer V8 came out).

doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
I also have the MIFI220 THRU SPRINT, but the same devise. Have you tried updating the firmware? It might help with your issue. Good luck
ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks everybody. Zerizon is sending me a new MIFI box. I don't think it will help but I will keep you posted.
Thanks Lynwood