Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Considerate Pet Owners Please

The dog aggressively advanced and bared his teeth; he wanted a piece of me. I moved to protect my wife, but the dog kept coming, I swung the binoculars just missing, he retreated temporarily until the owner yelled loudly in which the dog obeyed the command.

The owner rushed over, scolded and then beat the poor dog, and yelled something about the dog having to stay on its leash the rest of the time.

I couldn't fault the dog, he was only protecting his supposed territory. I felt sorry for the dog, he had a stupid owner.

What makes dog owners think they don't need to follow posted leash rules with their dogs? This has happened to us just way to many times....We are amazed at how inconsiderate some dog owners can be with other people's rights, and not think a thing about it because (insert excuse here)??...sorry dog owners, we just don't get it!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Don't be sorry. I have two small dogs and I still don't get it!

aaaaand scolding the dog that it needs "to be on the leash the rest of the day"....excuse me!

You are right the dog was just doing what is natural. Some people should not own a dog (or any animal).

I don't have any answers. This is a hard topic. If you speak up and tell the owner how you feel about the dog running loose you risk a confrontation. Then if you don't speak up then you are allowing this behavior to continue....Life!? What is one to do!
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

If rules are not enforced then what good are they?
I’ve seen a lot of dogs at parks that were not on leashes. A dog is a dog and it’s going to act like one. We have a small dog and I feel that we need to keep him on a leash if not for everyone else just to keep him protected from other loose dogs.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
simonsrf,
Well said. Most of the people we know who have pets take good care of them. And, you're right, dogs are territorial. I love dogs and if you come by anywhere near me with your dog (if you have one), I'm going to let it sniff me so I can pet it and give it a treat (with owner's permission, of course).

I don't know where these people get off at that let their dogs run loose when the rules are the rules. I know, there are a lot of people who say that rules are meant to be broken. Oh yeah? Drive 100 mph and see what happens.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We have owned lots and lots of dogs, and I've only had one that I would trust not using a leash for. She was an Australian Shepard, and we think her previous owner may have abused her because she was very timid and shy of people and completely non-aggressive. When walking, she would stay within 3 feet of me and if we met another person, she would always put me between herself and the other person. Every other dog has always been a leash when camping. Some people just lack common sense.

Another pet peeve is people who don't clean up after their dog!!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Don't mean to steal this thread, but Simonsrf, I just love that picture you've posted in your siggy.. So cool. And I totally agree with your take on the irresponsible dog owners. There are so many of them. But for each one of those bad guys, we find there are more that follow the rules and leash and scoop when appropriate.
sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie, Last week, the night before leaving our CG, Villa was attacked by a dog sitting in a screen room, off leash. Villa ended up with a hole in her neck and ear. The offending party paid for the vet check AND ended up putting their dog down as they said it has become too protective. They were also told to leave the park immediately. Now, as a result of the owner's stupidity, we have to give Villa antibiotics for ten days and she had to have her ear and neck shaved to clean up the wounds. Cathy was livid, to say the least. BTW Cathy was walking our dog, on a leash, in the road. I agree with you 100%.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No one likes jerks like the one that owned this dog.

I rarely walk my yorkies in campgrounds. I can count on one hand the number of campgrounds we have been in, with yorkies, where we have not been challenged, in some form, growling, charging, chasing, etc. by dogs off leash, or tied to tables with long leads.

That said, these jerks don't feel ANY rules are meant for them. They will not clean up after their pooch. They will leave trash in the fire pits, trash all over the campsite when they leave. They will dump with hoses with holes in them, yes, you read that right. They will drive any speed they want to, forget posted speeds.

And, they make life pretty miserable for the rest of us, the ones that follow the rules.

They are jerks (I have more colorful descriptive terms for them, but cannot post them here.)

We cannot change them, we have to try to live with them. It is NOT easy! I do the head in the sand thingy, ignore them if at all possible.

And, don't walk my dogs, even tho they would enjoy it and really could use the exercise. Poor things, are lucky to get 4 campsites away from Tana. SIGHHH

Some of you may remember my rants about the campground where I was walking Gallagher and he was charged by the campground manager's OFF LEASH dog!! Campground was not that full, thought we could sneak in a stroll. WRONG!!

Yes, this subject upsets me.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our Basenji is a very territorial and protective dog. Which is exactly the reason that she NEVER goes outside without a leash held by one of her masters. We do not let her outside period without being leashed. Those who have visited our rig know that she is kept in her crate most of the time when we have company. However, our dog is also our alarm and defense system. I do not believe in guns and am very happy knowing that DW and the girls are protected when I am not there. A dog is a great asset, but most importantly is a great responsibility. Some people do not understand the concept of responsibility, that is where the problems always start. I agree with Robbie about the problem being stupid, irresponsible owners.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 AM   #10
teames27
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1921
Carol,
It upsets most responsible pet owners. BTW if you want to walk your (kids) while at rally, we can carry them, between the 2 of us and when away from all the campers they can walk with us! See you in Goshen. Get Hubby to get you there asap! Terrie
teames27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Our Golden is about as docile a dog as you would ever meet. And we still never let her go out without being on a lease.
I agree with all. It is not about the dog. It is about the rude, inconsiderate, ignorant, (need a thesaurus here) owners.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #12
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
I run into this situation all the time at horse shows with my daughter. I've taken my dogs once and was out walking them when we were charged by a Dalamation off leash. Which is a ongoing problem at shows regardless of the 25.00 fine no one enforces. My two dogs are fairly good sized labs. What made me more mad then anything was the owner was no where is sight and the dog only turned tail and ran obviously realizing it was biting off more then it could chew, on top of me screaming at it at the top of my lungs. We plan to start traveling with our dogs and will have to stay on guard at all times, which to me really takes the enjoyment out of it for us responsible dog owners. My dogs are crate trained and x-pen trained, otherwise they are on a leash. Period. Not worth the chance for them or for anyone else.
jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Thank you everyone for your support.

As non-pet owners, we belong to a huge minority here in the RV world. We live in our RV, and will continue to put up with this irresponsible group of pet owners....and we'll continue to complain. The shame is that there are many responsible pet owners who respect the rights of others.

We love animals and pets, but just plain despise those people who believe their dog is different because of his breed, or he's so cute, or can do a trick, or lick your face....or.....

Our voice is small on this subject, so if you can help pass the word to protect our rights, we would appreciate the gesture.

Sandy, I am the king of hijacking posts, thank you for the compliment, stay tuned.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Robbie, as responsible pet owners, we too are starting to feel like we belong to a huge minority as well. That being pet owners who actually follow the rules. Like Al & Carol, we and our dogs are constantly exposed to aggressive dogs and it's getting so bad that one has to scout out a walking path to avoid nasty confrontations with both other dogs and their owners. One quickly learns which streets we do not travel on shortly after park arrival. We now also carry a spray with us as we walk because we know at some point we will need to use it. Unfortunately, the spray really needs to be used on the owners. Just last week we were in a very nice and expensive park and wouldn't you know it the OWNERS had two fairly aggressive dogs that were never on a leash. Of course they were very clear to point out the PARK RULES during check in and we now wonder to whom these typical Park rules really apply to.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Robbie, as responsible pet owners, we too are starting to feel like we belong to a huge minority as well. That being pet owners who actually follow the rules. Like Al & Carol, we and our dogs are constantly exposed to aggressive dogs and it's getting so bad that one has to scout out a walking path to avoid nasty confrontations with both other dogs and their owners. One quickly learns which streets we do not travel on shortly after park arrival. We now also carry a spray with us as we walk because we know at some point we will need to use it. Unfortunately, the spray really needs to be used on the owners. Just last week we were in a very nice and expensive park and wouldn't you know it the OWNERS had two fairly aggressive dogs that were never on a leash. Of course they were very clear to point out the PARK RULES during check in and we now wonder to whom these typical Park rules really apply to.
Rules are rules. I am now going to start reading the rules BEFORE paying...and if the rules are broken, I'll demand my money back, and I'll also post a negative comment on RV Park Reviews...don't know what else I can do...again, thanks for the support, and thanks for being responsible.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I can tell you more stories, but, not now. I have reported several incidents here on the MOC, with lots of details and rants.

All said and done, I will camp where I want, and I just don't walk my dogs. Cept - - - - - - - that sometimes even that is not a fool proof plan - - - - -

In Elkhart recently, campground NOT full, but they still parked a unit right beside us. Crate (x-pen) out for the fur kids, and still cannot go outside, cause that unit next to us had 3 large dogs, at least ONE on a long lead, tied to the unit, owners inside, and the dog crawled UNDER the unit to try to get to my yorkies.

Gotta say, with the number of jerks out there, I am surprised any campgrounds allow dog visitors.

But, I will go back to, I am gonna camp where I want, and I'll just not walk the yorks, and I will continue to ignore the jerks. Life is too short to let them get to me much. So, now, my rants are done, and I have work to do and a life to live, and I will try not to let the jerks upset me. They sure can ruin a day, eh?? But, only if we let em! Don't let em, then we WIN! they LOSE!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our Fur kid "Montana" is a large one 88 lbs. However he is always on a leash but is a voice controled dog. He has been bitten three times by small dogs, which were totally out of control, so I try very hard not to let "Montana" around small dogs. We always tell the RV parks we go to that we have a large dog, and tell them his weight is 88 lbs and if they don't allow large dogs we mark them off the list. And yes we always pick up his dropings. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Robbie, Even when we were camped at Clark Canyon over Labor Day, where "Dogs Must Be on Leashes" signs were posted everywhere, we saw only one dog on a leash. The other hundred were running free, doing their business on any campsite other than their own. The people next to us (3 families, 3 trailers) had a total of 10 dogs with them. So, we didn't bring our dogs out to the water--didn't want to hurt their feelings by making them walk on their leashes. They had to stay at the house and miss all the fun.

I am in your corner 100% about irresponsible dog owners. I was spoiled at the 7 Feathers rally--everyone had such adorable, well-trained, LEASHED dogs; we didn't bring our 2, because they're not happy on leashes. Staying at the Bureau of Reclamation park was a real eye-opener. Of course, none of those pet owners staying there were Monty owners, either. Hmmmm . . . Maybe that's why they didn't pay attention to the park signs. Montana owners are CONSIDERATE.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

I can tell you more stories, but, not now. I have reported several incidents here on the MOC, with lots of details and rants.

All said and done, I will camp where I want, and I just don't walk my dogs. Cept - - - - - - - that sometimes even that is not a fool proof plan - - - - -

In Elkhart recently, campground NOT full, but they still parked a unit right beside us. Crate (x-pen) out for the fur kids, and still cannot go outside, cause that unit next to us had 3 large dogs, at least ONE on a long lead, tied to the unit, owners inside, and the dog crawled UNDER the unit to try to get to my yorkies.

Gotta say, with the number of jerks out there, I am surprised any campgrounds allow dog visitors.

But, I will go back to, I am gonna camp where I want, and I'll just not walk the yorks, and I will continue to ignore the jerks. Life is too short to let them get to me much. So, now, my rants are done, and I have work to do and a life to live, and I will try not to let the jerks upset me. They sure can ruin a day, eh?? But, only if we let em! Don't let em, then we WIN! they LOSE!
Carol,
If you can't exercise your rights, then they have won....sad day. In your particular case, I would have made a big stink!

I'm on your side!!! Walk the Yorks!

I'm not an advocate for no dogs, but in some National and State Parks, dogs are not allowed on the trails, not allowed left in a trailer or automobile, and not allowed to be tied or sheltered outside in the campsites.

If this trend continues like Carolyn suggested happened to her, Fido will not be allowed anywhere except in your own backyard! That would be a real shame for responsible pet owners and pets. So, by speaking up, maybe we can get rid of the irresponsible. I promise to do my share.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I guess you could say they have won, if you look at it like that. But, I choose to protect my little yorkie terrorists.

Yorkies are, well, small little yappy brats! I know this. I know they are DOGS first! I had 4, now, 3, I have a pack. There is a pack mentality, it goes way back in doggie history. If you have a pack and don't acknowledge same, if only to yourself, then you are not doing right by the dogs.

I have posted about my feelings about dogs and dog owners many times in the past here at the MOC. I have registerd complaints with campgrounds, even the owners. I have had more than one owner tell me they don't care if I ever come back. So, I post here, I don't go back to those campgrounds, I keep as close an eye on my terrorists as I can, and I don't walk them.

I also appreciate the support I get from MOC members. Appreciate your talking and registering complaints.

I have accepted this. Do I like it? Nope!!! But, I have other battles to fight and need to save whatever energy my Maker gave me for those fights.