Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Steep Grades Stories

As a newbie to the 5er world, I would enjoy hearing some fish stories about steep grades and negotiating them saftly/lessons learned. I'll start by sharing my experiance as a passenger pulling two John Deere 310 backhoes up Vulcan mountain B'ham Al early 70's with an old borrowed dump truck. Lost brakes and clutch 2/3 up hill and Truck/trailer/cargo started sliding backwards,driver/friend was dieing laughing as I was climbing out the window(to keep from dieing),he got the rig stopped and was able to get in gear-got to the top only to remember NO BRAKES. Wild ride downhill,was able to get her stopped again with emerg brake..Called tow truck the rest is history. Lesson learned-don't borrow an old dump truck to pull two heavy backhoes and trailer..Steve

FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I start down the mountain in Tow/Haul and the gear shift in 3. I try to remain at about 35MPH or slower depending on the grade and curves. If it gets too steep I'll pull it down another gear.

While I don't have a personal steep grade story I do have one....

The other night on the Telly they were doing a segment on the poor condition of the "emergency runaway ramps" on a local mountainess hiway. They had the video camera setup and running at the foot of the ramp and the reporter was reporting in the background.
Talk about being in the right place at the right time? You guessed it. A U-haul type van came flying off the hiway and onto the the ramp. The gravel of the ramp resembled a mogel. Well the truck launched off the first "mogel" and nose dived into the second at about a 45° angle. The truck than did a summer salt and then rolled onto it's side. The driver and passenger crawled out unharmed but quite shaken up.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

I start down the mountain in Tow/Haul and the gear shift in 3. I try to remain at about 35MPH or slower depending on the grade and curves. If it gets too steep I'll pull it down another gear.

While I don't have a personal steep grade story I do have one....

The other night on the Telly they were doing a segment on the poor condition of the "emergency runaway ramps" on a local mountainess hiway. They had the video camera setup and running at the foot of the ramp and the reporter was reporting in the background.
Talk about being in the right place at the right time? You guessed it. A U-haul type van came flying off the hiway and onto the the ramp. The gravel of the ramp resembled a mogel. Well the truck launched off the first "mogel" and nose dived into the second at about a 45° angle. The truck than did a summer salt and then rolled onto it's side. The driver and passenger crawled out unharmed but quite shaken up.
What do you reckon the odds of that happening were?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:30 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
On the return trip from Gettysburg I came across some fairly steep grades. I took route 30 west and got into at least one 8% grade which slowed us down to about 25 MPH or so on it. I didn't worry about not being able to get to the top of the hill which was about 2100 feet in elevation. I felt that I could always use four wheel drive low if necessary; I wouldn't want to but I would use it if I had to.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did that same Rt 30 out of Breezwood. 8 and 9% grades with the F350 and 3400 weighing in at @ 22k + TH mode on the downhill side to keep at the speed limit of 25MPH or less. The 6.4 did ok but made some really horrific noises and my guage indicated readings I do not care to see again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
When ever I hit steep grades I always let the tranny take me down and never go over 1000 degres on the exaust temp.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Sounds like I need to invest in some gauges,I was told that gauges cause the TV to loose value because for some reason all trucks that have gauges must have a chiped engine. Seems to me that a HD truck should come with all necessary equiptment to tow. My 07.5 Dodge has only a tranny light and by then it's to late. Steve
Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
FLSTS03.. That gauge thing is something that we always hear but not true at all.. My Ford Warranty says warranty will be voided if any performance enhancing software or chip" A guage is just a guage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
The gauges didn't hurt our trade in of our diesel. We had the 3 gauges and would recommend them. Ours was not chipped. We still got big $$$ Which I think is pretty good on our trade in.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Yup don't leave home with out em. Like Steve said if the idiot light comes on the damage has already been done.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
A hundred years ago (1980's) I was working for a company that had two trailers, a goos neck weighing in at about 16000 pounds, and a TT weighing in at 15000 pounds. They were laboratories and had some heavy gear for compression testing and such. We had a satellite operation out of Carson, CA and the TT was out there along with a 1997 ford 1 ton dually with whatever diesel was at that time. I had to fly out and haul it back.

I hooked up and took off on the LA Freeway, enroute to 29 Palms for the New Year Holiday. As I entered the freeway I put my left turn signal on to merge and the trailer brought me almost to a screaching halt. Someone had wired the turn signal to the brakes. Made it to 29 Stumps and fixed that. Left on 2nd of January for Texas.

Coming out of Calif. I was having problems and was constantly shifting from 3rd to 4th to 5th just trying to maintain speed. I could not for the life of me get the rig up to past 45 MPH and then it would slow down again and I'd be shifting again. This went on for quite some time. As dusk came on I noticed the lights of an 18 wheeler way behind me and expected he would pass me up soon, but no, he must have had a real heavy load, right. Shift, up, down, up, down and getting frustrated.

And then, I reached the sign. "Welcome to the Contenental Divide."

That is one tough grade that gives an optical illusion of being flat.

On the down side, it was fun. Then when I stopped I noticed a broken hanger on a tripple axle. Spent Sat and Sun in New Mexico until the shops opened and got it weleded Also added an anti-sway bar and what a difference that made.

Also, many years ago, my F-I-L (rest his soul) lost the brakes to the MH going out over the Rockies and used one of those run-away ramps. Quite and experience I hear.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well last saturday we left west union , sc and only had 95 miles to go to get to waynesville,nc so i put it in the gps and we left west union cgat 10;00 am as we only had a 2 hr or less trip but it took 3 plus hrs as it took us up hy 107 which now we know goes to 6000' plus and it is all turns as fast as you can turn and then a switch back , well we got 7.2 mpg as we never got over 30 mph as we were mostly at 15 or 20 .. bad drive never pull over it again . i talked to a guy in a monty from west union here and they drive it all the time in the car .. 1 1/2 hrs but he has never pulled over it ,,
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
My reflection on this topic...
Sister-in-law booked 3 campsites in Stevens Pa here -> http://www.starlitecampingresort.com/
Comment she neglected to "highlight" was "Are you aware about Furnace Road grade leading to our campground?"
I was the lead rig, 1990 F150 Ford passenger van pulling a 30ft SOB TT followed by Brother-in-law 1991 F350 7.3L Diesel Dually pulling a large SOB 5er, and in rear was another Brother-in-law 92 Chev 2500 towing a 30ft SOB TT.
I made the left turn, no big deal...winding road slight grade...until I made the last turn to discover a long radical uphill climb for which I put the peddle to the floor, varrooommm goes the 5.8L and the speedo slowly begins its decent from 30 mph towards 0 mph!!?
All passengers lean forward, like that makes a difference! CB cracks open to the sound of my F350 Bro...commenting on how I need to pick up the pace as he is closing in...argh...!!!
Well, we turn the corner into the entrance, thank goodness no-one is coming downhill requiring us to stop...although we are now sub 5 mph!!!
---No problems getting to our campsite after check-in....what a beautiful vista at night...and leaving was not an issue as brakes were all good for downhill run.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
on the Topic:

Few years back... Just a young Family.. with a Super cab Pick-em up.. and a 26' TT as we were heading down a grade 4-6% in Western WA... not to steep... not to flat... my Wife says to me Dear.... Yes I reply... DEAR.... YES... I again reply.... !!NO..DEER!!!... hiding in the shadows.. A LARGE Buck and his heirum of Doe are standing in the middle of the road.. on a blind turn... bout crapped my self... stood on the HORN almost as hard as I did the brakes. Luckily...for all involved the Buck decided he did not want to tangle with such a LOUD and Rude Monster... We still laugh about it today...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #15
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Steepest grade I've been on (with my class C) was Rt22 out of Jackson, Wyoming a 10% grade. The old V10 was revved up and I was lucky to keep it at 25mph, worried about holding up traffic behind me going up hill, until I saw the truck behind me widening the gap. He was having a tough time doing 20mph. Downhill in first gear was not fun either, but we made it with no problem.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Last spring (07) as we were heading back after a winter in Ga. we were doing the Battlefield crawl up the east coast. We stayed at the National horse ranch at Gettysburg. One day we went to Harpers Ferry with just the truck, we took Hwy 77 which goes over the top of Catoctin Mountain to Hagerstown. That drive rivaled even some of the mountain highways on the Va, W.Va border. We came back to Gettysburg on the interstate through Frederick. When we headed home after a week in Gettysburg hauling our 30ft SOB I mistakenly turned onto 77 again. All of a sudden I realized that THERE AIN'T ANY PLACE TO TURN AROUND TILL HARPERS FERRY!!!! I was swearing and driving very slowly and just saw a state park on the right and pulled in. No place to turn around by the gate so we drove on, for 3 miles till we found a parking area on the right that rose above the road we were on about 40 feet. I stopped on the road, turned on the flashers and had Betsy get out and stop any traffic. Then I backed around an up hill corner about a 120 degree turn. It took a few minutes to get it aroun d without hitting a car or tree but finally we finished and headed out of the park. We got back to the freeway went back to Frederick and took I-70 to I-68. There were a few 8% grades on that route but after almost having to drive 77 it was a cake walk.. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #17
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Thanks everyone for your stories and experiances.
A few more questions. Are most steep grades marked and normally can you find turn arounds/alternate routes. What would be the steepest grade you would attempt? I have the new Dodge tranny with a manual shift option. Would you suggest using that option on Steep grades?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Moonshine Pass Rd, No kidding, July 2007. Cathy and I were headed to Siletz Bay, OR and had gone thru Corvalis on Hiway 20. We decided to go thru Logsden and Alice, our GPS lady, had us make a right turn up Moonshine Pass Rd. After turning unto this gravel road I figured something was wrong, but my navigator insisted on going UP the hill. A little further up, I had to put the turck in 4 low as it was starting to slip. I went just a little farther where there was a large bend in the road. I informed my navigator that I was turning around. It took about ten back and forth movements before I let her back in the truck and we went down the hill. At the bottom a logging truck was approaching to go up the hill. I flagged him down and he wanted to know what the hell I was doing up there, seems it was a new logging road into Siletz indian reservation. He redirected me to the right road to Logsden, however we backtracked to hiway 20 and followed it to Toledo and then turned north to Siletz. Lesson learned: Don't trust GPS ALL the time. I now just use GPS when near CG or in the cities. Whew!!! That could have been a real disaster......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Quote " Thanks everyone for your stories and experiances.
A few more questions. Are most steep grades marked and normally can you find turn arounds/alternate routes. What would be the steepest grade you would attempt? I have the new Dodge tranny with a manual shift option. Would you suggest using that option on Steep grades?"

Answer, Since I've done a 10% one (above), I would pass on anything greater. I would think/hope most grades over that would be marked at a point where you could bypass them.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, I use a book called "Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers" There is also one for the East which I need to get. Gives great info on grades, pull outs and signage on certain passes. I would not hesitate to do 8% grades and maybe even some steeper ones for short distances. I use Tow Haul for going up the hills and manual shifting going down.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote